5 at the back.

a_weir

Look, I know it’s not an ideal formation but Tav’s clear strength is going forward and when he and Candeias have combined, it’s sometimes been great to watch. But, though, it leaves us exposed at the back.

Thus, I think we should see the season out with 5 at the back, make it harder for teams to expose us.

And either go:

GK
A Wilson McCrorie Cardoso
Tav———————————John/Halliday
2 from:
Dorrans/Holt/Rossiter/Docherty
Candeias—————-Murphy
Morelos​

The above would mean that the midfield would be really busy so maybe Holt and Docherty but would give cover for Tav and Candeias’ combination and John (if fit) pushing forward. The below would be better for teams that sit in more:

GK
A Wilson McCrorie Cardoso
Rossiter/Docherty/Holt
Candeias Cummings Murphy
Morelos
Just one substation could make either formation 442 or 433.

Just my 2cents whilst on my lunch break.

Last edited:
I'm at the could not give a phuck stage and would not be fussed if I never seen a single one of them again. A gutless bad players a gutless bad player regardless of formation.

I don’t care either any more. The players have chucked it and no amount of tactical magic by our ‘manager’ will change that.

See the season out and hope we scrape into Europe for a cheeky 1st qualifying round trip away.

We have a real personnel problem at Rangers now.

Forgetting the lower league stuff until MW came in, we have not been coached well to defend. MW thought we could outscore everyone, Pedro talked a good game about balance between defence and attack but was found out as being a poor manager, and Murty has one setting when it comes to playing certain players in a set formation.

It can't be as simple as, "get 5 across the back", because these guys haven't been coached to play this way; to be solid defensively and be consistently difficult to beat. That's a mindset problem.

I mentioned in another thread that when Walter succeeded Le Guen, he sorted our issues by bringing in hard players like Weir, Thomson and Ehiogu and made us difficult to beat. Walter's success grew from there.

It's too late in the day to try and implement this for the final 3 games. Our player's won't have a fucking clue. This kind of stuff needs sorted when a new manager arrives. If it is Gerrard, he should be following Smith's example.

There's a lot of similarity between MW, Pedro and Murty and the failures of each. A lack of organisation being right up there. Build from the back and you have the foundation for a solid organised team.

Alves and Bates are injured and I would be surprised to see them play again this season.

So who’s the third cb? Aidan Wilson?

For what it’s worth, I think we should have switched to 5 at the back yesterday.

Alves and Bates are injured and I would be surprised to see them play again this season.

So who’s the third cb? Aidan Wilson?

For what it’s worth, I think we should have switched to 5 at the back yesterday.

I thought Alves was supposed to be back this week? I'd put Wilson in if not.

I do agree with the other posters in that I'm past caring but we absolutely CANNOT lose out on a European place. Player recruitment will be harder without it.

It's darkest before dawn and we need to win these last 3.

Alves and Cardoso with McRorie in front of them. I think that's the "best" option we have at the moment.

Murty has turned basic tactics into a joke,we play a system the players haven’t got a clue about.
Watch any team when they lose the ball in the opposition half they immediately filter back to two banks off four,us,we are left with two banks off two.
Our full backs are always left one to one with wide players no doubling up.
These are basic tactics before any other tactics come into play,you will never hear Murty shouting “Keep your shape” like other managers all over the country cause we have no shape.
Honestly my school Janny set up our primary school team better than Murty,it beggars belief what he is up to.

Look, I know it’s not an ideal formation but Tav’s clear strength is going forward and when he and Candeias have combined, it’s sometimes been great to watch. But, though, it leaves us exposed at the back.

Thus, I think we should see the season out with 5 at the back, make it harder for teams to expose us.

And either go:

GK
Martin McCrorie Alves
2 from:
Dorrans/Holt/Rossiter/Docherty
Candeias—————-Murphy
Morelos​

The above would mean that the midfield would be really busy so maybe Holt and Docherty but would give cover for Tav and Candeias’ combination and John (if fit) pushing forward. The below would be better for teams that sit in more:

GK
Martin McCrorie Alves
Rossiter/Docherty/Holt
Candeias Cummings Murphy
Morelos
Just one substation could make either formation 442 or 433.

Just my 2cents whilst on my lunch break.
I like it, and I actually quite like 5-3-2.
Only problem I have with it is that I'd make a better CB than Martin ever will - the fact we have him a last resort is directly the result of an incompetent management and boardroom team that have allowed both Bates and Wilson to leave for a net profit of '0'. Not to diminish your post, I just hate, and yes I mean Martin, in our famous jersey.

We are a team of absolute mental weaklings and pussys

My 4 year old can kick the ball further tha n Russell martin

Andy halliday has the upper body strenth of a flag pole

I could go on

Useless the lot of them

I like it, and I actually quite like 5-3-2.
Only problem I have with it is that I'd make a better CB than Martin ever will - the fact we have him a last resort is directly the result of an incompetent management and boardroom team that have allowed both Bates and Wilson to leave for a net profit of '0'. Not to diminish your post, I just hate, and yes I mean Martin, in our famous jersey.

I agree but our problem isn't going forward (apart from yesterday) it's defending, and has been all season, so whilst the majority of our defence is shite, we should focus on cover for it more than anyone else until the season's over.

I thought Alves was supposed to be back this week? I'd put Wilson in if not.

I do agree with the other posters in that I'm past caring but we absolutely CANNOT lose out on a European place. Player recruitment will be harder without it.

It's darkest before dawn and we need to win these last 3.

Hope you’re right about Alves and hopefully he stays fit. I question how interested he will be in these remaining games with the WC in a few weeks time. Is he really prepared to put his body on the line for us? I hope so.

I genuinely forgot about Cardoso too, that’s scary.

Just my opinion but I doubt we will see Alves again.If he is going to the world cup I wouldn't think he would risk getting injured.
He's been rank rotten anyway

I've given up hoping Murty will ever change it. Also, regardless of formation it would appear our players have chucked it.

Just my opinion but I doubt we will see Alves again.If he is going to the world cup I wouldn't think he would risk getting injured.
He's been rank rotten anyway

He’s not been good but I’d still rather have him than our other centre backs.

We have a real personnel problem at Rangers now.

Forgetting the lower league stuff until MW came in, we have not been coached well to defend. MW thought we could outscore everyone, Pedro talked a good game about balance between defence and attack but was found out as being a poor manager, and Murty has one setting when it comes to playing certain players in a set formation.

It can't be as simple as, "get 5 across the back", because these guys haven't been coached to play this way; to be solid defensively and be consistently difficult to beat. That's a mindset problem.

I mentioned in another thread that when Walter succeeded Le Guen, he sorted our issues by bringing in hard players like Weir, Thomson and Ehiogu and made us difficult to beat. Walter's success grew from there.

It's too late in the day to try and implement this for the final 3 games. Our player's won't have a fucking clue. This kind of stuff needs sorted when a new manager arrives. If it is Gerrard, he should be following Smith's example.

There's a lot of similarity between MW, Pedro and Murty and the failures of each. A lack of organisation being right up there. Build from the back and you have the foundation for a solid organised team.
We need new centre backs, end of story.

I agree re the coaching of players, too little and too late. We need to go and try to win the games as our defence is on its arse.

Back