A big difference in our play tonight - midfield runners

DocStone

Administrator
Staff member
One thing that stood out for me was for almost the first time this season we actually had our midfielders making late runs when we had possession of the ball near the oppositions 18 yard box. Whether it was Dorrans, or Pena, or Holt - there was always one making a direct run pulling away defenders and creating space.

It's telling that all three of our goals came from a midfielder making either a late run (Dorrans) or doubling up leaving the opposition with two men to mark (Pena x2).

Tonight I finally think we are seeing what Pedro is trying to do with the team, the quick transitions, the midfield runs, the fight and desire very player on that park showed tonight.

Looking forward to seeing it developing even more over the next few months.

I was petrified about losing Jack. It forced us to play a different way and although it probably invites a lot more pressure, to be honest we looked more dangerous when attacking at pace.

It still doesn't make me want him out the team though :D

One thing that stood out for me was for almost the first time this season we actually had our midfielders making late runs when we had possession of the ball near the oppositions 18 yard box. Whether it was Dorrans, or Pena, or Holt - there was always one making a direct run pulling away defenders and creating space.

It's telling that all three of our goals came from a midfielder making either a late run (Dorrans) or doubling up leaving the opposition with two men to mark (Pena x2).

Tonight I finally think we are seeing what Pedro is trying to do with the team, the quick transitions, the midfield runs, the fight and desire very player on that park showed tonight.

Looking forward to seeing it developing even more over the next few months.
Totally agree with all of that. Let's hope it is the start of something

Something I enjoyed was how we were cynical in the traditions from us attacking to them, how many times did one of our players just take one of them out while they were countering, it was great to see a ruthless streak in us.

It was never going to happen overnight - we had to change our entire "footballing philosophy" from last season - but sadly our support just doesn't seem to have the patience to see it through. We will have up times and down times, but progression is being made, and it is slowy beginning to show itself on the park.

It was never going to happen overnight - we had to change our entire "footballing philosophy" from last season - but sadly our support just doesn't seem to have the patience to see it through. We will have up times and down times, but progression is being made, and it is slowy beginning to show itself on the park.

I'm of the same opinion I believe the manager needs time, clear improvements for me since he signed his own players, needs to also be an understanding that while his budget may appear large for Scotland its not that massive a budget to change around a near first 11.

I'm of the same opinion I believe the manager needs time, clear improvements for me since he signed his own players, needs to also be an understanding that while his budget may appear large for Scotland its not that massive a budget to change around a near first 11.

Anyone still denying that we've improved now are simply talking sh!te

Last edited:
There’s another thread on Pena but for me, he looked the most notable difference in this regard. At one point in the first half, he played the ball out to the left with the outside of his left boot, then the speed in which he got himself into the box and made space to get himself into a goal scoring position is something we’ve missed for a long while. He’s showing signs of why he’s been capped numerous times by Mexico. The technique is there, and once he adapts more there’ll be some humble pie.

I like Holt - an intelligent player that spots the space before the thought of the pass enters his team mates mind. Always think of him as a miniature Lee Wallace with his industry and ceaseless work-rate, in relation to the thread heading that is.

Yes a big improvement in skills and finishing but any reasonable team will score against us we leave huge gaps at the back,pace is our weakness.

When your striker doesnt score its up to the midfielders to step up and from the goals they certainly did!
Dorrans run is one of the most dangerous, last man in the box will always get a shot off.

Penas second goal we had 3 men all in the box available to attack the cross. Pena, Morelos and Candieas all with good movement and pulling defenders out of position.

Under MW we would be lucky to have had one player in the box with the ball in that position.

I thought Dorrans covered Holt's arse the whole night.

Holt work hard but looks and plays like a wee boy.
Very true Holt will never be good enough, an honest trier but ultimately not good enough for where we aspire to be.

Very true Holt will never be good enough, an honest trier but ultimately not good enough for where we aspire to be.
Agree, but IMO this applies to most of the current squad. I doubt any one of them will win the SPL with Rangers.
If they apply themselves like tonight throughout the season, they will be clear of the other also rans, and at best within 10 points of the mhankies

Interesting take on the performance of the midfielders, or at least the two who played v the Scum. How do we think those two, Dorrans and Pena played against the Scum?

Interesting take on the performance of the midfielders, or at least the two who played v the Scum. How do we think those two, Dorrans and Pena played against the Scum?
Really tough shift for both.
Pena still adjusting to the pace of the game, Jack and Dorrans struggling to contain Rogic and Armstrongs movement

Windass was woeful off the ball and a man down

Really tough shift for both.
Pena still adjusting to the pace of the game, Jack and Dorrans struggling to contain Rogic and Armstrongs movement

Windass was woeful off the ball and a man down

Did you actually read my post? Especially the first and last lines?

Spot on OP. One up front only works when the midfield 3-5 get up and go beyond the front man. Very pleasing last night. I though the character and attacking flair we showed in both of our last two games suggests that we might indeed be arriving as a team at last.

Back