40 years ago this weekend - Schoolboys international - England 4-5 Scotland

Andy Bruce played three times for Gers and then spells at Thistle and Hearts before retiring in 1988. Don’t think many other Rangers connections in the Scottish team.

One of best games of football I can remember watching on the telly. End to end stuff for 90 minutes. The Scottish kids looked very small in comparison to their English opponents.

Good old Scotland. We always seem to do well all the way to the under 21s before somehow managing to f**k it up at full international.

Jeezo, 40 years ago, where has it gone.
Remember sitting watching it, great game.
I too remember watching this, if you are anything like me most of those decades were pissed up against a wall. If I haven’t lost my marbles, I seem to recall Saint and Greavsy hosted the show. Have I remembered that correctly?

I remember watching that on ITV live with my dad.

We both thought a young Scottish player called Sludden looked a right good player till they said he was going to Celtic, then we agreed he was actually shite :))

England – P Lara (Heston Comprehensive School), M McGinty (Bishop Ullathorne School), D McClure (Edgware School) (captain), D Byrom (St Augustine’s School), W Donald (Furze Platt School), P Wimbleton (Broomfield School), D Willis (Benfield School), P Rideout (Kingsdown School), G Parris (Seven Kings High School), R Jones (Woodlands School)

Sub: P Brown (Washwood Heath School) for Jones

Scotland – A Bruce (Craigmount High, Edinburgh), E MacDonald (Belshill Academy), A O’Connor (St Ambrose High, Coatbridge), C Plenderleith (Currie High, Edinburgh), R Coyle (St Gerard’s Secondary School, Glasgow), P Nicholas (Holyrood Secondary, Glasgow), J Robertson (Portobello High), P McStay (Holycross High, Hamilton) (captain), J Sludden (St Mungo’s High, Falkirk), S Rae (Musselburgh Grammar), A Dick (St Modan’s High, Stirling)

Subs: C Currie (Wishaw High) for Nicholas, D McKay (Lourdes Secondary) for Dick

Ally Dick, whatever happened to him?
I remember he had some sort of record with 17 clubs after him.
Think he went to spurs and was never seen again.

I remember watching that - if there was a live game of football on TV, no matter who was playing, I was watching it.

Years later one of the van drivers my work employed turned out to be the England captain from a few years earlier.

I’m pretty sure that game used to be on YouTube too (he had a cracking match from what I remember) but isn’t anymore.

Didn't Ally Dick play against us for Spurs just before Souness took over?

A lot of people thought we might sign him.

Frightening how long ago that was, still remember it great game. I thought Ally Dick was going to be an absolute world beater but unfortunately injuries did him before his career ever really got going. Still can't be too many Scots played for Ajax.

Very noticeable how Caucasian the England team is. Undoubtedly England have benefitted from immigration. At that time black players like Viv Anderson were only just beginning to breakthrough into the England senior team.

I remember watching that on ITV live with my dad.

We both thought a young Scottish player called Sludden looked a right good player till they said he was going to Celtic, then we agreed he was actually shite :))
John Sludden? Went on to play for Killie

Very noticeable how Caucasian the England team is. Undoubtedly England have benefitted from immigration. At that time black players like Viv Anderson were only just beginning to breakthrough into the England senior team.

Benefited? They've achieved phuck all in 40 years.

The biggest stand out I saw in these games was a young Mark Walters.
Can't remember the exact year when he featured.

What has anyones colour got to do with anything?

Back