40 Years In December Since George Best Played Against Us

Jan Žižka

I was just a lad of 10 back then but this is still vivid in the memory bank.

Remember everyone around shaking their head in disbelief at him signing for Hibs, fukin Hibs man. o_O

George was a Hibernian player for 325 days, playing 22 times and scoring three goals. Belter against the Yahoos in the video. :cool:

Hibs Chairman Tom Hart contacted Fulham to speak to George and the permission was granted. Many thought this was a publicity stunt, but the tune changed when he was sat in the Director’s Box for a home game against Kilmarnock.

The fans in the 5000 crowd gave him a tremendous reception when he took his seat, and again when he drew the winning ticket in the half time draw.

George hadn't played in five months and needed to lose some weight, and it was agreed that both parties would meet again the following Tuesday when he was due to play in Bobby Robson's testimonial match at Ipswich. 23,000 turned out for the game and afterwards George claimed to be 70% fit.

The next day, George agreed to sign for £2,000 per game which Tom Hart reportedly paid from how own pocket.

He made his debut in the green and white jersey at Love Street against St Mirren on 24 November 1979, and Paisley had never witnessed so many press photographers behind the goal.

It wasn't just the media who took an interest as 13,670 turned up to watch, the majority having travelled along the M8 from the capital.

Alas there was no fairytale start as Hibs lost 2-1, although he did mark his debut with a goal just before the final whistle.

Relegation was looming large for the club with just five points from 15 games, but his arrival also served to lift the spirits in the dressing room and the terracing.

Usually only 5,000 attended matches at that time, but with the chance to see a truly gifted player in action the crowd swelled to 20,622 for the visit of Partick Thistle.

The winger sparked Hibernian into life and the side won 2-1, claiming maximum points from a fixture for the first time in 14 weeks.

Every touch from George was greeted with applause, and it took a sensational save from Alan Rough to prevent a 40-yard free-kick entering the net.

George then played in friendlies against Kilmarnock and Leicester City but failed to appear in the next league game against Morton causing some speculation, despite the club's cover story.

A 2-1 win against Rangers just before Christmas saw George show off his talent once more, as well as his incredible self-deprecating humour with a moment that has since entered folklore.

George was constantly abused by the visiting fans who at one point threw a few beer cans in his direction, taunting him for his well-documented battle against alcoholism. The winger picked the can up and appeared to take a swig from the tin, with laughter coming from fans of both clubs following the moment.

He then contributed a memorable goal in a draw against Celtic a fortnight later in front of 22,000 fans...

As I was working in Edinburgh back then, I went to the Hibs v Partick Thistle match with the 20k+ crowd.
I also watched George play at Hampden in 1971 at the Ibrox Disaster fundraiser.
I was also at Old Trafford in 1974 for the ‘friendly’ when we won 3-2 but I can’t remember George playing in that match, maybe he’d left United by then!

I went along to the 1-0 game in March at Ibrox that year.

I'm pretty sure Best played in that one, and I do seem to recall one incident where Best took a back heel volley on a ball cleared from our defence and he back heel volleyed it right back over our defenders to put one of their players in towards goal (which they fluffed, obviously :D)

Fair to say he was well past his best by then, pun intended

Remember everyone around shaking their head in disbelief at him signing for Hibs, fukin Hibs man. o_O

George was a Hibernian player for 325 days, playing 22 times and scoring three goals. Belter against the Yahoos in the video. :cool:

Hibs Chairman Tom Hart contacted Fulham to speak to George and the permission was granted. Many thought this was a publicity stunt, but the tune changed when he was sat in the Director’s Box for a home game against Kilmarnock.

The fans in the 5000 crowd gave him a tremendous reception when he took his seat, and again when he drew the winning ticket in the half time draw.

George hadn't played in five months and needed to lose some weight, and it was agreed that both parties would meet again the following Tuesday when he was due to play in Bobby Robson's testimonial match at Ipswich. 23,000 turned out for the game and afterwards George claimed to be 70% fit.

The next day, George agreed to sign for £2,000 per game which Tom Hart reportedly paid from how own pocket.

He made his debut in the green and white jersey at Love Street against St Mirren on 24 November 1979, and Paisley had never witnessed so many press photographers behind the goal.

It wasn't just the media who took an interest as 13,670 turned up to watch, the majority having travelled along the M8 from the capital.

Alas there was no fairytale start as Hibs lost 2-1, although he did mark his debut with a goal just before the final whistle.

Relegation was looming large for the club with just five points from 15 games, but his arrival also served to lift the spirits in the dressing room and the terracing.

Usually only 5,000 attended matches at that time, but with the chance to see a truly gifted player in action the crowd swelled to 20,622 for the visit of Partick Thistle.

The winger sparked Hibernian into life and the side won 2-1, claiming maximum points from a fixture for the first time in 14 weeks.

Every touch from George was greeted with applause, and it took a sensational save from Alan Rough to prevent a 40-yard free-kick entering the net.

George then played in friendlies against Kilmarnock and Leicester City but failed to appear in the next league game against Morton causing some speculation, despite the club's cover story.

A 2-1 win against Rangers just before Christmas saw George show off his talent once more, as well as his incredible self-deprecating humour with a moment that has since entered folklore.

George was constantly abused by the visiting fans who at one point threw a few beer cans in his direction, taunting him for his well-documented battle against alcoholism. The winger picked the can up and appeared to take a swig from the tin, with laughter coming from fans of both clubs following the moment.

He then contributed a memorable goal in a draw against Celtic a fortnight later in front of 22,000 fans...

Coldest game l have ever attended at Easter road
Left at half time and l think we might have been 1up at half time.

23 years old I wiz then and went home and away domestic games only and was at Easter road when we got turned over 2-1, but we declined on the park since big ham n egg over, ok his first taste in Europe we had superb results, But domestically we never turned up most times.

What the hivers did at the time highlighted the start of bringing the big names to the Scottish league.

Georgie Best was far from his best, but the response to him playing here upped the attendances when he decided to turn up and play.

Mate of mine claims it was him who got GB the sack from Hibs. Said him and a couple of others met Best in the bar at the North British after a Scotland Rugby international and got absolutely bladdered with him & he never made a cup game on the Sunday.

I remember it well, some Hibs lads snuck in the Rangers end for some swedging.

Juice Terry got marched along the side of the pitch and his Ma saw it.

That big end at Easter Rd was packed with Bears too.

Don't imagine they would've lasted long among us. :cool:

Remember seeing him play against Hamilton Accies at the start of the following season at Douglas Park.
It's mad thinking that one of the best players the world has produced was kicking about the Scottish lower leagues at one point.

If my memory serves me well I think the Hearts game was called off quite late on and a big number of Hearts fans came into the Rangers end at Easter road.
In my opinion it was mostly the hearts fans who were booing him and throwing bottles including the one he picked up and pretended to take a drink from it at a corner.

I went along to the 1-0 game in March at Ibrox that year.

I'm pretty sure Best played in that one, and I do seem to recall one incident where Best took a back heel volley on a ball cleared from our defence and he back heel volleyed it right back over our defenders to put one of their players in towards goal (which they fluffed, obviously :D)

Fair to say he was well past his best by then, pun intended

I was at that game too, but I was only 10.

All the same I do remember my old man explaining to me that just before I was born Best was probably the best player in the world.

I remember thinking even then that it was odd he was playing for Hibs now given how shit they were at that time.

I don’t remember anything of the game itself.

Remember that game well, my late dad's car got a puncture on the M8 heading to Easter road.
A mini bus with bears from Belfast stopped and helped us change the tyre.
Thanks to them we made the game on time.
It was freezing that day standing on the high side terracing.
The conditions suited Best,the pitch was frozen.

I saw Best play for Hibs against Accies at Old Douglas Park round about then. I recall he showed nothing special, and I think it ended up a 1-1 draw.

40 years. Where did they go? :confused:

If my memory serves me well I think the Hearts game was called off quite late on and a big number of Hearts fans came into the Rangers end at Easter road.
In my opinion it was mostly the hearts fans who were booing him and throwing bottles including the one he picked up and pretended to take a drink from it at a corner.
Hearts game at Dunfermline was cancelled and a number ended up with Rangers on the side terrace under the tv cameras.
Kicked off with Hibs getting sent packing.

Not certain if I saw him play against Rangers but I’m quite sure I saw him play at Firhill for Man United against Thistle In Donnie McKinnon’s testimonial. Certainly hope I did, he’s up there among the greatest for me, and I’ve managed to see Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Ronaldo.
He said he hoped that after he died he would only be remembered for his football, that’s how it is for me.

The best player produced by these islands for sure. In my opinion the best European player ever. I'd have only three players ahead of him, Messi,Maradona and Pele.
I was at Easter Road that day and while he was a pale shadow of the player he had been a decade previously he still produced the occasional glimpse of his wonderful talent.

Tommy McLean scored for us that day. George also turned out at Ibrox later that season in a game that ended 1-0 in our favour with DJ. scoring our goal, my memory tells me Best was subbed. He was quoted atvthe time as saying he'd always wanted to play us in a competative game.

A truly great player.

Remember that game well, my late dad's car got a puncture on the M8 heading to Easter road.
A mini bus with bears from Belfast stopped and helped us change the tyre.
Thanks to them we made the game on time.
It was freezing that day standing on the high side terracing.
The conditions suited Best,the pitch was frozen.

And there's the arguments with plastic pitches won, and lost, stone dead.

If the conditions suited Best, best that far off icy day, it would be because the footballer reacted better to the circumstances against an inferior player.

Why should it be any different with plastic pitches?

If you are a better footballer than your opponent then you win.

Simples.

Passed his best but pretty obvious how good he was or had been when you saw him. His balance for starters, like our own Davy Cooper.

Was in the corner as a 15 year old when Best came over to take a corner. A full can of export went whizzing over my head with its foamy contents just missing him. He picks up the can has a wry glance at the area the can came from and had a fake swig to much laughter from everyone. 22 December 79 I think. Got Tommy McLean s autograph on my programme and I seem to recollect a mad bear in a Santa Costume climbing the fence and getting huckled by 2 of Edinburgh s finest. I swear there was a photo in the next days Sunday Post with accompanying headline "Santa led away by a set of matching policemen" Both looked identical with full beards.

The best player produced by these islands for sure. In my opinion the best European player ever. I'd have only three players ahead of him, Messi,Maradona and Pele.
I was at Easter Road that day and while he was a pale shadow of the player he had been a decade previously he still produced the occasional glimpse of his wonderful talent.

Tommy McLean scored for us that day. George also turned out at Ibrox later that season in a game that ended 1-0 in our favour with DJ. scoring our goal, my memory tells me Best was subbed. He was quoted atvthe time as saying he'd always wanted to play us in a competative game.

A truly great player.

I'd say Baxter and Cryuff were equals, European wise. Baxter being something of a template.

However, back to March 1980 at Ibrox, Best zig zagged at one point during the game and he then daisy-cutted a glorious cross-field pass that took the breath away. That stays with me.

And a certain famous legend's namesake was in goal at Fester Rd.

I'd say Baxter and Cryuff were equals, European wise. Baxter being something of a template.

However, back to March 1980 at Ibrox, Best zig zagged at one point during the game and he then daisy-cutted a glorious cross-field pass that took the breath away. That stays with me.

And a certain famous legend's namesake was in goal at Fester Rd.

One George Young.
If I'm not mistaken he was at fault for one of the goals. Although you have to take the conditions and my state of mild inebriation into account.

My Dad always said my first ever game at Ibrox was when Best was playing for Hibs, must have been around this time, anyone know the date?

My Dad always said my first ever game at Ibrox was when Best was playing for Hibs, must have been around this time, anyone know the date?
Think he played at Fester road match 22/12/1979 or at Ibrox 01/03/1980. Scores 2-1 to Hivees and 1-0 to the Bears. I stand to be corrected on these thiough.

Footnote after the match at Ibrox a wee me wrote to George and surprisingly he replied with a black and white autographed photo wishing me all the best. I've still got it inside the program... somewhere.

Think he played at Fester road match 22/12/1979 or at Ibrox 01/03/1980. Scores 2-1 to Hivees and 1-0 to the Bears. I stand to be corrected on these thiough.

Footnote after the match at Ibrox a wee me wrote to George and surprisingly he replied with a black and white autographed photo wishing me all the best. I've still got it inside the program... somewhere.
He played in both matches.

Back