77 years ago today - Rangers v Moscow Dynamo

mdingwall

Administrator
Dynamo came to Britain for a post-War tour and played four games.

The tour was played in an atmosphere of adulation - Dynamo were said to be the sports club of the Red Army whose reputation following the defeat of Germany - in fact they were the team of the NKVD, Stalin's secret police.

The scenes at Ibrox were hectic - tickets selling well over the score, the crowd was given as 80,000 but many saying it was over 100,000. The Russians having 12 men on the pitch at one time. The duel between Willie Waddell and the famous Russian goalie Tiger Komich.

My dad was at the game. He told a story on RTV when he was interviewed by RTV when we were on the Founders Trail a good few years ago. He told how he skipped school and went to the game with his pals. Only to get a hiding from his dad when he found out what he had done.

gn16.png

My dad was at the game. He told a story on RTV when he was interviewed by RTV when we were on the Founders Trail a good few years ago. He told how he skipped school and went to the game with his pals. Only to get a hiding from his dad when he found out what he had done.
My dad would have been fourteen and I hope so much he did the same.

The tour was played in an atmosphere of adulation - Dynamo were said to be the sports club of the Red Army whose reputation following the defeat of Germany - in fact they were the team of the NKVD, Stalin's secret police.

The scenes at Ibrox were hectic - tickets selling well over the score, the crowd was given as 80,000 but many saying it was over 100,000. The Russians having 12 men on the pitch at one time. The duel between Willie Waddell and the famous Russian goalie Tiger Komich.

Was that the blue and white hoops shirt Rangers were wearing ?

Even I’m not that old! But like others, I devoured stories about the Dynamo tour, especially the game at Ibrox when they tried to start the second half with 12 men on the park.

Absolutely amazing crowd, a lot of guys wanting to see Moscow Dynamo because of the enormous part the Soviet Union played in defeating Nazism and Fascism. I wonder how the revisionist clowns from Parkhead can deal with that?

The Rangers in Russia is an essential read for this period, great team we had.

My father was at the game and he is in this picture. What a shock I got when I found it. He always told me he was in the East Enclosure with a Russian friend of his and when someone posted the pic on here I spotted him immediately. Now framed and pride of place on my wall.
Amazing, some view standing on the side of the Main stand!

Wow,
Brilliant story
My Dad was at the game and mentioned it several times especially the 12 men on the pitch and the penalty we scored from although I don’t know which part of the ground he was in.

He would have been 21 at the time.

He took me to my early games in the sixties by lifting me over the Turnstile and by the time I had left Primary School I had pretty much been to every ground in the old First Division.

My father was at the game and he is in this picture. What a shock I got when I found it. He always told me he was in the East Enclosure with a Russian friend of his and when someone posted the pic on here I spotted him immediately. Now framed and pride of place on my wall.
Great story

My dad was 12 at the time. He plunked the school with his pals and went to the game. He got grassed off by one of his sisters who told their dad that he hadn't been at school in the afternoon. He never forgave her for that.

Did not bad when against 12 men!!!!
Torry Gillick Loyal!

My auld man never moved on from the Moscow Dynamo game - or that team of the 40s-50s - which, as a cub in the 60s and 70s, annoyed the %^*& out of me.

Apart from DJ who - although not as good a 'headerer' of a ball as Woodburn - at least got pass marks.

My dad who was 16 at the time went to the game, skipping off work early!!
He died a few years ago, but said it was one of the best games of football he has ever seen, and the atmosphere was among the best he ever experienced.

Torry Gillick Loyal!

My auld man never moved on from the Moscow Dynamo game - or that team of the 40s-50s - which, as a cub in the 60s and 70s, annoyed the %^*& out of me.

Apart from DJ who - although not as good a 'headerer' of a ball as Woodburn - at least got pass marks.
Would it not have been Willie Thornton as the header of the ball?

My old man still maintains that to this day.

Would it not have been Willie Thornton as the header of the ball?

My old man still maintains that to this day.
Willie Woodburn would have been heading the ball out of defence, Thornton heading it into the net. Despite the enormous effect a defender like WW had, I suspect you’re like me bud, goalscoring’s sexier!

Willie Woodburn would have been heading the ball out of defence, Thornton heading it into the net. Despite the enormous effect a defender like WW had, I suspect you’re like me bud, goalscoring’s sexier!
Willie Thornton's still my old man's favourite ever Rangers centre. That was his childhood idol.

He said of Woodburn, he would never be drawn outside the box when Rangers were under pressure. His reasoning was, if they want to score a goal they'll need to get into the box and that was his domain.

Willie Thornton's still my old man's favourite ever Rangers centre. That was his childhood idol.

He said of Woodburn, he would never be drawn outside the box when Rangers were under pressure. His reasoning was, if they want to score a goal they'll need to get into the box and that was his domain.
Your old man sounds incredible bud, unbelievable Rangers knowledge!

Willie Woodburn suspended sine die and the Jungles think there’s been a conspiracy against them from time immemorial? I’m an old man. I’ve always tried to be reasonable. But it’s getting harder old pal! I suspect you, me and a few others, especially Grigo, would agree.

Anyhoo, onwards, upwards and no surrender.

Oi, ye cannae stand there pal

Your old man sounds incredible bud, unbelievable Rangers knowledge!

Willie Woodburn suspended sine die and the Jungles think there’s been a conspiracy against them from time immemorial? I’m an old man. I’ve always tried to be reasonable. But it’s getting harder old pal! I suspect you, me and a few others, especially Grigo, would agree.

Anyhoo, onwards, upwards and no surrender.
He is.

As for me? Some people, and you'll never believe this, think I'm a crabbit old son of a bachelor.

As the saying goes;;

“I guess I should warn you, if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I said.” ...

Back