86/87 league win, recollections

Corkinator

One for the older bears.
During the 86/87 league campaign after 9 long years without the league, did it deal similar to this campaign? Unsure, pessimistic, excited, optimistic?
what can you remember, I’m confident but pessimistic this season, even though we’re 21 points ahead.

Started with two defeats which brought us back to earth with a bump!

Took us til well into the league season to start looking like challengers, if FF had existed it would have been bedlam :D
I was only 14 at the time and living in England so not much coverage, we did get the OF games recorded on video and sent down to us to watch. During the 80s if they were on tv. Not a lot of Scottish football on tv back then.
move watched the season videos on YouTube but it doesn’t capture the fans feelings back then.

I was only 11 and it was only my 2nd season going to the games regularly, but I’m sure after the Ne’er day game when won 2-0 that it felt like could happen.

Will never forget the buzz of going to Pittodrie and the anticipation that we might win it that day - although we weren’t expecting Falkirk to beat them at home!

I went to every game from 79 to January 87, Id seen some dismal crap under John Greig and Jock Wallace with more empty seats than full at Ibrox most games, fighting for 3rd, 4th and 5th places, then came Souness and away we went, it was every Bears dream, I joined up in January 87 and on the day we won the League I was in a Naafi bar with another Bear, Scotty McGhee from Bonhill, we had a radio and cried like a couple of wa.nkers when we finally won the title at Pittodrie that day.

I was in the Beach End that day

I had a radio and heard the news that Falkirk had won 2-1 v the mentally challengeds

When the final whistle went it was a joyous outpouring of emotion and hysteria

Ended up on the pitch in the Tsunami to get on to celebrate

It was amazing journey back home and then onto boozers in Glasgow

If we keep this winning run going 55 will be amazing

I won’t assume 55 is a certainty until they drop more points and we keep on winning

Feels similar to this season in a way. Although it was much closer back then there was always a feeling of not thinking it was done until it was done.

Even at the final whistle at Pittodrie I couldn't quite believe it until I was on the pitch.

Despite not being able to go to games and the unlikleihood of many being at games when we finally win it, I just know the feeling will surpass that of 87. Which is saying something.

Remember queuing up from 5 in the morning for tickets for Pittodrie.
£50.00 Season ticket for the EE.
All season ticket holders were getting a ticket anyway.
Still queued up anyway.

I was at Pittodrie. First title as an adult. Maybe that is why it is my favourite and i have been at every top title winning game since. 6/1 v Pars, Helicopter Sunday, winning it at the Paedo, 5/1 @ Killie and so on. Everyone special but 87 holds a special place for me.
I was offered bonkers money for my ticket on the day but nothing would have been enough to make me sell.
The amount of Bears in Pittodrie and those outside was phenomenal.
No mobiles, social mhedia in those days but word got round regards Falkirk beating them and it was a matter of waiting on that final whistle.
Let me just say: no army was stopping us going on at the whistle; and on we went from all corners.
It was a stunning spectacle. :))
I went on from the Beech end and left where we sit now.
Train journey back down was just one of drinking all the days events in. Not much chat tbh.
Went home to celebrate but never had a drop.
Emotionally exhausted.
We were back.

55 will beat it though. No one tried to kill us back then.

After 9 years in which we finished 3rd, 4th or even 5th as we did in 85/86 this was like a dream.
Souness & Walter arrive
Butcher & Woods sign. Englands captain & goalkeeper
Victory v Tims in LCF in which they had 9 booked and 1 sent off
Davie Coopers assist for Fleck v Tampere at Ibrox
Signing Roberts when trailing badly before Christmas
Victory on New Year day v Tims 2-0 led by the glorious bastard at his best.
SC defeat at Ibrox v Hamilton
Thousands of Rangers fans in the Celtic end at Parkhead in April
Butchers thumping header at Aberdeen to win league after Souness sent off.
Pitch invasion with grown men in tears.
Souness & Walter belting out the Billy Boys on lap of honour.
Best season ever.

I went to all but 2 games that season, home and away. Aged 17/18

It was surreal and kind of built momentum throughout the season. The game I always remember most is a midweek home game against Dundeecwhich we ended up winning 2-1 if memoty serves correctly. Cooper scored the winner.

That was the night I knew we were going to do it

One for the older bears.
During the 86/87 league campaign after 9 long years without the league, did it deal similar to this campaign? Unsure, pessimistic, excited, optimistic?
what can you remember, I’m confident but pessimistic this season, even though we’re 21 points ahead.
I was at Pittodrie (and on the pitch afterwards) when we finally win it. What a feeling!

This year feels exactly the same for me because we’d waited a similar amount of time to win it again as this time.

However, I feel less anxious this year because we have been so dominant whereas back in 86/87 the mentally challengeds ran us close right to the very end. Can’t see that happening this time, it’ll be wrapped I’m up in jig time.

We were so high at the start of the season i think we thought we could win it.
After the performance v Celtic in August when we won 1-0 we knew we were the best team in the country.
It was still a long haul though (44 league games).
Thought we would win every game as.it came but the defeat at Parkhead was a bit of a blow. I remember the Dundee game at Ibrox was really tense until we got a 2-0 win (thanks Jimmy Phillips) but after that just total excitement , cumulating at Pittodrie . I thought we were going to climch it at Ibrox the following week but Falkirk dumped the tims.
That wholw season was a buzz , remarkably similar to this one so far .

It was no cakewalk. We played some terrific football early on but were quite inconsistent and by the beginning of December 1986 we were behind by 9 points (only 2 points for a win then remember). Then it all clicked, especially when Graham Roberts arrived, and by the middle of January 1987 we were top. Even then it was still close until the last few weeks. It still remains one of my favourite seasons ever. My personal highlights:

1-0 and 2-0 wins over the scum, especially the New Year game which could and should have been 4.
2-0 over Aberdeen (we hadn't beaten them for more than 3 years)
5-2 away to Hearts the week after the Scottish Cup defeat to Hamilton Accies
3-1 away to St Mirren in front of a packed Love Street
3-0 at home to Hearts
Davie Cooper's fantastic solo goal in a draw at Tynecastle
Roberts' screamer at Fir Park
A draw with Hibs at Ibrox on a day when Rough in their goal was almost unbeatable. But the scum lost 4-1 to Dundee that day, we went top and never lost the lead again.
4-0 away to Dundee, on a night Tosh McKinlay will never forget the roasting he got!
The Skol Cup win over the scum
The winning of the title at Pittodrie and the release of 9 years of hurt when the final whistle went.

And there were many many more highlights. A great season.

Oddly I'd say our best football was played in the first hour of the game v Dundee United at Ibrox in August, a day we somehow contrived to toss away a 2-0 lead and lose.

When we won the skol cup, optimism went through the roof. Remember beating Motherwell with a late McCoist goal near the end of the season and Ibrox went berserk thinking we're going to do this.

I knew it was different the way we played v Utd when we threw away a two goal lead. Even on that day I thought we are really in this. Now I'd be hand wringing !

Yep, it's as well there was no social media then, just the radio phone-ins and the equivalent of the Hotline in the papers. We were brilliant for an hour that day, took our foot off the gas and lost the momentum. It's still unbelievable we lost that day.

It was no cakewalk. We played some terrific football early on but were quite inconsistent and by the beginning of December 1986 we were behind by 9 points (only 2 points for a win then remember). Then it all clicked, especially when Graham Roberts arrived, and by the middle of January 1987 we were top. Even then it was still close until the last few weeks. It still remains one of my favourite seasons ever. My personal highlights:

1-0 and 2-0 wins over the scum, especially the New Year game which could and should have been 4.
2-0 over Aberdeen (we hadn't beaten them for more than 3 years)
5-2 away to Hearts the week after the Scottish Cup defeat to Hamilton Accies
3-1 away to St Mirren in front of a packed Love Street
3-0 at home to Hearts
Davie Cooper's fantastic solo goal in a draw at Tynecastle
Roberts' screamer at Fir Park
A draw with Hibs at Ibrox on a day when Rough in their goal was almost unbeatable. But the scum lost 4-1 to Dundee that day, we went top and never lost the lead again.
4-0 away to Dundee, on a night Tosh McKinlay will never forget the roasting he got!
The Skol Cup win over the scum
The winning of the title at Pittodrie and the release of 9 years of hurt when the final whistle went.

And there were many many more highlights. A great season.

Oddly I'd say our best football was played in the first hour of the game v Dundee United at Ibrox in August, a day we somehow contrived to toss away a 2-0 lead and lose.
Brings back some great memories with friends who had went through the rough years but never stopped believing.
Agree with your final point. First 45 that day was on a different level to anything we had seen for a decade. Was it not Ian Redford who scored DUs winner.

Reactions: ao2
Brings back some great memories with friends who had went through the rough years but never stopped believing.
Agree with your final point. First 45 that day was on a different level to anything we had seen for a decade. Was it not Ian Redford who scored DUs winner.

I think it was mate. He definitely scored.

my team Renfrew star played Ferguslay Utd that day on the pitches at Glasgow airport opposite the runway - we won 2-0 we went back to Renfrew high school for a shower came back out to the car after shower and it was closing stages on the game up at piitodrie , on the car radio, listened to Clyde till it finished and found out Celtic has got beaten with Falkirk as well so we were champions , went home a happy young bear as wasn't into bevvying then :)

I was at Easter Road when we won in 75 but was only 10 and while being chuffed that we had won the league I didn't really understand what it meant.
Was at Pittodrie in 87 and totally understood and to this day I would have to pick that day as the best in my time, however, winning 55 will top that big time.
The day Graham Roberts made his debut in December 86 and we beat Dundee Utd 2-0 at Ibrox you had the feeling that momentum had swung our way and there was a real belief that it was happening. This year is just such huge stakes and with everything we have been through the last 10 years I'm trying to cool my jets even with the lead we have just now and will need the benefit of the summer to be able to look back objectively.

I went to all but 2 games that season, home and away. Aged 17/18

It was surreal and kind of built momentum throughout the season. The game I always remember most is a midweek home game against Dundeecwhich we ended up winning 2-1 if memoty serves correctly. Cooper scored the winner.

That was the night I knew we were going to do it
Was there not something with the winning goal that it took a delay to award it? I’m sure to do with someone not interfering with play.

Funnily enough for me, the big difference was how early I believed that season because of the quality of player we signed or youthful optimism. Even when we got off to slow start, you felt we would become unstoppable and as other's have said, when Roberts arrived, it felt like the deal was sealed. I think because of the last two seasons it has taken me longer to believe we are ready, but now I am certain we are. All I hope is that we get to win it on the park on a day they are playing too. I want to enjoy that Pittodrie Day all over again; up from Bristol to Glasgow to Aberdeen and back again, Rangers scarves flying as we passed Celtic buses all the way to Birmingham pretty much :) Happy Days. Might be even better on a plane ride from America :)

Feels similar to this season in a way. Although it was much closer back then there was always a feeling of not thinking it was done until it was done.

Even at the final whistle at Pittodrie I couldn't quite believe it until I was on the pitch.

Despite not being able to go to games and the unlikleihood of many being at games when we finally win it, I just know the feeling will surpass that of 87. Which is saying something.

I was in the Beach End that day and spent most of the second half looking at my watch and counting down the minutes. I actually felt sick as we were down to 10 men and they were pressing hard. We all believed they'd beat Falkirk at home that day so when the news came through with about 2 mins to go that they'd gone 2-1 down it was a massive weight lifted and the release was incredible. It's the one and only time I've ever taken part in a pitch invasion and yet I couldn't help myself. I remember clambering over the wall to get on the pitch and another Bear with studs on his boots stood on my hand and I didn't feel a thing (not the case later on, it was bloody painful and I had the stud marks to prove it!) and then pushing a policeman out of the way to get onto the pitch. But there was nothing malicious in it and it was just a brilliant day, up there with 1975 and Easter Road, and 2003 and 2005 for me. 55 will definitely top it though!

Last edited:
Brilliant memories of That Championship Season. Was 12 at the time and got to a good few home games and some away. Heartbroken when my Dad got let down for tickets for the last game of the season and trophy presentation. My wee mate who hadn’t been to a game all season was there with his Dad. Gutted

I knew it was different the way we played v Utd when we threw away a two goal lead. Even on that day I thought we are really in this. Now I'd be hand wringing !
Probably the strangest defeat I can ever remember . We pummelled a very good team, 2 nil up in the sunshine and lost !

But as you say, after the dross we had seen in previous years it did feel like we were on the right track even after this defeat.

Reactions: ao2
One of the best memories of the season. We were under huge pressure after losing to Hamilton the week before and the papers were full of comparisons with Berwick and would McCoist and Fleck meet the same fate as Forrest and McLean 20 years earlier. But what a statement of intent this win was at Tynecastle, in front of a packed ground:

Only An Excuse was a radio programme at the time and I still remember the immortal line;
-Rangers fans were high on the grass at Pittodrie

I remember before the league started that year - the league cup commenced. Went through to East Fife’s ground the day before to get tickets

Real buzz for the match. All our new talent and attitude. Ended up going to extra time and pens (I think) but even so you could just tell this was a different team that was going to compete.

It was a season of uncertainty and took us a wee bit to get going, felt it was going our way come March and the feeling was it was ours until we got beat at the piggery, that was a sore one and the doubt started to creep in. I couldn’t get a ticket for the Aberdeen game, the Cross Keys would do a draw for tickets on the Friday before the game and I remember sitting next to the phone waiting on a call from wee Bobby. My big mate was lucky enough to get drawn for a ticket and went up on the Cross Keys bus, I remember waiting at the cross for the bus arriving back after the game and walking down the road belting out the battle cries with my mate. The St Mirren game was a memory I won’t forget, Ibrox was bouncing and even if we had got hammered it would not have mattered a jot. I was well upset as I had a seat in the Copland rear and we could not get on the pitch to celebrate after the final whistle. The joy in the stadium that day was something else.

I was 13/14, going to most home games. Only thing i can remember is listing to game on radio. My grandparents being all happy watching the scenes feom Aberdeen on the tv. Terms off being excited ect. Child and now an adult . I would say yes. Took us later to het going. . We were not away ahead like we are now. The st mirren game was just a blaze . All i remember was loads off police around the pitch. We canny see fur the police being sung.

I was only 10 at the time so if I'm being honest I didn't really quite appreciate the achievement fully at the time. Having said that I do remember thinking that we were going to win the league after we won 4-0 away to Dundee.
Funnily enough I watched the highlights of the New Year game the other day and one of the sidebar videos was Falkirk winning 2-1 at the piggery. Decided to stick it on out of curiosity and %^*& me...the piggery was empty. Even they knew it was over. Even them getting a penalty for a foul outside the box couldn't stop them fucking it up. :)) :))
One last thing...Gordon Marshall was in goals for Falkirk that day. Can't be many players who have played for 3 different opposition teams involved when the tims have fucked the league.B-)B-D

I was only 10 at the time so if I'm being honest I didn't really quite appreciate the achievement fully at the time. Having said that I do remember thinking that we were going to win the league after we won 4-0 away to Dundee.
Funnily enough I watched the highlights of the New Year game the other day and one of the sidebar videos was Falkirk winning 2-1 at the piggery. Decided to stick it on out of curiosity and %^*& me...the piggery was empty. Even they knew it was over. Even them getting a penalty for a foul outside the box couldn't stop them fucking it up. :)) :))
One last thing...Gordon Marshall was in goals for Falkirk that day. Can't be many players who have played for 3 different opposition teams involved when the tims have fucked the league.B-)B-D
11238 of the greatest fans in the world attended.

More Rangers fans at Aberdeen that day

One for the older bears.
Having had a season ticket between 1981 to 84 when we were rank
I got a job down south in 1986
I celebrated us winning the league in a TV shop in Reading
All alone, but my heart was pumping
All through my secondary school days we had not even been close
I had been 12 in 1978 then 21 in 87

Was at every home game that season and most away games , but didn't get a ticket for Shittawdrey.
Could have travelled on the bus with the gamble of getting a ticket at the ground but thought 'no chance'
Turns out there were 'plenty' available !
:mad:

The biggest turning point of that season was beating Aberdeen 2-0 at home in September. They had been the best team in Scotland in the 80s and we couldn't get near them and despite beating Septic in August it was Aberdeen we needed to get in front to win the league.

Souness had fell out with Fergie at the Mexico WC and it was built up as a big grudge match but he scored and we tanned them in front of full house not long after the Dun U game where we threw away the 2 goal lead. Souness ran the show and it was obvious that the league was a possibility after 9 years of being also rans. Fergie knew the tide was running and left for Manure the next month.

The main thing I remember from that game was them getting about 6 corners in a row and Butcher and Woods clearing everything. Very similar to this year in that we then knew we had defence to keep clean sheets against good attacks and once Roberts arrived in December we never looked back. Dundee at home in midweek game April was the one that made me think we are going to do this and the game at Pittodrie was more of a relief with the icing on the cake the Falkirk win at Sharkheid which looked like Troon beach that day. Stopped near Forfar on way back for few pints and game of football in field opposite the pub next to A90 - great days and the young bears will have this feeling to look forward to in a couple of months.

I was only 5,marvelling at the tv and starting a Rangers scrapbook is my lot as far as memories go.

Loving reading everyones thoughts.

One observation to make is Davie Cooper. Reckon he scored about 8 goals that season, so important, but only about 3 were televised.

Few people have mentioned the Radio coverage from Pittodrie. Here it is

It remains my favourite title win having waited nine long years for it, the majority as also rans, but this will beat it, there’s no doubt in my mind.

Mate of mine was friendly with Willie Miller, and had arranged for us to pick up tickets at his pub in Aberdeen.(The Tappit Hen)
Picked up the tickets which were for the Aberdeen end. We concealed our colours on entering the ground, but once inside, found that the Aberdeen end was three quarters full of bears. A memorable day indeed.

Back