36 years ago today. Super Ally League Cup Final hat trick v celtic

Kirky loyalist

Big Jock had the Battle Fever on.
We packed out our end of Hampden unlike the other lot.
Bobby Russell sublime.
Peter McCloy with another assist.
Big dumpling Aitken conceding his first Rangers cup winning penalty.
And Super Ally doing what he just kept doing, slaying the beasts.

36 years!

Why was there end so empty

bucephalus

Big Aitken was always hard done to, eh? Liked Bonner having a pop at the clown.

Burns was caught for the penalty but I'm surprised he never got whiplash with his twisting dive through the air.

Sorensen68

Bladdered in the Rangers End that day.
But recall the pre-match shenanigans.
The organisers had stuck flags in the turf to indicate which team should line up where for the the pre-match pleasantries, but got it wrong.
The teams came down the tunnel, and as ever Rangers headed left.
Wallace came across a green flag in the turf.
Ripped it out and threw it as far as he could.
Set the tone.

archimedes

This is the first game I clearly remember watching on tv, I would have been 8 at the time.

Used to love the big punt outs from the Lighthouse.

Last edited:

blueboyblue

Out of interest regarding YouTube videos on the forum. They dont work for me. I press play then a black screen appears. What am I doing wrong?

jefftracy

What a game. 36 years ago is just crazy.
Remember being so gutted when they scored the last minute penalty to equalize and was mentally drained by the end of extra time.

Up steps the hammer

I
Bobby Russell sublime.

36 years!

4 years before I was born unfortunately

looway

My first cup final too. What a day. Sections H and J were amazing. We used to whistle a tune (can't remember/don't know) and when the whole end did it sounded tremendous. A turnaround game for Ally but even so he had been that poor prior to this that it still took time for him to be fully accepted. Hard to believe when you look at what he achieved. He had more desire to succeed as a Ranger than any other. He must have felt horrendous at the abuse he took early on at us but by Christ he never lay down to it. No Surrender is as apt for Ally as Big Jock. An absolute hero and will be to his dying day.

Flying High

It’s scary that this was 36 years ago. I can remember the game well.At that time this cup victory was one of the highlights during a few tough years following the team.

two2tango

Official Ticketer
One thing watching the game again were the dugouts reversed? Looked like it? Why would this happen?

Chocco

36 years ago wow , I wasn’t there but I remember ma da coming home after the game , we had a party and a sing song in the house

Barrymoped

It’s unreal how Super went from being skinny as hell to one of our more “stocky “ players during his playing days! Never effected his ability to rattle in the goals though, especially against them.

Gauche.

What a man.
Great viewing.
Thanks for posting.
Changed days, as Mr Wallace is interviewed holding the cup, someone is belting out Flower of Scotland in the background. o_O
And for the avoidance of doubt, the good Davie Provan calls us " the Rangers ".:cool:

Alex Venters

Bobby Russell sublime.

36 years!

Got married on the Friday, postponed honeymoon to the Monday to attend the game.

BSPECIAL

I remember that game for one other incident. It was Aitken elbowing big Dave McPherson on the jaw at a corner for them. 2nd half I think and it was a right belt in the jaw that even then went unpunished so nothing changed now.Anyone else remember it or got the video of the game?