4LHaD blog. Mistakes, missed chances and poor officiating, at some point groundhog day has to stop

Great piece here on yesterdays game.
You can't argue with a word of that . The change he asks for.
Board standing our ground...no chance
Better fan engagement...no chance
Learning from mistakes...zero evidence for this
It seems we are left hoping for new recruits when we've signed 36 players and still not sorted a midfield.
Imho hoping for Groundhog Day to change while doing the same things is what we are facing.

Decent article that:

Mistakes, missed chances and poor officiating, at some point groundhog day has to stop

Steven Clifford Uncategorized September 21, 2020

Rangers threw away another two points in the league yesterday and it was an accumulation of incidents during the game that we have all seen before.

Losing sloppy goals, personal mistakes from the same culprits and match officials missing obvious errors which then cost the club goals in key moments.

There is absolutely no doubting that the second Hibs strike was offside but when the club is silent and allows Alfredo to get booted, like he did last week, then there is no point in being surprised when the assistant referee misses a blatant offside he is looking straight at from 25 yards away.

You can absolutely bet your last coin that had the shoe been on the other foot then other clubs would be actively pressing to make sure their voices were heard. I’ll further add there is nothing wrong with that because that pressure should happen, again we sit in silence.

When Ryan Porteous smashes his forearm into Alfredo off the ball and only receives a yellow card (excessive force etc….) then there isn’t any point moaning because we are allowing it to happen by not controlling the narrative surrounding the officials.

The match officials play a huge part in the result yesterday but we also have to look at our own failings. We lost two absolutely atrocious goals then were littered with individual errors throughout.

The first goal was extremely poor yesterday from Borna Barisic, his hesitance in the 50/50 and subsequent backing off allowed the cross and then the scorer Drey Wright was left all alone (a combination of Davis and Arfield leaving the man and that space wide open)

The second goal was even worse and the comedy of errors starts with Connor Goldson doing what he does every ‘so often’. His casual flicks, passes and drag backs infuriate me and it has cost us. Now this is were the management have to be seen to address this, we now have the centre back cover. Goldson has been brilliant but his errors are every bit as common as others, unless it’s addressed it will eventually cost the management because this isn’t the first time.

The next part of the goal is all down to James Tavernier and at this point defensively he was all over the place. He was lazy and slow out to Boyle and then failed to stop the cross, the exact same failing as Borna. Helander is caught flat footed and allows his man to get the run on him, as the ball goes in it is telling everyone looks to the full back. Three times is several minutes Tavernier was ripped apart down that side, the first causing an almighty scramble we managed to get away, the second Goldson slices into the goalkeepers hands and the third cost us.

Tavernier was good in parts yesterday but wasteful on the ball for crossing, poor defensively but saying he had a typical ‘one of those days’ caused almighty friction and personal abuse yesterday. Opinion is absolutely everything but it doesn’t change mine that he did indeed have a below par day. However he wasn’t the only one and the defence, led by Goldson, were absolutely rocking all over the place and none of the four can say they didn’t have ‘one of those days’, in the case of Goldson and Tavernier these moments always seem to cost us.

The manager also played his part with changes which to me lost all our rhythm and cohesion at a time we were changing the shape whilst chasing the game made no sense. But substitutions work and then like yesterday don’t even come close.

Moving on the missed chances came for Alfredo twice in the air, Scott Arfield missed a double chance and Ryan Kent failed to score when one on one. Rangers proceeded to camp around the area and several times our centre mids added nothing but a square pass five yards to the side, our overloading in areas was great but people who say ‘play Kamara further forward’ should look at yesterday and his abject failings and reluctance to have a shot at goal, ever.

Add that to the poor defensive performance and atrocious officiating then we have all seen this before.

This is groundhog day and as a team until we cut these errors out and become ruthless we will never ever succeed where we so badly want. This manager, these players and this club will remain nearly rans. This manager has signed 36 players, spent millions and we still look short, that isn’t good enough.

Rangers need signings and the midfield need two reinforcements quickly. We lack that creativity and we lack anyone who can take a half decent shot. It is a pretty poor observation that out of all our midfielders only young Jamie Barjonas can strike the ball. That urgently needs rectified and in a game like yesterday could become invaluable. The fact we haven’t addressed that just continues to cause issues.

If Alfredo goes then we will also need to replace him because with Itten, Roofe and Defoe I personally don’t think we have the firepower required and certainly not the individual quality which Alfredo possesses. I still believe that Alfredo will leave the club and if it is that funds we are waiting on then I do understand, the board have heavily backed the management, it isn’t a never ending pit of money we have.

Just perhaps prioritising the midfield which has been weak right throughout the managers tenure should have been our first move.

Onwards to Holland and then Fir Park this weekend with no room for error.

Groundhog day has to be left in the past at some point.

Ignore the nonsense, the irrelevant and the noise

That’s a very good article which objectively highlights the repeated failures on the pitch which are incredibly frustrating to watch time after time. Amongst all the accusations of people panicking and being “panty wetters”, surely nobody can sit here and say they’re not worried about the nature of our dropped points so far this season which appear to show that the team have learned nothing?

What really struck me yesterday was not only putting Davis and Arfield in together but playing them both for the full 90.
Agreed.

It was a painful watch all round yesterday. And worryingly reminiscent of many games before when we have blown it.

Games like Motherwell on Sunday already become absolute must wins. We have very little room for error.

Livi and yesterday just makes things more pressurised than they should have been.

Agreed.

It was a painful watch all round yesterday. And worryingly reminiscent of many games before when we have blown it.

Games like Motherwell on Sunday already become absolute must wins. We have very little room for error.

Livi and yesterday just makes things more pressurised than they should have been.
Truly frightening , season 3 and the same old mistakes from the same old people.
Two games when we dominate and don’t win , we won’t dominate every game and need to cash in when we do.

A hint in there that he has had enough of Gerrard maybe? Some good points but in the whole the article is way over the top in my opinion. Obviously I am in the minority on FF.

I still think we lack a few leaders within the team. Big characters that use their voice and can rally the team when we are up against it.

We also lack that winning mentality when it's needed most. The players need to actually believe in their own ability that we will get that winner. We're also far too soft at times, half hearted in the tackle. Some games in Scotland, we need guys who are prepared for a battle. Guys in the same mould as Kevin Thomson.

We're too predictable at times too. We've got a manager who made a career out of scoring from outside the box. Yet, our midfielders are too reluctant to have a go and instead either pass wide to Tav or Barisic or they look pass forward in tight areas to play for that perfect goal.

Why has he singled him out?
several players are named.
Tav was ripped apart three times in quick succession.
That's what stood out for me as well could he have got a toe on the ball maybe, but it would have been lucky as was he was chasing and cutting across due to not being his error could have easily given away a penalty if not careful

Goldson made the mistake but in this case the hibs player was offside The defence is split open tav would have been doing the right thing going with goldson or at least helander to keep the line

Normal rules played and tavs part in it isn't even an issue

Ultimately goldson should have done better but it doesn't take away from the fact goal shouldn't have stood and that tav was least of our problems on Sunday

Last edited:
In what way did you feel it was way OTT?
As I said I’m most likely in a minority of one on FF regarding the blog. The whole tone of the article is way over the top in my opinion and I have no intention of saying what I think as it would be a pointless exercise as most on here clearly think the article is accurate.I agree with some of his points but imo the article is scathing and over the top.

I still think we lack a few leaders within the team. Big characters that use their voice and can rally the team when we are up against it.

We also lack that winning mentality when it's needed most. The players need to actually believe in their own ability that we will get that winner. We're also far too soft at times, half hearted in the tackle. Some games in Scotland, we need guys who are prepared for a battle. Guys in the same mould as Kevin Thomson.

We're too predictable at times too. We've got a manager who made a career out of scoring from outside the box. Yet, our midfielders are too reluctant to have a go and instead either pass wide to Tav or Barisic or they look pass forward in tight areas to play for that perfect goal.

✅

✅

✅

I agree with all those points...

The other thing which does happen every season and which is mentioned in the blog is that Tav and Goldson will make some costly mistakes. Why does it always seem to be those two? Is it down to the system we play (encouraging the playing out from the back or having the wing back so far up the park) which makes us much more liable to being punished with a goal as a result of their mistakes? Or is that a limitation in their game/character?

Last edited:
As I said I’m most likely in a minority of one on FF regarding the blog. The whole tone of the article is way over the top in my opinion and I have no intention of saying what I think as it would be a pointless exercise as most on here clearly think the article is accurate.I agree with some of his points but imo the article is scathing and over the top.
Fair enough , not having a dig or trying to put you on the spot , just wondered if it was something in particular or the whole article , you’ve answered the question.

✅

✅

✅

The other thing which does happen every season and which is mentioned in the blog is that Tav and Goldson will make some costly mistakes. Why does it always seem to be those two? Is it down to the system we play (encouraging the playing out from the back or having the wing back so far up the park) which makes us much more liable to being punished by mistakes? Or is that a limitation in their game/character?
With regards to your last point , whichever it is it’s down to the manager to sort in , now in season three and it appears he hasn’t

✅

✅

✅

The other thing which does happen every season and which is mentioned in the blog is that Tav and Goldson will make some costly mistakes. Why does it always seem to be those two? Is it down to the system we play (encouraging the playing out from the back or having the wing back so far up the park) which makes us much more liable to being punished by mistakes? Or is that a limitation in their game/character?

I just think Goldson is prone to an error or two. You seen it v hamilton at Ibrox last season he just switched off for that split second and we got punished. The bigger games his concentration seems to be there and he can be outstanding at times, but he does have that moment in him where he does switch off and do something costly.

Tavernier, although he has improved over the years at the defensive side he still occassionally gets beat too easily for me. But again his energy at getting forward supporting the attack has been beneficial over the years. Even the past few games when Barasic or Kent has the ball out wide on the left, Tav's gettin as far up the park as the back post looking for scraps. He will score and create a few goals this season.

I just think Goldson is prone to an error or two. You seen it v hamilton at Ibrox last season he just switched off for that split second and we got punished. The bigger games his concentration seems to be there and he can be outstanding at times, but he does have that moment in him where he does switch off and do something costly.

Tavernier, although he has improved over the years at the defensive side he still occassionally gets beat too easily for me. But again his energy at getting forward supporting the attack has been beneficial over the years. Even the past few games when Barasic or Kent has the ball out wide on the left, Tav's gettin as far up the park as the back post looking for scraps. He will score and create a few goals this season.
Goldson is the poor mans Amoruso in that respect.

That's what stupid out for me as well could he have got a toe on the ball maybe but it would have lucky he was chasing due to not being his error

The offside decision has or defence split hence and why there space for the ball to be played

Normal rules and tax isn't even an issue there
Please mate will you read that back and correct it. I can’t make head nor tail of it but it looks auto corrected to %^*&!!

Steven has been very critical of the club since his short stint on the fan media.
Yes, this is very obvious, but in fairness, he is not wrong. Perhaps deliberate on his part to be scathing, but it’s really just a more hard line approach to the truth that most of us don’t quite want to take.

That’s a very good article which objectively highlights the repeated failures on the pitch which are incredibly frustrating to watch time after time. Amongst all the accusations of people panicking and being “panty wetters”, surely nobody can sit here and say they’re not worried about the nature of our dropped points so far this season which appear to show that the team have learned nothing?

What nature of dropped points wouldn't worry you then?

Given we're going to drop points at times, is it not somewhat heartening that we had to play poorly and have a bit of bad luck for the offside call for it to happen?

The reason some get frustrated with this sort of stuff is that people would moan regardless of how the game went, so let's not say it's about not learning lessons or anything like that. The Livingston game was nothing at all like yesterday.

What nature of dropped points wouldn't worry you then?

Given we're going to drop points at times, is it not somewhat heartening that we had to play poorly and have a bit of bad luck for the offside call for it to happen?

The reason some get frustrated with this sort of stuff is that people would moan regardless of how the game went, so let's not say it's about not learning lessons or anything like that. The Livingston game was nothing at all like yesterday.
Dropping points when you dominate is a major worry , thats four already.
Dropping points in a battle or when you don’t dominate less so but if we continue to both then we‘re in trouble.

A hint in there that he has had enough of Gerrard maybe? Some good points but in the whole the article is way over the top in my opinion. Obviously I am in the minority on FF.

Wait to we drop a few more points and see if you think it is still over the top. Same script just another day.

The reaction from the weekend in this blog and on here has been way, way OTT

Barring a couple of howlers defensively and finishing we played reasonably well. Referee had a big say in the match again

The reaction from the weekend in this blog and on here has been way, way OTT

Barring a couple of howlers defensively and finishing we played reasonably well. Referee had a big say in the match again

Gents, I understand what you say, but we have now dropped 4 easy points away from home in only 8 games.
'Groundhog Day' doesn't even come close.

Gerrard has been getting plaudits for his tactics in Europe, and rightly so.
But he still hasn't worked out the Scottish game, and must receive in my opinion equal amount of criticism for still not doing this.

And if we are stop 'them'... this cannot continue.

I find it hard to believe that Gerrard who was a world class midfielder,who drove his team on, and chipped in with important goals, cannot get the engine room of the side, more industrious and scoring goals.
Let's hope he can bring in some quality, soon in this window.

Fantastic article. Nails all the pertinent points, particularly the clubs lack of willingness to call out the outrageous decisions that go against us.

They were. But so were we. We missed many great chances. Again.

ive been hearing a phrase - on another day we would have scored x - for years. It never changes. There is no excuse for those chances being passed up.

No one could disagree with that but i cant help thinking that we are now at the stage with bent officials where even if we do beat them and the opposition by taking these chances/defending properly, all it means is onto the next game and another crazy tart fired up to perform for the scottish media and influence the result.

The best teams in world sport lose bad goals or miss sitters, no one plays well every week, maybe what we are asking of this team is too much. Beat the diddy clubs while they blooter us around often after playing an important euro tie, better the tims over the season, and deal with the most corrupt and dishonest officials in world sport while picking up injuries and suspensions all the time. Something Celtic dont have to worry about as their players dont get kicked around the park and refs never show them red cards.

We keep asking why Gerrard wont speak about the refs i think its cos he sees it as a problem he cannot fix something thats part of the game up here. Maybe hes stunned we are so weak and frightened of this problem that we often focus on a good player thats been well worth the money making the odd dreadful blunder.

Goldson, Tav, Kamara and others are playing in the Spfl and not the epl for a reason, they are all excellent players but are prone to brain farts which they cannot excise from their game, this tendency to feck up at crucial moments is what separates winners from losers in sport as in life the ones who make the least mistakes tend to be the winners.

The 4LHAD twitter page has been blocking people that don't agree with his comments.

'Fan media'

Back