50% wages deferred for 3 months

The players are doing absolutely nothing to help the lower paid staff. They are taking their full wages for doing nothing. They are not getting paid the full actual money for some months but still taking every penny they are entitled to.

Lower paid staff are being helped by the tax payer. Government are paying their wages.

In such difficult times highly paid footballers could have given up 3 months pay. Then the club would not have needed tax payer support. Issue for me is theseplayers have a very privileged position and could have done something positive like players at Juventus did.

Let’s be honest they wouldn’t have missed it. Many other players are helping the communities the club are part of. Alfredo seems to be the only one of ours doing much.

says a bit about the players to me.
There is a valid point the players could do more I agree with that. In regards to furlough we need to remain competitive, they are doing it with all their cash when the clearly don’t need to then we have to follow suit, we probably need to do it more than them anyway but if we’re not doing it and spending all our money to see us through, while they are not then we’re fucked! At least our players are doing something and not sitting on their big salaries while others at the club have to make changes!

I am going to salute the British tax payer. they are giving out money as if Xmas has come early. it will bite us as tax payers,supporters and families in the future in some shape or form.

It’s impending doom time if you read some of the crackpots from Ireland. The club is going doon the swanny imminently due to this news.

we are skint, it’s been the way for a fair old while but this makes it worse. But we will be no different to any other football club right now. Our main source of income isn’t allowed to enter the stadium. So of course we will lose money, but if we have deferred wages then that’s a good thing, it keeps the head above water for a period.

The players are doing absolutely nothing to help the lower paid staff. They are taking their full wages for doing nothing. They are not getting paid the full actual money for some months but still taking every penny they are entitled to.

Lower paid staff are being helped by the tax payer. Government are paying their wages.

In such difficult times highly paid footballers could have given up 3 months pay. Then the club would not have needed tax payer support. Issue for me is theseplayers have a very privileged position and could have done something positive like players at Juventus did.

Let’s be honest they wouldn’t have missed it. Many other players are helping the communities the club are part of. Alfredo seems to be the only one of ours doing much.

I have no idea what the players are or are not doing to help their local community.

Do you?

The furlough scheme is to help businesses retain staff they would otherwise have had to release. Our Club is struggling for cash and we’ve seen proposed investors walk away, for now at least. Had the players not deferred then its likely that the non-playing staff would have found themselves either getting just the Govt 80% - or being laid off completely. As it is they too, just like the players, can now sit at home and get paid full salary.

Don’t get me wrong, I too would have preferred the players to take a cut rather than a deferral. Nevertheless, for me, this is more about the Club coming through this. The players have, at least, enhanced that prospect.

I wonder what we will now do with players out of contract on 31 May. Halliday and a few others? If we want to save money presumably we should just let them go, stop paying them and leave them high and dry with nowhere to go.

It’s also had hundreds of thousands put into it by Morelos. Not really sure what point you’re trying to make here.

A weird thing to have a pop at him about to say the least.

it’s not a pop at all I’m saying that posters are painting him as only player to be doing anything when reality is it’s his charity which has been helped by normal working class donations

I think it’s fantastic what the charity does but to slate every other player is unfair in my humble opinion

Feel exactly the same way. Nothing to boast about here but note Morelos actions here

The players have done the right thing ,we at the moment will have a cash flow problem and by doing this they are assisting the club by deferring their wages and keeping the other staff in a job and helping them receive their full wages. Once things start back again then we can start to go back to normal. Now I assume this government scheme is a loan rather than a grant. If that is correct what I would find difficult is if the loan is not paid back and we start buying players. For me every club who receives money should have paid it back before they buy any players. That to me is only fair.

We know they’ve agreed to collect some of their money a few months later. That’s about as much as we need to know. I mean you’d imagine the idea of small but temporary cuts was discussed because that really would benefit the club much more, and well we can fill in the blanks.

I’m not having a massive go, they have contracts and they’re entitled to the money, I just won’t be massively singing their praises or kowtowing to them for agreeing to collect some of their cash a little later than usual during a crisis, given they’re all very wealthy individuals.
Thing is the way that are doing this no one loses their salary everyone gets paid the same as before and no one loses their jobs.

Cuts in general benefit only the club longer term as they don't have to pay money out they would have had to under normal circumstances not the people salaries be it grounds keeper or player they are still entitled to it

The club are gambling ST income the same as last year. It won't be. A lot of guys worrying about their leccy bill and food on the table before a daft game of fitba. That's not just us it's everyone.

I think "gambling" paints the wrong picture though I know what you mean.

I think "hoping for" would be more accurate. Gambling makes it sound like they are deliberately taking a chance, this is a situation which has been thrust upon them, like everyone else.

The furlough scheme is to help businesses retain staff they would otherwise have had to release. Our Club is struggling for cash and we’ve seen proposed investors walk away, for now at least. Had the players not deferred then its likely that the non-playing staff would have found themselves either getting just the Govt 80% - or being laid off completely. As it is they too, just like the players, can now sit at home and get paid full salary.

Don’t get me wrong, I too would have preferred the players to take a cut rather than a deferral. Nevertheless, for me, this is more about the Club coming through this. The players have, at least, enhanced that prospect.

I wonder what we will now do with players out of contract on 31 May. Halliday and a few others? If we want to save money presumably we should just let them go, stop paying them and leave them high and dry with nowhere to go.

My point is the players could have said no wages when we aren’t playing and then the club could use that money to pay other staff.

I think it is wrong big clubs paying players huge salaries are supported by this scheme.

I also think this shows a lot about the players we have at the club and what motivates them. Money is obviously the key thing. That Maybe explains some of the performances.

No prizes for guessing what’s going through Lawwell‘s mind right now.

I reckon there’ll be increasing pressure on players to accept cuts. Ultimstely, clubs run the very real risk of going out of business.

They’ll have a far harder time convincing Edouard and others to take wage cuts now that Rangers have deferred wages.

French ned shot a young girl in the face with an air rifle for no reason he doesn’t strike me as the kind of guy you’d like to be in the trenches with.

My point is the players could have said no wages when we aren’t playing and then the club could use that money to pay other staff.

I think it is wrong big clubs paying players huge salaries are supported by this scheme.

I also think this shows a lot about the players we have at the club and what motivates them. Money is obviously the key thing. That Maybe explains some of the performances.
Of course players are playing for money it’s there career that could end in an instant if they get injured.footballers are an easy target and it’s hypocritical nonsense because once football is back fans will be clamoring for there respective clubs to pay as much as they can for the best players available.

The players have done the right thing ,we at the moment will have a cash flow problem and by doing this they are assisting the club by deferring their wages and keeping the other staff in a job and helping them receive their full wages. Once things start back again then we can start to go back to normal. Now I assume this government scheme is a loan rather than a grant. If that is correct what I would find difficult is if the loan is not paid back and we start buying players. For me every club who receives money should have paid it back before they buy any players. That to me is only fair.

No. it's a grant.

I passed by Ibrox yesterday and the groundsmen were all still in working away. I'm assuming we will keep them on as the pitch was in a terrible condition and will need maintained
Cant keep the guys working and furlough them. Furlough means there is no work for them. If at work must get paid as normal.

I may have missed it. But in any statement from Tav or the club have they confirmed the figure is 50%? Or are we going on what press are saying?

You paid off all your staff Robert. That's fact.
You told us all on here.

No furlough. No phuck all.

The only thing you care about is Rab Marshall.

Fuckin Rangers family. Do one ya selfish ride.

You could not give a phuck about your staff or the Rangers background employee's.

The only thing for you is Rab Marshall and family.

That's fair enough but spare us all the sanctimony about it's all about the Rangers .

It's all about you Ran

And most of us know it.
I think you have misread my post or I have not been very clear.
We have 6 full-time staff which we have furloughed and we are making up the other 20% of their wages. We also have a raft of part-time staff who we have also applied to be furloughed.
As for not caring about staff, we pay £12 an hour, much more than any pub I have heard of.
As for Rangers background employees, I know a few of them. My son is one of them.
Of all the posts that have criticised me, this must be the most ignorant, nasty and ill-informed one I have seen.
I don't expect an apology
Thanks for your contribution.

Now we're just paying the players nothing?!

This thread is quite something :D

Last edited:
I think you have misread my post or I have not been very clear.
We have 6 full-time staff which we have furloughed and we are making up the other 20% of their wages. We also have a raft of part-time staff who we have also applied to be furloughed.
As for not caring about staff, we pay £12 an hour, much more than any pub I have heard of.
As for Rangers background employees, I know a few of them. My son is one of them.
Of all the posts that have criticised me, this must be the most ignorant, nasty and ill-informed one I have seen.
I don't expect an apology
Thanks for your contribution.

I know you need to address these crackpots, but nearly all of us know that post and its ilk is straight from zoomer land or poetsville.

What investors have walked away?

Find it strange a guy with 80 million quid in the bank, Gerrard, couldn't take a small pay cut for a few months. Same goes for guys we've made millionaires like Tav and Morelos.

Different principles for different folk, I guess.

and i bet all the haters are saying "i hope they go bust"
thats why i have no sympathy for any other club

Players are not sitting around twiddling there thumbs at home.they will have individual training schedules which will be recorded by the coaching staff and for that reason alone the players cannot be furloughed

Your last sentence is exactly as it should be or a total transfer embargo,although a lot of club's in Scotland if it wasn't for the 2 weekly cash flow they would have been declared insolvent years ago.

Find it strange a guy with 80 million quid in the bank, Gerrard, couldn't take a small pay cut for a few months. Same goes for guys we've made millionaires like Tav and Morelos.

Different principles for different folk, I guess.
They will be paying way more tax than most of us on here.they will have mortgages that would make most people on here eyes water.if they have kids they are probably sending them to a private school.they will have expenses in line with what they earn.

I am going to salute the British tax payer. they are giving out money as if Xmas has come early. it will bite us as tax payers,supporters and families in the future in some shape or form.

Guaranteed. Same thing happening in Oz. We are (rightly) seeing payments to keep people above the poverty line and to try to maintain employment continuity in businesses that can no longer function at anything approaching normality. But to ignore the fact that this will build up a taxpayer debt that can only be repaid through high, long term taxation is to ignore the bleeding obvious.

it’s not a pop at all I’m saying that posters are painting him as only player to be doing anything when reality is it’s his charity which has been helped by normal working class donations

I think it’s fantastic what the charity does but to slate every other player is unfair in my humble opinion

Aye that's how charities generally work.

As the previous post said it's a really weird point you're trying to make.

Correct, in which I think is wrong.

Furthough the staff who will lose 20% of their pay yet the players will still get their 15k plus salary a week eventually.

0 wages coming out for 3 months is huge for us. It will allow the other staff to be topped up 20% to ensure they are not impacted and give us a hope of saving enough money to be active in the transfer window.

Plus, no-ones saying that all moneys owed will be paid back in 12 weeks. Just that no saleries for that time and recompension will be arranged later once we're financially secure again. It will likely be full, but that may be discussed at a later date if necessary. I'd imagine if there is summer football and we are able to start selling out Ibrox again, reimbursing in full is fair and correct seeing as they are continuing to train as much as possible in isolation.

They will be paying way more tax than most of us on here.they will have mortgages that would make most people on here eyes water.if they have kids they are probably sending them to a private school.they will have expenses in line with what they earn.

No doubt mate. But these guys would not miss a small wage cut. This isn't a dig just at them and Rangers; I would expect any high earner at any company to be doing the same in the current climate. Time for heroes etc.

At the same time, we don't know the full details yet and speculating about other folk's money is always a dangerous path to go down, so I'll bow out.

No doubt mate. But these guys would not miss a small wage cut. This isn't a dig just at them and Rangers; I would expect any high earner at any company to be doing the same in the current climate. Time for heroes etc.

At the same time, we don't know the full details yet and speculating about other folk's money is always a dangerous path to go down, so I'll bow out.
There won’t be a single person who isn’t going to be effected by this crisis from the richest to the poorest.most people and businesses are trying to do the right thing but we all have different opinions on what is the right thing to do.the club is in a position where it isn’t going to please everybody in our support so it has to do what it sees is the best course of action for the club.

There seems to be an assumption here that all
Our players are earning fortunes. This simply is not the case for much of the squad - does anyone seriously think the likes of Jones and Firth are earning big money?

It is one of the things that makes this very difficult - we will have some players, like Defoe and Davis who are likely set for life, but many who simply cannot afford a significant and prolonged reduction in wages.

It’s not really having a pop at the club it’s having a pop at the players.
The club couldn’t unilaterally apply a cut without breaching the players contracts in which case we would have risked kissing goodbye to any transfer fees for Morelos, Barišić etc.
The players would need to volunteer or agree any wage cut and I am sure that would have been much more difficult than agreeing a deferral with everyone.
If things continue like this or get worse, cuts will be needed in future.
Players are not sitting around twiddling there thumbs at home.they will have individual training schedules which will be recorded by the coaching staff and for that reason alone the players cannot be furloughed
Who’s even mentioned players being furloughed?
Ordinary working stiffs are looking a very rich players basically banking a chunk of their wages until this pandemic hopefully subsides, by then who knows what financial state the club will be in and as usually it’s their paying customers that will have to dig deep for ST’s and boxes.
A large chunk of that money will be back in these players pockets leaving the club in a much weaker financial position when the new season finally comes round.
There are people losing their jobs and making huge sacrifices during this time and I simply don’t see what sacrifice these pamper players are making that will harm them in any way.

Several of the Bundesliga clubs have implemented large pay cuts. Juve have done it. Atletico Madrid and Barcelona are reported to be taking cuts of around 70%. The West Brom chief executive and Stendel at Hearts are taking 100% wage cuts.

I'm sure plenty of the above have large outgoings.

Considering the players haven't played or trained in weeks and probably won't be for the next two or three months at the very least a pay cut of some kind would've been a better gesture.

Last edited:
Back