A better win than we will get credit for

Just like when they said we'd get zero points in the group last year, come Christmas they were all sides "past their best." Porto had been in the Champions League quarter finals 6 months previous, and Young Boys were unbeaten at home in over year which included Juventus.
Tonight, we beat a very decent team 4-0 away from home, without key players and didn't even play to our max imo. As they say, ignore the irrelevant noise etc etc

We were shaky at the start but we do deserve praise for that regardless of opposition to go over to Holland and score 4, I don’t believe they’re a very good team tho an average team I’d say and that’s not taking anything away from our result as it was superb

There have been a ew Euro games we have given the other team a lot of the ball and a few chances in the early stages. It's as if we sit back a bit and wait to see what they are going to do. Porto at Ibrox is the one that sticks out.

Daily Record saying “the game could have gone either way” and it wasn’t a 4-0 game and far from dominant

haha!

We did lord it over them eventually but that team were more than capable of doing us some damage.
I said in another thread that I thought they were actually a better team than Hibs but decent honest refereeing made all the difference.
The refereeing didn't even need to come into it. We were clinical with our finishing and didn't let up with the press. There were still some mistakes with slack passing or folk being caught a wee bit out of possession, but the players worked as a team and dug each other out.

Massive improvement from the hibs game. I'm buzzing. Wasn't sure what type of performance we would see after the weekends poor show. Delighted with the response.

Totally agree - they were a very capable side. First 20 mins I was thinking this is going to be really tight. Even at 2-0 they were still very much in the tie.
Better footballing side than Aberdeen or Hibs.
My 5 a side gang of donkeys play better football than those 2 shower of carthorses

We were clinical they were not

Think that’s the long and short of it

Yeah, we were very lucky to go in 2-0 ahead at half time. They made critical errors at the back, and missed great chances, whilst we were more solid (for the most part aided by excellent goalkeeping too) and but for a couple of chances missed took the chances that were given to us.

I hope we learn from this. Football is about capitalising on the key moments, we did that well tonight and got a result that flattered the overall performance, see SG "it was not a 4-0 game". We need to be like that more often rather than be on the other end of it.

Make no mistake, Willem II are a very good team. Not that you'll see that being reported anywhere in this country

The scoreline makes it look like a walk in the park but it was anything but. Special saves at crucial times from McGregor gave us the platform, along with Ryan Kent being on a different level from anyone else on the park.

How refreshing it was to play against a team who were not interested in kicking us off the park.
I reckon they would easily be in the top 3 in Scotland.

Well done Rangers, very clinical and a classic Euro away performance.
Excellent post which I totally agree with.

Absolutely, one of the best results a Scottish side has achieved, but I just know that the Beggars will get the bulk of the headlines, as obviously, there were a few folk in the journalistic profession fearing the worst.

We, on the other hand, know who carried the Scottish flag higher.

Daily Record saying “the game could have gone either way” and it wasn’t a 4-0 game and far from dominant

haha!
The guy that hit the bar should have scored to put them one up then they had great chances either side of halftime to score so any of them go in its a different game. You can't just ignore these vital points in a game and pretend they didn't happen, lots of posters agreeing with the DR view. Bottom line we are through and if we are slack against the Turks we might not get away with it.

I don’t think they were a great side. Tidy On the ball but look naive at that level you could tell we were much more experienced. They also Lost 2-0 Herenveen last week , but 4-0 away in Europe is a great score against anyone.

The BBC report on our game paints a positive picture of out performance - more so than a fair few posters on here are doing. Their report on the mhanks game is fairly critical of them.

You know we’re not going to get the credit we deserve for beating a solid Dutch team 4-0 away from home, when Celtic scraping through against a pub team from Latvia is the top story on the BBC Scotland sport website. :))

Anyone any idea what the Dutch press are saying about the match?I’d listen to a Dutchman before I’d listen to these tadgers and their biased opinions.

Daily Record today will be trying to punt Ryan Kent to Leeds
Aye on the cheap.I will say £8 million as a starting price.All he’s worth dontyaknow.
Meanwhile over at the chamber of secrets Ayer is now worth a couple of billion.Messi is staying at Barca cause he’s going there. :rolleyes:

We did lord it over them eventually but that team were more than capable of doing us some damage.
I said in another thread that I thought they were actually a better team than Hibs but decent honest refereeing made all the difference.
Hibs can play physical to make up for their lack of ability because they are allowed to get away with it by either sub-standard or cheating officials. In terms of skill there is no contest between last night's opponents and Hibs.

A great result.

Beating any team from one of the proper European leagues by 4 goals away is a tremendous achievement.

People belittling this effort should remember some of the so-called minnows that have put us to the sword in Europe down the years.

The worst of all being Progres.

A cracking result, against a very good attacking side away from home in a one leg match, many Rangers teams of the past (even good ones) might have faltered there we've certainly lost to much poorer sides over two legs. That was a hugely dangerous tie for us, just like midtyland, a result for which we also didn't get due credit for. We seem to get much tougher draws than certain other teams. Galatasaray will be another tough one, if imagine they'll be a very streetwise outfit.

We used to go and play proper shite teams and lose. This was a regular occurrence even through our best domestic days and a lot of our history.

To go away in Europe and score 4 goals anywhere is excellent never mind in Holland.

The media will play it down the way they always do when comes to us but this is one of the best results ever for a scottish team in Europe.

Our attack when given space is frightening the mentally challengeds will walk into a drubbing of us sooner rather than later a season changing drubbing

Back