50% wages deferred for 3 months

Am I reading it correct when I see all that really happened is we've agreed to pay everyone what they will be due for the next three months, in one larger payment three months from now?

Also, there's a lot of non-playing staff being put on furlough? Which is something Liverpool have been slated for? And I absolutely get that we are not the 7th richest club in the world so the circumstances aren't the same but a cut in the wages of the top earners would have surely helped pay that of the non-playing staff?

I might be reading it completely wrong by the way.

the furlough is up to a max of £2500
When you talk about liverpool players, which ones?

the furlough is up to a max of £2500
When you talk about liverpool players, which ones?

I don't know what you mean by Liverpool players, sorry.

Like I said, I might have completely missed the details of what's actually happening.

Am I reading it correct when I see all that really happened is we've agreed to pay everyone what they will be due for the next three months, in one larger payment three months from now?

Also, there's a lot of non-playing staff being put on furlough? Which is something Liverpool have been slated for? And I absolutely get that we are not the 7th richest club in the world so the circumstances aren't the same but a cut in the wages of the top earners would have surely helped pay that of the non-playing staff?

I might be reading it completely wrong by the way.
Liverpool have reversed that decision to Furlough. Rightly so.

Having read your previous posts re furloughed employees and the government scheme I was under the impression that you worked in the financial sector/civil service and were fully aware of the implications/constraints.

I apologise for any offence.

Players and staff showing a bit of class to safeguard the jobs of those at the club. Showing Furlough FC how to act with dignity.

I think mine is as well.

Today has been a good day for the financial well being of the club.

I will leave it to others to make moral judgement on whether people should get paid what they agreed to.
Do you think the players were asked to take a cut for the good of the club?

If they weren't the people assigned to look after the best interests of our club weren't doing their job.

What is the wee dig supposed to mean, no I didn't know it or I wouldn't have asked.

Thanks for explaining it anyway though.

Having read your previous posts regarding the government scheme I was under the impression that you fully understood the financial implications of it regarding furloughed employees.

I apologise if I caused any offence.

Should be a cut and not a deferral but I suppose that kind of thinking is having a pop at the club as all the free thinkers on here are pointing out.

Yea, heaven forbid you dont agree with what the players or club do. To think the slagging the timmies get in here for being a cult and blindly agreeing with anything their club does or exscusing any bad behaviour of their players.

So they took a wage cut for a few months that they will get back anyway how noble of them. The club are making nothing through all this but the players shouldnt lose a dime. We are just jealous, no im looking out for my club more than players who come and go bank balance.

Having read your previous posts regarding the government scheme I was under the impression that you fully understood the financial implications of it regarding furloughed employees.

I apologise if I caused any offence.

Thank you and my apologies for being touchy.

I genuinely didn't understand where the £37,500 was coming from, but I do now.

Rooney hit this square on the head when he asked if bankers , fund managers actors and other major earners are being hounded like football players, yes players get well paid but not the only people who do, a top footballer will be on 40 or 50% tax off their money right away.
Bank managers and fund managers are still working the banks are not closed And the financial sector continues regardless. Actors won’t be getting paid for shows theyre not filming and if you’re watching them on the telly they’ve done the job already.

It was my initial thought too....pay the smaller salaries, maintain the moral high ground over septic, but what if "non-playing staff" includes SG, GMc, Ross Wilson and other highly paid staff? I would imagine it's a close call.
We lose 20% of our turnover every year. We are at an at risk business with hundreds of employees.
The tims had £40m in the bank bfore they sold biscuit hips to Arsenal.
It’s not really fair to compare our situations particularly when much of the issue is celtics continual faux posturing as the countrys White Knight FC.

Surely if the costs for 12 months are £23m then a 50% deferral for 3 months will be £23m divided by 4 (to get to 3 months) times 50%. So half of £5.75m, or £2,875,000.

Probably payable back to the players over the course of the tax year or longer. I doubt we will be paying it out in one go.

Correct. I forgot to deduct the 50%.

Robert Grieve......

How is deferred wages a “cost cutting measure”?

Decent enough gesture by the staff. They’ll get what their due if/when STs are sold and we get back to “normal”.

However, we’ll still have an issue further down the line. We mustn’t underestimate the impact that Covid-19 is and will have on our future operations.

Let’s say for talking sake, we planned a transfer kitty of £10m in the summer. Covid-19 has just saw that become about £6m/£7m.

Then how would the club have paid the remaining percentage of wages for the next three months with no money coming in?
Yesterday: Thieving gypsy 19th Century Terrorist bastards out for the british coin shouldn't be furloughing while they are cash rich
Today: I'm proud of Rangers for doing so.

Top banter.

Fwiw like I've said all along the club should be making use of it as we have every right to do so.

we shouldn’t be and I think the government and especially HMRC will make it difficult for clubs to do so.

the players could and should have taken a 50% cut!

IMO Gerrard doesn’t need his 50% and never will

Robert Grieve......

How is deferred wages a “cost cutting measure”?

Decent enough gesture by the staff. They’ll get what their due if/when STs are sold and we get back to “normal”.

However, we’ll still have an issue further down the line. We mustn’t underestimate the impact that Covid-19 is and will have on our future operations.

Let’s say for talking sake, we planned a transfer kitty of £10m in the summer. Covid-19 has just saw that become about £6m/£7m.

Unless we sell then due to the Covid19 I would be stunned if we spend money on anyway and the same for the peados

Unless we sell then due to the Covid19 I would be stunned if we spend money on anyway and the same for the peados

Yes I think you’re right.... I was referring to a simplistic scenario of the impact that Covid-19 will have on our finances.

But given that most teams in world football will be impacted - who is likely to spend the sort of money we’d be looking for in a transfer fee for a sellable asset like Morelos? Where £15m might’ve got buyers to the table, with us perhaps holding out for £20m - that’s just never going to happen now imo. Only top end EPL, La Liga and Bundesliga will be in a position throw money about and he ain’t going to be attracting serious interest from those clubs.

Not only will the current situation cripple our chances to invest in the playing squad but it’ll also hamper our bargaining power to command higher fees for our players.

I can’t see many changes in our playing squad next season now.... And we might see the likes of Flanagan getting new contracts!

Well done to everyone involved, this is how it should be done. I understand the issue with furlough but we are not a cash rich club, we still need cash injections from the board to keep going which is a much better reason to do it than claiming you're a wealthy club and doing it imo.

Should be a cut and not a deferral but I suppose that kind of thinking is having a pop at the club as all the free thinkers on here are pointing out.
It’s not really having a pop at the club it’s having a pop at the players.
The club couldn’t unilaterally apply a cut without breaching the players contracts in which case we would have risked kissing goodbye to any transfer fees for Morelos, Barišić etc.
The players would need to volunteer or agree any wage cut and I am sure that would have been much more difficult than agreeing a deferral with everyone.
If things continue like this or get worse, cuts will be needed in future.

Deferring wages is the right call for now. It allows the club to continue operating at that has to be main the priority.

If this awful situation drags on past the 3 months, I have no doubt this agreement will have to be revisited and I hope the same mature, pragmatic and understanding mindset continue to be at the fore.

No prizes for guessing what’s going through Lawwell‘s mind right now.

I reckon there’ll be increasing pressure on players to accept cuts. Ultimstely, clubs run the very real risk of going out of business.

Actions of the senior players have allowed club to ensure everyone keeps their jobs

Allowed club to defer ST renewals for fans also

Folk might be angry or whatever at players, personally I think that’s harsh

Worth remembering more you earn the more you spend, they didn’t have to do this

great effort from everyone in my humble opinion

Manager will be doing an interview with RTV about this later

(again only my opinion)

Have I picked up the statement wrong and the players etc are actually deferring 50% of their salary for 3 months rather than 100%?

It's money that would have to be paid during this financial year anyway so does not effect the paybill for the year.

It does however really help cashflow, which is the most important thing just now, until some money starts coming in.

The club are gambling ST income the same as last year. It won't be. A lot of guys worrying about their leccy bill and food on the table before a daft game of fitba. That's not just us it's everyone.

Probably when the new investment is in place.

However we have done the right thing. We could not expect taxpayers money to be used for salaries when the highest earners made no sacrifice.
They haven't made a sacrifice though?

Last edited:
My logic is before any regular staff have to make any changes, players and management who are on big wages have to do something first. I know it’s a wage deferral for 3 months and some want a cut, but this is a good gesture volunteered by the players and management. It shows all of Rangers will get through it together in my view.

A good gesture? If the club says we're skint there's no wages what do the players do then. Oh aye we're free agents we'll find another club. Good luck with that. Every cnuts skint. Barcelona's skint. Juve's skint. Burnleys skint.

The world's skint. Good luck in finding someone giving you 15k a week. A reality check needed for our/everyone's players.

Welcome to the real world boys.

we shouldn’t be and I think the government and especially HMRC will make it difficult for clubs to do so.

The whole point of the scheme is to prevent businesses from having to lay off staff while revenue is massively reduced.

Why would the government introduce a scheme then prevent businesses from using it? We'd likely need to layoff at least some staff in that case.

I certainly wouldn’t have expected 50%, but surely they could have done 20%? They’re not working, they’re earning an absolute fortune for doing nothing, they’ll already have a fortune in the Bank, rent and mortgage payments are frozen, they know the club’s present financial position and that we’re not cash rich.

You can’t force them, they’re entitled to the money, but I thought they’d have been more selfless, or what I consider selfless anyway and actually saved the club some money. A deferral is certainly better than nothing, but when you’re on what they earn and you’re not actually working they’re not exactly white knights either.

Reactions: SE5
I certainly wouldn’t have expected 50%, but surely they could have done 20%? They’re not working, they’re earning an absolute fortune for doing nothing, they’ll already have a fortune in the Bank, rent and mortgage payments are frozen, they know the club’s present financial position and that we’re not cash rich.

You can’t force them, they’re entitled to the money, but I thought they’d have been more selfless, or what I consider selfless anyway and actually saved the club some money. A deferral is certainly better than nothing, but when you’re on what they’re doing and you’re not actually working they’re not exactly white knights either.
They could be furloughed surely?

The deferral is shocking IMO - Every other high earner in the country who is not essential is going to find themselves in this boat, baffles me why footballers are different.

I cannot see how the players could win. The agenda would be
Deferred wage--greedy /Sevco can't afford to pay them
Take wage cut--how many other players in Scotland have taken wage cut ? Should have taken bigger cut
No action--greedy
We have outgoings of about £2.5/3m per month for 1st team group with no income. No brainer. This again exposes the Rangers support as being fractured and overly critical of the club, so much hatred on FF to the club.

It was embarrassing when Liverpool announced they planned to utilise the job retention scheme. Liverpool were rightly hounded in the press and on social media.

It's no different now that we are planning to furlough. Football clubs the size of ours, with turnovers in the tens of millions and with individual players on £20k per week, should not be using government/taxpayer funds to pay the wages of non-playing staff.

It doesn't matter that the players have deferred wages for 3 months... they will still get paid in full.

A "club" is supposed to mean more than a business/company.

A good gesture? If the club says we're skint there's no wages what do the players do then. Oh aye we're free agents we'll find another club. Good luck with that. Every cnuts skint. Barcelona's skint. Juve's skint. Burnleys skint.

The world's skint. Good luck in finding someone giving you 15k a week. A reality check needed for our/everyone's players.

Welcome to the real world boys.
What would you rather happens then? Your post reeks of hysterics, these clubs are not skint, they are short of cash flow, as will ours be, there’s a difference! When this is passed do you think we and others won’t fill our stadium and bring money in! They are doing something at least. Not refusing wage cuts or watching the regular staff have to change while they sit on their big salaries. Those turning on the players and management should get a grip, they’re doing more than others!

It was embarrassing when Liverpool announced they planned to utilise the job retention scheme. Liverpool were rightly hounded in the press and on social media.

It's no different now that we are planning to furlough. Football clubs the size of ours, with turnovers in the tens of millions and with individual players on £20k per week, should not be using government/taxpayer funds to pay the wages of non-playing staff.

It doesn't matter that the players have deferred wages for 3 months... they will still get paid in full.

Hi mate, England is totally different to Scottish football. At this time of year the only turnover is gate receipts, hospitality and other revenues. All ST money is away and the business model is then geared up for new ST money coming in. We dont even know when the europa league money is coming so I can understand why we are using it

Hi mate, England is totally different to Scottish football. At this time of year the only turnover is gate receipts, hospitality and other revenues. All ST money is away and the business model is then geared up for new ST money coming in. We dont even know when the europa league money is coming so I can understand why we are using it

It doesn't sit right with me.

We are a loss making business trying to get back on our feet after years of pillaging by the spivs while still trying to compete on the park.

The truth of the matter is we NEED to furlough our staff here in order to get through this. This is serious. The same people moaning about this will probably be the same ones who were moaning the fact it was rumoured that season ticket renewals would be out this week. You can’t have it both ways.

We are in no way comparable financially to an EPL team, let alone Liverpool.

What should we be doing? Borrowing cash to pay full wages and being hit with significant interest costs?

I passed by Ibrox yesterday and the groundsmen were all still in working away. I'm assuming we will keep them on as the pitch was in a terrible condition and will need maintained

Barry Ferguson mentions in the paper today that the players will get the deferred wages from January next year onwards. So it’s a good while before the Club have to make the payments.

I get that many would have preferred cuts, I would as well because that actually saves the Club money, however I think we have to realise here that the Club, without this gesture, would have been in serious trouble over the Summer. We may yet still be in that position. We will be looking to find every saving we can over the next few months. I’m not sure where folk think the cash to keep the Club running is coming from without these sort of moves. My concern, on football matters only, is simply that the Club come out the other end of this.

Last edited:
What would you rather happens then? Your post reeks of hysterics, these clubs are not skint, they are short of cash flow, as will ours be, there’s a difference! When this is passed do you think we and others won’t fill our stadium and bring money in! They are doing something at least. Not refusing wage cuts or watching the regular staff have to change while they sit on their big salaries. Those turning on the players and management should get a grip, they’re doing more than others!

The players are doing absolutely nothing to help the lower paid staff. They are taking their full wages for doing nothing. They are not getting paid the full actual money for some months but still taking every penny they are entitled to.

Lower paid staff are being helped by the tax payer. Government are paying their wages.

In such difficult times highly paid footballers could have given up 3 months pay. Then the club would not have needed tax payer support. Issue for me is theseplayers have a very privileged position and could have done something positive like players at Juventus did.

Let’s be honest they wouldn’t have missed it. Many other players are helping the communities the club are part of. Alfredo seems to be the only one of ours doing much.

says a bit about the players to me.

The players are doing absolutely nothing to help the lower paid staff. They are taking their full wages for doing nothing. They are not getting paid the full actual money for some months but still taking every penny they are entitled to.

Lower paid staff are being helped by the tax payer. Government are paying their wages.

In such difficult times highly paid footballers could have given up 3 months pay. Then the club would not have needed tax payer support. Issue for me is theseplayers have a very privileged position and could have done something positive like players at Juventus did.

Let’s be honest they wouldn’t have missed it. Many other players are helping the communities the club are part of. Alfredo seems to be the only one of ours doing much.

Exactly

his charity has had thousands put in by fans and sponsors it’s not just himself it’s came from donations from the normal guy on the street have been propping up his charity

Back