47 games under Gerrard

Govanfrnt

Tomorrow will be our managers 47th game in charge and its only February. To put that into perspective, 47 is the total amount of games we played in 2017/18.

Last season we failed to get past round 1 in the UEFA cup, had a loss rate of 24% and out of our 23 home games we lost 7 of them. We played celtic 5 times, were beaten 4x and drew once conceding 14 and scoring only 2. In all competitions our defence let in 59 goals

This season we got to the group stages of the UEFA Cup bringing in over £14m in revenue. Our loss rate is down to 15% despite playing far superior teams than the year prior, we have lost 1 game from 22 home ties and have only conceded 33 goals. We have also beaten celtic which has been unthinkable these past few years

1 stat that strikes a chord with me is that Celtic have lost more games this season than we have.

Yes we've dropped points in games we really shouldnt have but the massive improvements are there for all to see especially considering Gerrards bought an entire squad for considerably less than celtic paid for one striker

He is learning constantly and for me is the real deal. He just needs to be backed. With regards to his off field conduct and management of the press he's up there with the best ive seen for us

Tomorrow will be our managers 47th game in charge and its only February. To put that into perspective, 47 is the total amount of games we played in 2017/18.

Last season we failed to get past round 1 in the UEFA cup, had a loss rate of 24% and out of our 23 home games we lost 7 of them. We played celtic 5 times, were beaten 4x and drew once conceding 14 and scoring only 2. In all competitions our defence let in 59 goals

This season we got to the group stages of the UEFA Cup bringing in over £14m in revenue. Our loss rate is down to 15% despite playing far superior teams than the year prior, we have lost 1 game from 22 home ties and have only conceded 33 goals. We have also beaten celtic which has been unthinkable these past few years

1 stat that strikes a chord with me is that Celtic have lost more games this season than we have.

Yes we've dropped points in games we really shouldnt have but the massive improvements are there for all to see especially considering Gerrards bought an entire squad for considerably less than celtic paid for one striker

He is learning constantly and for me is the real deal. He just needs to be backed. With regards to his off field conduct and management of the press he's up there with the best ive seen for us
Cracking post.

We're getting there. give the man time.

Draws have been an absolute killer for us. All of them should have been victories.
In the summer we need to buy players than can turn those draws into wins as that is the major issue, in those games we don't look like conceding nor scoring. We need attacking mids and forwards with proper quality in the final third.

We need consistency at management level. Gerrard has the right idea and can handle the pressure in the hot seat. He will come good for us and has brought us much joy in his first season. Incredible when you think about what he’s achieved so far and the season is far from over.

55 will come from SG, I’m confident of that.

Brilliant post

Those stats are good OP but I don’t need them because my own eyes tell me that we’ve improved

We have improved but imho the bar was low. We are still a bit away from having a team that knows how to get it done when it matters. We are still carrying players in the team and deep into the squad that are highly unreliable . If we do t win the Scottish cup , the season is another failure , no matter the stats. SG is definitely the right man in a fair fight, our resources might never let that happen.

Great post. We have undoubtedly improved under SG. Further improvement required but this was never going to be an overnight thing. #KeepBelieving

Well said OP. We have made significant strides forward this season, on and of the park and from the first team down to the youths. This was never going to be a 1 season project. We now have the nucleus of a right good team and with further improvements, mainly in the forward areas, in the summer and hopefully one or two coming through from the youths, the future is looking brighter than it has for a long time.

Great post op !

Another interesting stat is we have been in all 47 games till the end, we have never been more than a goal behind in any match which i find incredible.

It shows we are a solid unit usually and there is a good team spirit.

Also lost 1 game in the last 14, it feels worse than that due to draws.

Well said OP so many positives some folk on hear past few weeks being getting carried away with just what to expect ,

The European campaign, in terms of where we were stating from as a squad, will eventually rank as one of our best ever. This squad is taking shape; slowly but surely there is balance and a fine composition to it developing that indicates what we do in the summer can compliment better what we already have. We have the right man at this club as well. One of Rangers greatest managers, Jock Wallace, appears to have needed time at first; the correlation here is very significant, because we were coming from a weaker point and he made us the best team in the league, over time. We need stability, and just as the club appears to have done with Jock Wallace, we need to give Gerrard time and patience. It's getting better, and in time it can get even better; we may not get success immediately, but stick with Gerrard and it will come.

Last edited:
It’s a very good post.

I 100% back Gerrard.

However I think it’s worth noting that Sellick have declined massively compared to the previous 2 campaigns. They had issues with the Belguin Centre half...sold their best forward & Brown (& other important yahoo’s) the lady's front bottom was out injured for a sustained period.

It’s all about opinions but I think if we had a more experienced manager we would have been a lot closer as it stands today.

We can’t have it all our way & I hope & pray we win the Scottish Cup..with this years experience of Scottish Fitba it will set Gerrard & the players up for a good rattle at 55 next season.

It’s a very good post.

I 100% back Gerrard.

However I think it’s worth noting that Sellick have declined massively compared to the previous 2 campaigns. They had issues with the Belguin Centre half...sold their best forward & Brown (& other important yahoo’s) the lady's front bottom was out injured for a sustained period.

It’s all about opinions but I think if we had a more experienced manager we would have been a lot closer as it stands today.

We can’t have it all our way & I hope & pray we win the Scottish Cup..with this years experience of Scottish Fitba it will set Gerrard & the players up for a good rattle at 55 next season.

'a more experienced manager' - such as McInnes? McLaren? McLeish? Pardew?

We couldn't afford a top-drawer experienced manager so we hired either a young born winner with potential or someone experienced with a track record of failure.

There's stats, stats and papering over the cracks.

For the record I want Mr Gerrard to stay, he's been a breath of fresh air and yes he needs time.

However, time was when we had 'one of those days' and lost. You know games like against Motherwell, ironically enough in Souness' first season when we battered them with everything but the kitchen sink and the opposition go up the park one time and score an unbelieving winner.

That's what I would refer to as 'one of those days'. And our history has been littered with them. That's football for you.

However, results and performances like last week are nowhere near 'one of these days' Results and performances like last week, when there is no craft, no cunning pass, no guile or cuteness. When there is only sterility and what seems like a squad of players who are clueless as to how they go about making chances, are becoming like what seems 'every other game'.

For every yahoo performance there is a Killie or a last week to bring you back down to earth with a bump.

There's been far too many games like last week for my liking.

Consistency has to reach a whole new level for me to be anywhere near satisfied.

Fantastic post, the way we coped away to Ufa down to 9men was remarkable, there’s a spirit in the entire club that’s has been absent for years. We are moving forward and i’ve faith in our management team, players and board to deliver over the coming seasons.

There's stats, stats and papering over the cracks.

For the record I want Mr Gerrard to stay, he's been a breath of fresh air and yes he needs time.

However, time was when we had 'one of those days' and lost. You know games like against Motherwell, ironically enough in Souness' first season when we battered them with everything but the kitchen sink and the opposition go up the park one time and score an unbelieving winner.

That's what I would refer to as 'one of those days'. And our history has been littered with them. That's football for you.

However, results and performances like last week are nowhere near 'one of these days' Results and performances like last week, when there is no craft, no cunning pass, no guile or cuteness. When there is only sterility and what seems like a squad of players who are clueless as to how they go about making chances, are becoming like what seems 'every other game'.

For every yahoo performance there is a Killie or a last week to bring you back down to earth with a bump.

There's been far too many games like last week for my liking.

Consistency has to reach a whole new level for me to be anywhere near satisfied.
No cunts papering over any cracks, everyone knows the STJ game wasn't good enough, especially Gerrard and he would be the first one to say the consistency isn't good enough either. The guy is in his first season of management and he has a hell of a let more to learn and deal with at Rangers than anywhere else, I think he deserves some credit despite the poor results along the way.

Is it really £14m for europa league run? How is that broken down? I didn’t think it was that much, good if true through

Even more frustrating when you consider we had a perfectly good goal disallowed vs Dundee and should've had a penalty for a blatant hand ball vs Hibs.

2 points would've been 6 points.
And 2 points dropped at Abaadeen following a later rescinded red for Alfie

Gerrard has done ok so far. You can pick out selected stats to make him look a lot better than that or a lot worse than that either way. We are a better side than last season and that for me is the most important thing to judge him on. It's still early days.

the difference is gerrard compared to the previous shite

however, the team remains a let down way more than it should they simply down tools when they're not interested

make no bones about it we've thrown away a tilt at a title

Draws have been an absolute killer for us. All of them should have been victories.
Agree, but look at it this way.... SG has turned defeats into draws this season. Next season he has to turn draws into wins. Not sure which is more difficult, but I trust him 100%

We have improved but imho the bar was low. We are still a bit away from having a team that knows how to get it done when it matters. We are still carrying players in the team and deep into the squad that are highly unreliable . If we do t win the Scottish cup , the season is another failure , no matter the stats. SG is definitely the right man in a fair fight, our resources might never let that happen.

This is it for me. There’s definite progress, but in terms of the league, not quite enough progress for my liking. It shouldn’t be compared against MW and PC who ensured the bar was set about as low as it could possibly be set.

I believe this summer will allow Gerrard to take this team to the next level. He has built good foundations and I think he will attract a better quality of player to take us up a level again.

I still believe he is the right man for the job and still have the confidence he will deliver the title next season.

'a more experienced manager' - such as McInnes? McLaren? McLeish? Pardew?

We couldn't afford a top-drawer experienced manager so we hired either a young born winner with potential or someone experienced with a track record of failure.
Exactly mate...we can’t have it all. I know we went with an up & coming young Coach & I’m happy with it.

I’m old school & I think if Walter has been in charge of this pool of players we would have had a closer Title race.

No cunts papering over any cracks, everyone knows the STJ game wasn't good enough, especially Gerrard and he would be the first one to say the consistency isn't good enough either. The guy is in his first season of management and he has a hell of a let more to learn and deal with at Rangers than anywhere else, I think he deserves some credit despite the poor results along the way.

No one, and certainly not me is shouting for the manager's head,

However, the delightful, as it was unexpected run in Europe has taken the pressure off the side's topsy-turvy, up and down form domestically. I don't see how that can be in dispute.

You're mentioning last week as if it was a one off.

Contrast that performance and today's and there is my argument about levels of consistency in a nutshell.

Gerrard has been a revelation for us - the team look fitter and stronger and hungrier and we went toe to toe with Celtic and beat them convincingly, the last few years I've been dreading OF games and actually stopped watching them for the first time in my life.

He's learning but he'll take us to where we want and need to be.

I'm so buzzing for next season. This season I wasn't expecting a lot because another rebuilding job was needed but we've far surpassed my expections this year. In the summer we only need 4 or 5 at most new players of decent quality and I can see us blowing everyone away in the league

Back