6 years ago tonight, the biggest embarrassment in football history?

My facebook memories told me I said “Germany with a bit to spare”. Didn’t expect that.

A deserved pumping for Brazil that night for that pish alone.
BsDD_yYIIAAF_AU.jpg

I missed most of the fucking goals. Was on my honeymoon when this game was on. Think it was the second or third day of our holiday and we had been out all day.

We were in a beach bar and I saw the first goal go in, she then decided she wanted something to eat from the burger van next door to be bar, so I said I would go, by the time I ordered, waited and came back with the food Germany were 5-0 up.

Never seen anything like it. 3 Germans in the bar going mad. I could hear the cheers from the bar while I was waiting but I just assumed they were pished and watching replays or something!

Me and my auld man sat in stunned silence during the break at half time. My missus came through to check we were alright and didn't believe us when we told her the score. I think the Germans took the foot off the pedal in the second half as well cause they could have hit them for 10 no bother. Maybe my memory is tricking me with that, but Germany only really went at them again in the last quarter. Never seen, what most would consider a top side, utterly capitulate like that in my life before. It was like watching a murder.

Was so satisfying to watch. The movement of the Germans. The clinical finishing, the devastating forward passing.

Seeing the devastation of the hosts Brazil was surreal.

That game was on overnight here (OZ) and I woke early and had a look at the phone app without my glasses thought it was 1-1 but it didn't have anything about penalties etc, so I clicked on the scorers page and saw this long list of German names and thought WTF.

Never in my life would I have ever thought I'd see a score like that especially in Brazil, that team were poor as Brazilian teams go but like someone else said I'm surprised none of them were shot, especially Luis, that was Keirnon like defending.

Germany almost and should've scored an 8th when Ozil missed a great chance,just before Brazil scored their goal.
A work colleague was on a flight home during the game and when he got off the plane,he along with many folk checked their phones for the score and the look of disbelief was everywhere.
Incredible result,even early on in the tournament it was obvious Brazil weren't good enough to win it but I certainly didn't expect them to be humiliated like they were !.
You’ve just reminded me I put 20 quid on Germany winning by 7 or something when they were 6-1 up. Not sure of the details but the Ozil chance sent me into a fit of rage. Can’t remember the exact bet , but aye pr1k

Was round at a friend’s house with a few mates watching it. Remember a stunned silence as the goals flew in during a mad 10-15 minute spell in the first half.

You knew you are watching history unfold before your eyes. That will be a game that is still spoke about 100 years from now.

I missed most of the fucking goals. Was on my honeymoon when this game was on. Think it was the second or third day of our holiday and we had been out all day.

We were in a beach bar and I saw the first goal go in, she then decided she wanted something to eat from the burger van next door to be bar, so I said I would go, by the time I ordered, waited and came back with the food Germany were 5-0 up.

Never seen anything like it. 3 Germans in the bar going mad. I could hear the cheers from the bar while I was waiting but I just assumed they were pished and watching replays or something!
Is she still wearing the trousers?

Luiz wasn't the worst that day. They had Fred strolling about like he was playing in his own testimonial

That game always makes me think about how underrated Toni Kroos is by some in the football world.

He’s been a starter at both Real and Bayern over the past ten years, a decade in which he was won 4 European Cups, 1 World Cup, multiple Bundesliga’s and a La Liga title. Not bad for someone who just turned 30 this year.

In my opinion he’s got a strong claim to be called the best midfielder of the 2010’s.

Miranda and Filipe Luis were part of arguably the best defence in Europe at that time and one the best defences we’d seen in years yet neither got a sniff near the team. I remember watching it thinking they got what they deserved thinking they’re too good to defend.

Luiz wasn't the worst that day. They had Fred strolling about like he was playing in his own testimonial
That was so funny. He popped up on the big screen sat looking like a prat on the bench and the whole stadium booed him.

Probably the most mental game of football I’ve ever seen.

I was living in Australia at the time. Think it was a 5 or 5.30 am kick off or something. Remember hoping it didn’t go to extra time as I’d have to leave for work at 10 to 7. Sat there in total disbelief at what I was watching. It could have been 15 if they had kept going after the break.

Last edited:
That game always makes me think about how underrated Toni Kroos is by some in the football world.

He’s been a starter at both Real and Bayern over the past ten years, a decade in which he was won 4 European Cups, 1 World Cup, multiple Bundesliga’s and a La Liga title. Not bad for someone who just turned 30 this year.

In my opinion he’s got a strong claim to be called the best midfielder of the 2010’s.

Kroos is a magnificent footballer.

I was in a bar in Bremerhaven with a couple of work colleagues watching the game. The locals could not believe it was happening. One of those, I remember where I was moments

You just knew if any side was going to go into that arena full of confidence it would have been the Germans. I always support the European sides v S American so this result was splendid for me!

Remember watching this thinking this game be full of goals for both teams couldn’t believe it when Germany were 4-0 before half time

Brazil were lucky to even get that far, an ordinary team who really should have got beaten by Columbia, played them off the park

i thought it was about any one of the numerous times scum fc have lost a cup tie to a tean from a lower division (including rangers),
but berwick 1967 appears to be only time a top tier club has lost to a lower team if you believe the scottish media scum.

I always liked Brazil and still do, but they way they were acting around Neymar (whos a wee pr!ck) and the whole build up to that game, I really wanted them to get scudded.

Couldn't believe it when it happened like that though. They completely lost their professionalism.

Watched the game with my Brazilian Father-in-law. He went absolutely mental and he’s not even a massive football fan either.

I completely forgot about them holding up Neymar's shirt before the game. What an absolute red neck :D

Looking at the starting line ups its clear that Germany were the far better side. Brazil had been pretty average throughout the tournament before this and Colombia pushed them pretty close the round before.

The calm and clinical finishing in that first half by the Germans was incredible. 5-0 at half-time, if I recall correctly.

The 3rd and 7th goals were rockets.

Every other goal was a result of clever passing and / or accurate, side-footed shots.

A masterclass in not squandering opportunities and taking chances.

It looks like a training ground exercise.

I’d say Progres was more embarrassing, that clown should have been sacked that night along with whoever appointed him.

Brasil lost my respect when I took my kid to see the opening ceremony of the World Cup ’98 against Scotland. Our national team were not yet wholly demonised by the tartan army, but the huge surprise was how the Brasil fans treated our fans like dirt. It was like being in the jungle at parkheid in the 60’s and 70’s. They acted like mentally challengeds. Since then, I’ve disliked them and thoroughly enjoyed watching them get hammered at home.

That whole World Cup he was dreadful, every pundit was so confused as to why he was there and what he offered.

1 goal from a striker that reached the semi-final is woeful.

Even Luiz sl and Oscar scored 2!

Back