52 year old Japanese striker extends contract by 1 year

Theoretically, players can retain fitness and youthful vigour so much better nowadays due to the many advantages of modern society.
Yet the demands of the modern game at the top level seem to continue to take their toll and the age of retiring footballers tends to be little different at the top level.
In the past, a simple (today's simple) knee injury or ankle ligament strain could often see a player's career ended.
However medical techniques can more often than not solve these problems.
Nonetheless, other wear and tear impacts upon the body caused by the game today still render a football player's career a short one.
I can't really see players going beyond their late thirties on a regular basis as for every positive there seems to occur a negative.

I keep up to date with King Kazu through the Football Ramble podcast, it’s an impressive record.

That's me just sent my CV in to Ibrox with my following accompanying letter:

Dear Mr Gerard

As an equal opportunities employer I am sure Rangers would consider my CV. At the age of 60 I consider myself as fully employable so would like to apply for a role in your first team.

You will note that my sporting career has been mainly deployed in chasing eggs as I'm a big bloke with two left feet, although I did once hit a 30 yard screamer for 13th Motherwell BB in 1975.

My best position is on the bench and I'd be especially keen to fulfil that role towards the end of April/beginning of May of this season and I can assure you that, when we win 55, no one will run on to the pitch with greater glee or with more gusto than me.

You don't even have to pay me and some of the training gear may have to be adjusted for my size but what a credit it would be for Rangers to have the oldest registered player in footballing history on their books. I see this as a win-win.

Yours in anticipation

Carson's Cat

Last edited:
He’s hardly played any football in the last year or so and his team have been promoted to the J league. I suspect his new contract is more of a symbolic gesture given his stature in Japan

Had a look at his Wikipedia page there...started his professional career in 1982 with Santos in Brazil.

The forward that played against us for Young Boys was 35 and still looked good enough at that level.

A bit off this guy admittedly, but he could probably do 3 or 4 years in the SPL if we could sign him.

That's me just sent my CV in to Ibrox with my following accompanying letter:

Dear Mr Gerard

As an equal opportunities employer I am sure Rangers would consider my CV. At the age of 60 I consider myself as fully employable so would like to apply for a role in your first team.

You will note that my sporting career has been mainly deployed in chasing eggs as I'm a big bloke with two left feet, although I did once hit a 30 yard screamer for 13th Motherwell BB in 1975.

My best position is on the bench and I'd be especially keen to fulfil that role towards the end of April/beginning of May of this season and I can assure you that, when we win 55, no one will run on to the pitch with greater glee or with more gusto than me.

You don't even have to pay me and some of the training gear may have to be adjusted for my size but what a credit it would be for Rangers to have the oldest registered player in footballing history on their books. I see this as a win-win.

Yours in anticipation

Carson's Cat

Unfortunately the job market is very competitive these days and your application would have been binned at the third word when you misspelled Gerrard!

Fair play to the guy , I’m 43 and even fives is a distant memory

Im coming up for 43.

Its reassuring in a way there are still footballers (well one at least) out there who are actually older than me.

Im now at the stage some managers are younger than me!

Scarily Steve Davis partner could have a child just now - when he grew up old enough to play professional football Davis would still be younger than this guy.

He retired from international football 20 years ago so it just goes to show that doing so does prolong your club career.

When I played amateurs our manager played when a player got injured and we had no subs. He was well into his sixties, and he was pish.:eek:

Back