9 men league cup final win

Thomson sent off when it was a yellow.
Thinking we were doomed when Wilson went too.
Walter on the touchline marshalling his troops.
Davie Weir stepping out of defence to set up the goal a la Beckenbaur.
The pigeon.
And going absolutely f***ine mental when we scored.

Pretty much sums up my experience that day

Anyone have the highlights ? How bad were the red card decisions ? Don't remember Thomsons but in my memory was wilsons was a clear red ? Maybe wrong though . The result and way of victory is may even why I don't remember the injustice .

Thomson was himself on the receiving end of a similar challenge around 30 seconds before the challenge that saw him sent off. A competent (non-cheating) referee would have correctly booked the St Mirren player and diffused the situation.

Not saying Thommo was an angel but the non-foul played a part in him getting a red. Also got a bizarre red earlier that season at Tynecastle.... funnily enough, it was the same ref that day too

We become the first ever team to win a domestic final after having 2 players sent off. Literally in 150+ years of football no other team has achieved what we did that night.

Pzr8oSK.jpg

rot7k4h.jpg

SPIOd0Y.jpg

tAMPxjG.jpg

My memory is Craig Thomson giving a ridiculously biased refereeing performance and us coming through with Walter going absolutely mental the whole match in frustration/joy. Was a great day and we'll be there again soon.

Funnily enough, in all seriousness, Thomson is reckoned to be a St.Boo fan!

I had to keep texting a few mates on their way back up from England, Aintree or Cheltenham or something along those lines.

Me "Not playing well, still 0-0"
Reply .... not to worry.

Me "Kevin Thomson sent off."

Reply ..... fecks sake, never mind, we can win it with ten.

Me "Danny Wilson sent off, down to nine men."

Reply ..... WTF is going on?

Me "1-0."

Reply ... aw feck.

Me "that's how we're champions"

Reply.... non typeable.

Was behind the goal, completely lost my shit hugging my mate and fell over.

The feeling of defiance against all odds that day still gives me goosebumps

Thompson trying to win them the cup but the good guys prevailed.

Happy days but just a taster to the odds we're up against now.

Like many on here just hoping we'd hold out for pens after we went down to 9, but that's why we are the famous Glasgow Rangers. Another proud day to be a bear. Is there another team in the world that could win a cup final with 9 men?

Hospitality at the game - all others were Rangers haters, no St Boo fans. They were ecstatic when we went down to 9.
Millers finish is one of my favourite Rangers goals, what a header.....

First final with my boy. A bittersweet day as after the game ( he was ten ) we returned to the news his grand father had passed away. Think he was too young to fully get it though.

Pulled a muscle in my shoulder celebrating the goal, couldn't sleep for more than an hour without waking up in agony for a week. Good times.

I was 4 rows up opposite the camera, had a raging argument with my mate about getting Boyd off when we went to 10 men.

30 mins later it was all forgotten about!

Craig Thomson rightly given dogs abuse as he went up to collect his medal. Cheating bastard.

McCoist standing trackside looking bewildered as to what to do when we went down to 9 men ..... Walter steps in, gets them organised and the rest is history.

Wilson was never red, it has to be `clear` goalscoring opportunity, he wasn`t in box and there were covering players.

Walter on the touchline, epitomised everything about him. My dad always used to say that when he was on the touchline the players played better, that day proved to be a great final.

Even at 9 men i never thought we'd lose.

Remember being at hearts where we won 2-1 when Thomson got sent off in the first 5 mins. That was some game.

Sir Walter produced the finest managerial display I have ever seen that day. Him on the touchline was like an extra man on the pitch and I'm sure the players were aware of his presence.

I remember Naismith coming on and thinking Walter had made the wrong decision, was absolutely delighted to be wrong.

A huge high when we scored and then held on for 10 minutes to win it.

The noise when Miller's header went in!

The entire support singing "nine men, we only need nine men" with gusto.

A great day out.

If you ever needed proof just how good a manager Sir Walter is, that game shows it. Took a bewildered McCoist aside and took charge

I went all Mystic Meg that day. Had a dream the night before about Miller scoring the only goal right at the end. Nothing warning me about sending off mind you.
I put the line on at the bookies and basically got my ticket and beers paid for. I've never put a bet on since.

“It was probably one of the first times I heard them sing my name since I came back,” said Miller.

“It gave me goosebumps to be honest and it confirmed that I have maybe been accepted, so I am over the moon."

Sleeping in missing the bus and ticket. Had to watch in a pub on new street in paisley. Getting it tight off of st mirren fans who thought the cup was won.

How i never got my lady's front bottom kicked in when Miller scored Ill never know, i was absolutely wankered and had to get it right up every single one of them.

9 mennnnn. We only need 9 men.

Still remember the smoking shelter in Viennas that night. We won with 9 men we won with 9 men %^*& off st mirren we won with 9 men.

Fucking hate St Mirren. Every fan is a 19th Century Terrorist sympathiser.

The pigeon...natch.
Everyone screaming at Naisy to cross the ball to Novo but he picked out Miller as we all know.
St Boo shitting at when they became the favourites and just lumped high balls in.
Finally...and I still feel for him and his lad.
We got talking to Ricky Gillies on the walk up to Hampden who was an ex St Boo player and bit of a legend for them
They went there with high hopes and he was a decent guy to chat with. we wished them luck and may the best team win etc.
We seem him and his lad after our trophy presentation...they must have stayed to watch it.
They both looked in shock tbh.
We have all been there so we left them to it.
Then we got pished in New Regent...which was nice.

I come from Paisley and the entire town was in shock. Well the St Mirren third of it.

I have loads of St Miŕren supporting mates and I did not even give them text wind ups in case I pushed one of them over the edge.

The whole of The Rangers fans belting out...

"nine men you couldnae beat 9 men"
"you couldnae beat 9 men"
"you couldnae beat 9 men"

Must admit Thomson done well that day, to hold the tears back and not start greetin on live tv could not have been easy. Ive never seen an official look so sad at ft.

2 reds in a cup final he must have been annoyed he didnt get the chance to award one of the outrageous penalty kicks he gives against Rangers(or to the tims) when games are not going to plan.

It was vintage walter though 12 v 9 and he still gets hands on the cup, a legend and a top class manager.

It is up there as one of my all time favourite Gers games and I've seen a lot, I was at the game as well and to win with 9 men is quite special as is enjoying a septic fan telling me through gritted teeth and very grudgingly he couldn't believe what was he was seeing on the tv and I quote "only you b@stards could've won with 9 men" ahh the joy!

We were in the North Stand that day in a seat that was about 12 or so rows from the front. Didn’t get a great view of either sending off at the time which were over to the South Stand side.

I felt quite confident with 10 men but when Wilson went off I had a sinking feeling. However that performance epitomises a Walter Smith team.

We did have a great view of the build up to the goal and cross which looked as if it was inch perfect onto Kenny Miller’s napper. Derek Johnstone in his pomp would have been proud of that header.

As an aside Walter Pidgeon was a Canadian actor in the 1950’s. His role at Hampden in the build up to the goal was worthy of an Oscar.

Was at Hampden with my son that day. I honestly believe St Mirren played better against 11. Thompson's refereeing was abysmal as usual. Winning the cup with 9 men was an outstanding achievement that we've never really been given the credit we deserve.

I remember going nuts at the red cards and was nearly ejected from the stadium. Utter bedlam when the goal went in, bodies everywhere

Ended up in the corona after the game with my bro and a few mates. Sloop john b on repeat on the jukebox and I remember a few boys in there with Walter smith masks.

What a day/night. Was absolutely dying the next day but worth every minute.

What a match and what emotions - from despondency to euphoria in the blink of an eye. It's games and memories like that which make our club special.
P.S. That pigeon had the heart of an eagle; hope it's still around telling the story to it's mates and sh1tting on the mhanky fans' hovels.

My main memory is sitting in North Stand watching the dugout opposite when Wilson got sent off. Ally was meant to be “managing” the cup games that season but Wattie was out on the touch line directing us to a shape that would eventually win us the game with a belter of a goal from Miller...
Was like, out of the way Ally, I’m taking over!
Walter won that cup for us that day with his organising...
Smith took over every cup game McCoist was meant to be running because it was a cluster.

He was a shambles of an assistant that should never have got the job in the first place.

Back