4 positive covid tests for standard liege

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not the worst idea from a practical angle. I imagine if that was to happen, then UEFA would not let you in the following season. Unless 20 or so clubs got together and told them enough is enough.

There's no denying that's a perfectly rational reason for not doing it. I'd counter that only by saying Rangers need this title.

I'm amazed we haven't had at least one positive test yet.
We have had a positive case back in April. Young Ross McCrorie, still a Rangers player at the time, was back home after having been with Pompey when he got the call to inform him he had it. We don't know if he had been back to Auchentorlie or in contact with anyone at the club other than his brother Robbie whom he was staying with at the time. Thankfully he never passed it on to any of his friends or family.

Has any player out of the many many many players to catch this actually been not well? We hear about them missing games etc but not heard of 1 player thats actually been sick from it. Most are straight in playing as soon as they can stop isolation. Well except Eduoard who clearly just cant be arsed playing for them this season.

Aye... But what about their families mate? Some might have been shielding. Might have visited a grandparent. Its more than just the players own physical health. His families physical health is also important, and has massive knockons to mental health of the footballer and their teammates.

This is not victimless, and we shouldn't underplay it.

A test is like a bank reference, only as good as the day it is written. You could catch the virus off the person handing it to you. Still, its all weve got I suppose.

yeah true bur if we had a test that could simply tell you whether you had it or not . No worrying about incubation periods etc you wouldn’t have to self isolate for 14 days just incase you have it . Would be a massive difference

Hate the thought of travelling to a place where covid is rabid - was just as worried at the weekend at the thought of going into their stinking midden which was covid central all week.

Stay safe players, stay safe.

Sounds just like flu symptoms then.
Its not even remotely like flu symptoms.

Its a terrible death. Firstly they get so weak they cant even lift their hand off the bed, in addition to that their temp fluctuates to 39-40C which causes severe rigors and delirium. Their joints swell up and they are in constant pain and on top of that they cant breathe so much so that they have to get oxygen into them quickly and then they die. To be honest with you if a person hasn't experienced it or know anyone who has then they should keep their thoughts to themselves.

Its a terrible death. Firstly they get so weak they cant even lift their hand off the bed, in addition to that their temp fluctuates to 39-40C which causes severe rigors and delirium. Their joints swell up and they are in constant pain and on top of that they cant breathe so much so that they have to get oxygen into them quickly and then they die. To be honest with you if a person hasn't experienced it or know anyone who has then they should keep their thought to themselves.

How very descriptive.

Its a terrible death. Firstly they get so weak they cant even lift their hand off the bed, in addition to that their temp fluctuates to 39-40C which causes severe rigors and delirium. Their joints swell up and they are in constant pain and on top of that they cant breathe so much so that they have to get oxygen into them quickly and then they die. To be honest with you if a person hasn't experienced it or know anyone who has then they should keep their thoughts to themselves.
Sounds horrendous

Sounds bad. How do these symptoms differ from symptoms of severe flu though? I actually get a bit annoyed that the severity of the flu is widely ignored.
These are young healthy boys, as far as I'm aware there have been no very serious cases for professional footballers. If any do happen, I think we might see a stop to all football being considered.
Hopefully we'll see these boys back playing at Ibrox.

We are talking specifically about Bitton here. I must have missed where he described all his symptoms like that.

I understand that it can be horrific for elderly or those with other conditions but this discussion is about professional footballers. Im stating I dont believe Bitton or Eduoard will be out for weeks as described by other posters. I may be wrong but we shall see.

Aye... But what about their families mate? Some might have been shielding. Might have visited a grandparent. Its more than just the players own physical health. His families physical health is also important, and has massive knockons to mental health of the footballer and their teammates.

This is not victimless, and we shouldn't underplay it.
Im not saying players dont need to isolate because of course they could pass on to family. I was saying that Ive not heard of any footballer missing weeks of football after isolation due to it. Thats nothing to do with their families.

We are talking specifically about Bitton here. I must have missed where he described all his symptoms like that.

I understand that it can be horrific for elderly or those with other conditions but this discussion is about professional footballers. Im stating I dont believe Bitton or Eduoard will be out for weeks as described by other posters. I may be wrong but we shall see.
I haven't read Bittons account but judging by what those who have read it are saying then I'm going to go with assumption that he has displayed similar symptoms some what milder than the severe case I described.

Im not saying players dont need to isolate because of course they could pass on to family. I was saying that Ive not heard of any footballer missing weeks of football after isolation due to it. Thats nothing to do with their families.
It will happen. I had a "mild" case of it and it took me three months to recover physically.

Get this game so far to %^*&.
Really wish we weren’t playing in Europe this season.

this game is worth 570k euro if we win it, like it or not is it imperative that we make as much money as possible

we navigated last years group stage before the wheels came off after Xmas remember

Get this game so far to %^*&.
Really wish we weren’t playing in Europe this season.

Not caring about Europe and wanting to focus solely on the league is why the tims are on a gradual decline.

Regularly competing in Europe is how we reassert ourselves as a functioning top club.

It also very rarely has a negative on league games, if anything it has a positive effect.

I’m turning 21 next month and had it mid September. Been more ill with numerous other things and in normal circumstances I wouldn’t have thought anything of it. But before isolation I ran 6-7k every day or 2. Now I‘ve done half of that twice since I ‘recovered’ and I have had bad fatigue and breathlessness for 2 days after on both occasions. I’m not saying every ‘mild’ case has they after effects but it certainly is common in young/healthy people. I knew Eduoard wouldn’t be anywhere near the OF and wouldn’t be surprised to see him out for a good few weeks.

Hopefully none of our players catch this but it's looking to be unavoidable - it's going to get to us at some point. Fingers crossed there are no more positive players within their squad or staff to pass it onto our guys that have been missed or just not hit a positive yet.

We have had a positive case back in April. Young Ross McCrorie, still a Rangers player at the time, was back home after having been with Pompey when he got the call to inform him he had it. We don't know if he had been back to Auchentorlie or in contact with anyone at the club other than his brother Robbie whom he was staying with at the time. Thankfully he never passed it on to any of his friends or family.

The season had been shut down by April so it's highly unlikely he would've been at the training ground.

Watched some rugby over the weekend. Men grappling up close and personal for 80 minutes. Score a try and elbow bump. What is that about?
I was just referring to football. I expect it the same for all contact sports were physical contact is part and parcel of the game.

Sounds just like flu symptoms then.
Mate I'm an extremely active 22y.o. (21 at the time) and I was absolute done in with it, I was awake for near enough 3 days straight at one point, sweat was constantly pishing right off and dehydrating me, had a temp of 39.4, full body was on fire and only times I could get out bed was for the toilet. I have a pretty weak immune system and I get colds constantly and the flu a couple times per year, I say with confidence it is far worse than the flu and I got off lightly compared to some.

Needing almost half your squad to be gutted in order for a game to get called off is horrible. Liege here for example, they played Brugge who had a player test positive after the match and now their squad are starting to have positive covid tests. All it takes is one player having a false negative, being allowed to play on Thursday and now our entire squad are at risk

It’s not good news for him. Some perspective here.
Not wishing the guy any serious illness or misfortune on his club but if it was the scum we were playing i'd want every last one of them to get it down to their kit man .
Lad will be fine i'm sure so speedy recovery to him and his mates in the team .

Mate I'm an extremely active 22y.o. (21 at the time) and I was absolute done in with it, I was awake for near enough 3 days straight at one point, sweat was constantly pishing right off and dehydrating me, had a temp of 39.4, full body was on fire and only times I could get out bed was for the toilet. I have a pretty weak immune system and I get colds constantly and the flu a couple times per year, I say with confidence it is far worse than the flu and I got off lightly compared to some.
If you already had a compromised and weak immune system then you are in the 'at risk' category. Exactly the type of people the majority are being asked to protect

I believe we wanted to go over there as late as possible and spend minimal time there. Yet UEFA in their wisdom insist we were there in time for press conference duties tonight rather than allowing us to do it remotely. With that kind if stupidity being forced on us, and the continuing insistence on international football, its only a matter of time before we are hit by this.

UEFA and FIFA are organisations not noted for their wisdom.:(

W.A.T.P.

If you already had a compromised and weak immune system then you are in the 'at risk' category. Exactly the type of people the majority are being asked to protect
Athletes don't have the immune systems of cockroach's just because they are fit. It wasn't already compromised either, I'm just regularly unwell for some unknown reason.

Not caring about Europe and wanting to focus solely on the league is why the tims are on a gradual decline.

Regularly competing in Europe is how we reassert ourselves as a functioning top club.

It also very rarely has a negative on league games, if anything it has a positive effect.
Ah know what your saying mate but with Covid and it all being about the league this season I’d prefer us not to be in Europe.
If we get players out for the league game with something we pick up over there how will you feel ?

I can’t help thinking this is going to hit us hard at some point.

Yes. That’s my concern as well.

Whilst it might be good news that some of their players are out tomorrow, what if half of them on the pitch are incubating and haven’t tested positive. And they're also allowing 4,000 fans inside as well.

It could infect half of us. Truthfully, I’d rather every team we played was covid free

Last edited:

Hope you get back on your feet properly.

My own son had a really bad bout of post viral fatigue after a very nasty flu aged 20 or so. He regularly ran 10 or 15k midweek runs just for fitness before the virus. Took him nearly 2 years to get fully back together.

One thing to watch, as well. Post viral issues also have a psychological effect on fit young men and women who suddenly find their fitness adversely affected. Just be aware of that and keep a weather eye on your mental well being as well

Get well soon, buddy

Hope you get back on your feet properly.

My own son had a really bad bout of post viral fatigue after a very nasty flu aged 20 or so. He regularly ran 10 or 15k midweek runs just for fitness before the virus. Took him nearly 2 years to get fully back together.

One thing to watch, as well. Post viral issues also have a psychological effect on fit young men and women who suddenly find their fitness adversely affected. Just be aware of that and keep a weather eye on your mental well being as well

Get well soon, buddy
Cheers mate it was away back in late March/early April, was up and running after about 12/13 days. Wasn't fully back into my routine for a while though, turns yer world upside down for a period especially if you get it bad.

Athletes don't have the immune systems of cockroach's just because they are fit. It wasn't already compromised either, I'm just regularly unwell for some unknown reason.
If you are regulary unwell for unknown reasons before this, it would suggest that you already have a weakend immune system.

Anyway, I hope you make a full recovery.

Is it just a coincidence that last Sunday Bruges player/players tested positive and missed the game against Liege, talk of incubation period being 48 hrs and 48 hrs later 4 from Liege test positive for covid.

All the Liege players will have been together in the Bruges game and also together at training before and after the tests.

That means that anyone who had it and tested positive on Tuesday, those who didn't could still be within the 48 hrs incubation period which will be up until Thursday on the day of the game, which means we could be playing alongside players who are about to test positive.

The rules on this are bonkers, Christie was told to self isolate because he had been in close contact with Amstrong who tested positive, all the Standard Liege players would have been in close contact with each other over the last few days and 3 of them including a goalkeeping coach have tested positive, but the rest of their team don't have to self isolate.

As we seen with St Mirren in their goalkeeping coach testing positive which meant all their keepers had to self isolate, then given Standard Liege goalkeeping coach has tested positive, then why aren't all their goalkeepers being told to self isolate because they would have been in close contact with him, exact same situation as St Mirren.

Given the situation in Belgium right now nobody should be allowed into the stadium.

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if our own team after travelling home start to get positive cases simply because of the positive tests and perhaps others who will test positive and our close contact with those at Standard Liege.

Is it just a coincidence that last Sunday Bruges player/players tested positive and missed the game against Liege, talk of incubation period being 48 hrs and 48 hrs later 4 from Liege test positive for covid.

All the Liege players will have been together in the Bruges game and also together at training before and after the tests.

That means that anyone who had it and tested positive on Tuesday, those who didn't could still be within the 48 hrs incubation period which will be up until Thursday on the day of the game, which means we could be playing alongside players who are about to test positive.

The rules on this are bonkers, Christie was told to self isolate because he had been in close contact with Amstrong who tested positive, all the Standard Liege players would have been in close contact with each other over the last few days and 3 of them including a goalkeeping coach have tested positive, but the rest of their team don't have to self isolate.

As we seen with St Mirren in their goalkeeping coach testing positive which meant all their keepers had to self isolate, then given Standard Liege goalkeeping coach has tested positive, then why aren't all their goalkeepers being told to self isolate because they would have been in close contact with him, exact same situation as St Mirren.

Given the situation in Belgium right now nobody should be allowed into the stadium.

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if our own team after travelling home start to get positive cases simply because of the positive tests and perhaps others who will test positive and our close contact with those at Standard Liege.
Bizarrely, "close contact" apparently means that you have to be within 2m of someone who is infected for more than 20 consecutive mins.

If that's the case, why do I need to wear a face mask wandering around Asda, as I have never spent 20 mins rubbing up against anyone at the Deli counter. Honest!

Bizarrely, "close contact" apparently means that you have to be within 2m of someone who is infected for more than 20 consecutive mins.

If that's the case, why do I need to wear a face mask wandering around Asda, as I have never spent 20 mins rubbing up against anyone at the Deli counter. Honest!
Even more bizarre is mostly all players during training will be within that 2m at any given point in a session, when the football training resumed all the players kept their distance and now seems to be back to normal despite covid still being around. But the mental thing is that if anyone has been in close contact they have to self isolate longer than the person who tests positive. I just don't understand why a full team in close contact be it playing,training,dressing room,showers doesn't have to self isolate when one player who has been in close contact with everyone has a positive test.

Another thing is the spitting and grogging on the pitch that someone else brought up and the risks, pretty sure one of the directives was that players weren't to spit on the pitch,examples of why it was risky put by another poster.

Another point is when they spit on the pitch, how many players that go down through injury or fall and lie on the pitch with their hands on the grass, then another player offers his hand to help him up and if someone did have covid that's how easily it could be passed, I watched one of the European games last night and even the referee was spitting on the pitch.

Letting fans in also is bonkers given the situation with covid and the huge increase in Belgium at present, I would have much rather the team flew in tomorrow on the day of the game and then straight back home, not ideal but better safe than sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back