65 years ago tomorrow, the last appearance of the great Willie Waddell

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
Season 1954-55 was a disappointing one for Rangers. Knocked out early in both Cup competitions and too inconsistent in the league to mount a serious challenge, finishing 3rd behind winners Aberdeen.
As if to sum up the misery of the season, on April 2nd 1955 Rangers travelled to Pittodrie and were comprehensively beaten by 4-0. This was to be the last competitive appearance of the legendary right winger Willie Waddell. But no matter the way his career ended, this was a man who belongs at the very top table when we debate the Greatest Ever to represent the club.

His playing career was entirely at Ibrox, save a short spell on loan to junior club Strathclyde Juniors when aged 16.

Debut at 17 against Arsenal. First goal at 17, against Hibs in October 1938.
Including wartime, 546 appearances with 140 goals. Only 15 of these goals were penalties.
Never booked or sent off.
18 Scotland caps with 6 goals, the star if a famous win at Wembley in 1949
4 league titles plus 7 more in wartime.
2 Scottish Cups.
Scorer of a last day goal in 1953 to win the title on goal average.

Regarded as one of the best crossers of the ball in Scottish football history, his partnership with centre forward Willie Thornton is legendary.
Unlucky in Cup finals, he missed 2 winning League Cups and 2 winning Scottish Cups through injury. Willie Waddell was a genuine superstar of post war Scottish football.

Then add to all this what he achieved after his playing career.

Manager of Kilmarnock when they won their only ever Scottish championship title (another last day triumph on goal average).
A highly successful journalist.
Then returned to the club he loved in 1969 as manager.
Broke our barren trophy run in the famous 1970 League Cup final
Manager at our lowest time, the 1971 disaster, when he was a figurehead of dignity.
Manager in our greatest day just a year later, leading Rangers to a European trophy.

Then General Manager who was determined to turn Ibrox into a seated stadium where disaster couldn't happen again.
And who argued with UEFA to reduce our ban after the Barcelona final.
Vice chairman for 4 years.
A club board member till he passed away aged 71 in 1992.

He could be uncompromising and even cruel.
His managerial record against Celtic was awful.
A man nowhere near perfect, but what couldn't be argued was his absolute love of Rangers and our traditions, and his pride in the Royal Blue shirt. A real Son of Struth.

And he gets the highest compliment I have. My dad voted for him as The Greatest Ranger.

Great post mate

On a very select level with Struth , Morton , Meiklejohn ,Wallace, Greig , Walter Smith , McCoist ,George Young , Dave King , probably a few others

Season 1954-55 was a disappointing one for Rangers. Knocked out early in both Cup competitions and too inconsistent in the league to mount a serious challenge, finishing 3rd behind winners Aberdeen.
As if to sum up the misery of the season, on April 2nd 1955 Rangers travelled to Pittodrie and were comprehensively beaten by 4-0. This was to be the last competitive appearance of the legendary right winger Willie Waddell. But no matter the way his career ended, this was a man who belongs at the very top table when we debate the Greatest Ever to represent the club.

His playing career was entirely at Ibrox, save a short spell on loan to junior club Strathclyde Juniors when aged 16.

Debut at 17 against Arsenal. First goal at 17, against Hibs in October 1938.
Including wartime, 546 appearances with 140 goals. Only 15 of these goals were penalties.
Never booked or sent off.
18 Scotland caps with 6 goals, the star if a famous win at Wembley in 1949
4 league titles plus 7 more in wartime.
2 Scottish Cups.
Scorer of a last day goal in 1953 to win the title on goal average.

Regarded as one of the best crossers of the ball in Scottish football history, his partnership with centre forward Willie Thornton is legendary.
Unlucky in Cup finals, he missed 2 winning League Cups and 2 winning Scottish Cups through injury. Willie Waddell was a genuine superstar of post war Scottish football.

Then add to all this what he achieved after his playing career.

Manager of Kilmarnock when they won their only ever Scottish championship title (another last day triumph on goal average).
A highly successful journalist.
Then returned to the club he loved in 1969 as manager.
Broke our barren trophy run in the famous 1970 League Cup final
Manager at our lowest time, the 1971 disaster, when he was a figurehead of dignity.
Manager in our greatest day just a year later, leading Rangers to a European trophy.

Then General Manager who was determined to turn Ibrox into a seated stadium where disaster couldn't happen again.
And who argued with UEFA to reduce our ban after the Barcelona final.
Vice chairman for 4 years.
A club board member till he passed away aged 71 in 1992.

He could be uncompromising and even cruel.
His managerial record against Celtic was awful.
A man nowhere near perfect, but what couldn't be argued was his absolute love of Rangers and our traditions, and his pride in the Royal Blue shirt. A real Son of Struth.

And he gets the highest compliment I have. My dad voted for him as The Greatest Ranger.

My late Grandpa's favourite Ranger too mate.

He loved talking about the Waddell/Thornton partnership.

He said they had an almost telepathic understanding, the way Waddell's crosses would find Thornton's head.

Terrific read as always @dh1963.

My first ever post on Follow Follow was to claim that Willie Waddell was the Greatest Ever Ranger.

No offence to John Greig or any of the other worthy contenders but his record of service both on and off the field sets him apart from all others.

My first ever post on Follow Follow was to claim that Willie Waddell was the Greatest Ever Ranger.

No offence to John Greig or any of the other worthy contenders but his record of service both on and off the field sets him apart from all others.
I'm inclined to agree.

My old fella passed away in 1969, when I was quite young. His favourite player was The Deedle. I would argue that he couldn't have been better than Willie Henderson. The old fella just smiled and said, "I've seen them both, son".

My old fella passed away in 1969, when I was quite young. His favourite player was The Deedle. I would argue that he couldn't have been better than Willie Henderson. The old fella just smiled and said, "I've seen them both, son".

That was me and old man about Waddell and Cooper!

Or Thornton and DJ.

I was too young to see Baxter but at least there are some decent clips to watch.

Waddell is the player I would have loved to see live.

The story Wee Willie tells is that they had five weeks to prepare for the cup winners cup final. Willie received a call during training from someone asking him to go out and play a couple of games in South Africa. He said that Mr Waddell would never allow it so close to the final. He was told that Waddell had already sanctioned it. When he went up the marble stairs to query it, he was told "whilst you are here, we are giving you a free transfer" said it broke his heart. Whilst his mates were in Barcelona, Wee Willie was in Durban. Proves how ruthless Waddell was.

Back