42 Years Ago Today League Cup Final Rangers 1 v 0 Yahoos

Yes I was at that one. A poor game only memorable for Doddy's goal. Only around 55,000 at it, the time after the huge old firm crowds. Another trophy though.

At that one. Yes, crowd was really sparse for an OF game at Hampden.

Not a great game but any win against then is a good 'un.

crackin header that.
That was my era of visiting every ground in scotland watching the famous(although very young:rolleyes:)
btw what were they fed then every player had a great mullet.

A man from Glasgow was touring the USA on holiday and stopped in a remote bar in the hills of Nevada. He was chatting to the bartender when he spied an old Native American man sitting in the corner. He had tribal gear on, long white plaits, wrinkled face.

"Who's he?" asked the Glaswegian.

"That's the Memory Man." said the bartender. "He knows everything, remembers everything. He can remember every face he's ever seen. He can remember any fact he hears or reads. Go and try him out."

So the Bluenose goes over, and thinking he won't know about Scottish football, asks "Who won the 1975 Scottish Cup Final?".

"Rangers" replies the Memory Man.

"Who did they beat?"

"Sellik" was the instant reply.

"And the score?"

"1-0."

"Who scored the winning goal?"

"Alex McDonald" said the old man, without a hint of hesitation.

The Bear was knocked out by this and told everyone back home about the Memory Man when he got back.

A few years later he went back to the USA and tried to find the impressive Memory Man. Eventually he found the bar and sitting in the same seat was the old Native American, only this time he was older and even more wrinkled.

The Bluenose approached him with the greeting "How".

The Memory Man looked up and said, "Doddie diving header in the penalty box".

:D

Another important goal by wee Alex. I seem to remember he was at fault with one of the St. Etienne goals the previous Wednesday but he more than made up for it with his goal against Celtic.

Yes I was at that one. A poor game only memorable for Doddy's goal. Only around 55,000 at it, the time after the huge old firm crowds. Another trophy though.
Was thinking about this earlier.

What was the reason for the drop off in attendances? I know the capacity was reduced during the 1970's but we had -

1970 LCF 106,000
1971 SCF 120,000 & 103,000
1973 SCF 122,000
1975 LCF 58,000
1977 SCF 54,000
1978 LCF 60,000

That's a lot of lost fans in a short period of time.
By the end of the 1970's the capacity was 85,000,yet we never got close to it v Celtic.

Was thinking about this earlier.

What was the reason for the drop off in attendances? I know the capacity was reduced during the 1970's but we had -

1970 LCF 106,000
1971 SCF 120,000 & 103,000
1973 SCF 122,000
1975 LCF 58,000
1977 SCF 54,000
1978 LCF 60,000

That's a lot of lost fans in a short period of time.
By the end of the 1970's the capacity was 85,000,yet we never got close to it v Celtic.

Early kick off times started the drop off in attendances and the 1977 Scottish Cup Final was the start of live tv broadcasts.....plus that particular day was pissing down & windy as hell...........
Compare to the 1976 SCF v Hearts, similar day, no live tv & an estimated 88,000 attendance (low estimate imo)

Early kick off times started the drop off in attendances and the 1977 Scottish Cup Final was the start of live tv broadcasts.....plus that particular day was pissing down & windy as hell...........
Compare to the 1976 SCF v Hearts, similar day, no live tv & an estimated 88,000 attendance (low estimate imo)

Yip all contributing reasons,but to lose 50,000 off the gates?
The '76 final had an official attendance of 85,250 but there was,by my reckoning,at least 15,000 more in the ground. Yet 2 years later we had only 61,000 v Aberdeen! Live TV was obviously a factor in that drop.

My first game vs them. Remember a weird incident where a Rangers goal was disallowed. John Greig ran over the byline as he was on an offside position (no active/passive stuff then). Greig was then booked for un-gentlemanly conduct

My first game vs them. Remember a weird incident where a Rangers goal was disallowed. John Greig ran over the byline as he was on an offside position (no active/passive stuff then). Greig was then booked for un-gentlemanly conduct

Thinking that was 77/78 Final - the Bobby McKean game - he had passed a few days earlier...........

Back