36 years ago today. Super Ally League Cup Final hat trick v celtic

Bladdered in the Rangers End that day.
But recall the pre-match shenanigans.
The organisers had stuck flags in the turf to indicate which team should line up where for the the pre-match pleasantries, but got it wrong.
The teams came down the tunnel, and as ever Rangers headed left.
Wallace came across a green flag in the turf.
Ripped it out and threw it as far as he could.
Set the tone.

This is the first game I clearly remember watching on tv, I would have been 8 at the time.

Used to love the big punt outs from the Lighthouse.

Last edited:
Out of interest regarding YouTube videos on the forum. They dont work for me. I press play then a black screen appears. What am I doing wrong?

What a game. 36 years ago is just crazy.
Remember being so gutted when they scored the last minute penalty to equalize and was mentally drained by the end of extra time.

I
Big Jock had the Battle Fever on.
We packed out our end of Hampden unlike the other lot.
Bobby Russell sublime.
Peter McCloy with another assist.
Big dumpling Aitken conceding his first Rangers cup winning penalty.
And Super Ally doing what he just kept doing, slaying the beasts.

36 years!

4 years before I was born unfortunately

My first cup final too. What a day. Sections H and J were amazing. We used to whistle a tune (can't remember/don't know) and when the whole end did it sounded tremendous. A turnaround game for Ally but even so he had been that poor prior to this that it still took time for him to be fully accepted. Hard to believe when you look at what he achieved. He had more desire to succeed as a Ranger than any other. He must have felt horrendous at the abuse he took early on at us but by Christ he never lay down to it. No Surrender is as apt for Ally as Big Jock. An absolute hero and will be to his dying day.

It’s scary that this was 36 years ago. I can remember the game well.At that time this cup victory was one of the highlights during a few tough years following the team.

One thing watching the game again were the dugouts reversed? Looked like it? Why would this happen?

36 years ago wow , I wasn’t there but I remember ma da coming home after the game , we had a party and a sing song in the house

It’s unreal how Super went from being skinny as hell to one of our more “stocky “ players during his playing days! Never effected his ability to rattle in the goals though, especially against them.

What a man.
Great viewing.
Thanks for posting.
Changed days, as Mr Wallace is interviewed holding the cup, someone is belting out Flower of Scotland in the background. o_O
And for the avoidance of doubt, the good Davie Provan calls us " the Rangers ".:cool:

Had a fantastic day, was in Devon Street Orange Halls pre and post match

Big Jock had the Battle Fever on.
We packed out our end of Hampden unlike the other lot.
Bobby Russell sublime.
Peter McCloy with another assist.
Big dumpling Aitken conceding his first Rangers cup winning penalty.
And Super Ally doing what he just kept doing, slaying the beasts.

36 years!

Got married on the Friday, postponed honeymoon to the Monday to attend the game.

I remember that game for one other incident. It was Aitken elbowing big Dave McPherson on the jaw at a corner for them. 2nd half I think and it was a right belt in the jaw that even then went unpunished so nothing changed now.Anyone else remember it or got the video of the game?

You couldnae sell all yer tickets, sell all yer ti-ckets!
Was gonna mention that we sang this to them, in reply to kirky loyalist. Anyone else remember that day the Rangers end whistling the sash? Only time I've ever heard this at a game. As a 15 year old it was a surreal but beautiful moment.

Remember it well, watched it at my grannies decked out in my strip, scarf, mini flag and rosette. When I got home I fished out a poster I had of Ally and put it up next to Coop, that was the day a legend arrived.

Was gonna mention that we sang this to them, in reply to kirky loyalist. Anyone else remember that day the Rangers end whistling the sash? Only time I've ever heard this at a game. As a 15 year old it was a surreal but beautiful moment.

Somebody must have had a flute at the game to start that off surely ?

With hindsight, aside from the cup win, a major early defining moment for super. Sliding doors moment if he misses the last pen completely and we lose could have signaled the end for his career with us and there aren't many players with a bigger impact on our history, especially the nine.

Back