9 men league cup final win

Amstel

An achievement that gets overlooked. winning the league cup with only 9 men. one of my favourite moments in my 30 years of watching the bears. What's your memories of that day?

Hoping the best we would get was penalties and seeing novo up the other end of the pitch and the cross going in.

Couldn’t believe when we scored.

Thomson sent off when it was a yellow.
Thinking we were doomed when Wilson went too.
Walter on the touchline marshalling his troops.
Davie Weir stepping out of defence to set up the goal a la Beckenbaur.
The pigeon.
And going absolutely f***ine mental when we scored.

My main memory is sitting in North Stand watching the dugout opposite when Wilson got sent off. Ally was meant to be “managing” the cup games that season but Wattie was out on the touch line directing us to a shape that would eventually win us the game with a belter of a goal from Miller...
Was like, out of the way Ally, I’m taking over!
Walter won that cup for us that day with his organising...

An achievement that gets overlooked. winning the league cup with only 9 men. one of my favourite moments in my 30 years of watching the bears. What's your memories of that day?

Getting chucked out the house by the ex the night before (sleeping in the motor) and not being able to make the game.

Thankfully our/MY boy lives with me and is a season ticket holder now and understands him mums a lady's front bottom.:D

Sitting right behind the BBC Scotland commentary team in the South Upper hospitality.

Rheindhart was duly ripped a new arsehole and he looked physically sick when we scored.

Likewise Chico Young.

The Bears gave them it then some.

Watched this game in the house; when we scored I jumped up and cracked my head off the a corner on the ceiling and burst it open :D. Worth it.

I remember Miller telling a St Boo player, as Wilson was trudging off and the St Boo player was placing the ball, Miller said "We'll still win it."

A brilliant day. I spent the whole match hurling abuse at Dougie MacDonald only to realise when the officials were getting their medals it was Craig Thomson!

My memory is Craig Thomson giving a ridiculously biased refereeing performance and us coming through with Walter going absolutely mental the whole match in frustration/joy. Was a great day and we'll be there again soon.

Still one of my favourite games and I have been watching the bears for 40+ years.

As others have said hoped we could hold on and sneak a win on penalties. The atmosphere that day was superb.

Brilliant header by Miller and the pigeon wasnt too bad either.

Was my younger sons first final. When we were down to 9 men I was trying to console him that this would be their day but we would win other finals when we broke away and scored.
We both went mental. It seemed an eternity till the final whistle.

That team just never knew when they were beaten. We had so many leaders.

I was in the North stand & couldn't believe the way we broke out & scored with 9 men.

I also remember St Mirren completely shat it when we went down to 10/9 men, it looked like they thought 'fu.ck we're now the favourites' & the pressure was too much for them.

What a day & I absolutely love that Rangers team. So many good memories.

Absolutely great day . One of the best . Strange with hindsight to think how blasse I was going into a final just assumed we'd win easy . The way we won was fantastic . Shout out to the pigeon . Bust my mates nose when Miller scored in the bedlam ' 9 men we only need 9 men'

That game was the making of Steven Naismith as a Rangers player. He went on a cracking run of form after that.

My abiding memory was, you just few Kenny was going to score when he did and that was it. Everything went mental, what an achievement it was for our club, to win the League Cup with nine men.....

An achievement that does get overlooked to easily , but that must be down the the opposition in all honesty.

Everyone expected us to win, 9 men or not.......

How ridiculous was that......

Was living in Spain at the time and the only way I could listen was by phoning my dad on Skype and listening via that to what he was watching. You could just tell with the commentary that something was going to happen and I think I went a bit mental when it went in!

Like others have said, I was hoping for penalties until that breakout. Will never for get Miller's header or that pidgeon.

Rmbr reading after it that we were the only team ever to win any national cup final with 9 men. It's maybe ben equalled since don't know? But that's what makes us great. Even with 9 men & the biased ref in favour of St Boo they still couldn't beat us. One of of my favourite cup finals ever.

Watched this game in the house; when we scored I jumped up and cracked my head off the a corner on the ceiling and burst it open. :D. Worth it.

Was that your head or the ceiling (or both?);)

I understand your reaction. It was a very satisfying moment and the two ridiculous red cards ended up contributing to what was a memorable victory instead of a routine one.

Up there as one of my favourite games.

You just have to mention Walter's pigeon and it brings out a smile.

The pigeon...natch.
Everyone screaming at Naisy to cross the ball to Novo but he picked out Miller as we all know.
St Boo shitting at when they became the favourites and just lumped high balls in.
Finally...and I still feel for him and his lad.
We got talking to Ricky Gillies on the walk up to Hampden who was an ex St Boo player and bit of a legend for them
They went there with high hopes and he was a decent guy to chat with. we wished them luck and may the best team win etc.
We seem him and his lad after our trophy presentation...they must have stayed to watch it.
They both looked in shock tbh.
We have all been there so we left them to it.
Then we got pished in New Regent...which was nice.

Id love to have seen Thomson and Wilsons reaction when Miller headed that winner.....

Another blatant display of cheating by Craig Thomson

That folk still think Craig Thompson is only an " incompetent" ref is quite bizarre. The amount of times he's tried to deliberately fook us over is unbelievable. That pass out of defence from Davie Weir to Naismith to finally end up on Miller's head is superb.

People talk about a Rangers team of their Era. I grew up with the last 5 of 9iar. watching us get to a whiskers the European cup final. Trebled & Doubles. special European night's i would class that team of 9men cup final as my Era.
We are the fucking people

That folk still think Craig Thompson is only an " incompetent" ref is quite bizarre. The amount of times he's tried to deliberately fook us over is unbelievable. That pass out of defence from Davie Weir to Naismith to finally end up on Miller's head is superb.

Craig thinks Dundee United have scored! Hartley's tackle? A yellow card every day of the week.

I was at the game but had a previously arranged meeting at my St Mirren supporting mate's house. I went straight there after the game, proud as punch that nine men had won the cup and naively expected acknowledgement of such but he, and another Ayr Utd supporting mate who was also at his house, both told me St. Mirren had been robbed.
It was another one, in a line of countless others, of those occasions, when you realise that everyone else in Scotland despises us. Needless to say, I told them both to go %^*& themselves. If it had been the other way around, I'd have been congratulating him on winning against the odds, despite any personal disappointment.

I'd love to watch a replay of the full game and watch it unfold. There doesn't even appear to be highlights online. Never seen it on the Archive page on FB either.

Having a ticket for row A so we stood up the back and the police tried to move myself and the bearcub on. A kind lady steward found a couple of unused seats. The West stand went nuts when Millar scored.

Anyone have the highlights ? How bad were the red card decisions ? Don't remember Thomsons but in my memory was wilsons was a clear red ? Maybe wrong though . The result and way of victory is may even why I don't remember the injustice .

Anyone have the highlights ? How bad were the red card decisions ? Don't remember Thomsons but in my memory was wilsons was a clear red ? Maybe wrong though . The result and way of victory is may even why I don't remember the injustice .
Thought Wilson's red was a horrific decision at the game but watched it back later and thought the ref. got it right.

A terrible game that became memorable thanks to an arsehole ref. In a way however it was the spark we needed that day.

The pigeons role in the goal gets downplayed I think - made a great decoy flight to distract the St Mirren defender

Back