A bit of perspective

All things considered, it was a good run in Europe. Remember that we are a club who has been in the wilderness for the best part of a decade and some of our players have never tasted European football before - we will be better placed next season that much I am sure of.

We played some alright football yesterday, a bit sloppy at times but the pitch was awful and Rapid Vienna were the same.

I am total faith in Stevie G but there are two things he needs to sort out...

Katic back in the middle with Goldson
&
Creative midfielder to break teams down as everything we do is in front of the opposition

WATP

All things considered, it was a good run in Europe. Remember that we are a club who has been in the wilderness for the best part of a decade and some of our players have never tasted European football before - we will be better placed next season that much I am sure of.

We played some alright football yesterday, a bit sloppy at times but the pitch was awful and Rapid Vienna were the same.

I am total faith in Stevie G but there are two things he needs to sort out...

Katic back in the middle with Goldson
&
Creative midfielder to break teams down as everything we do is in front of the opposition

WATP

Mate your coming out with common sense when some are on a feeding frenzy of hate,and that will never do.

We have got in Europe the maximum result we could have with that bunch of players. It’s something to build on and that’s what we now need to do.

love your optimism and agree with all you have said, but no denying we should have and could have won that last night, as poor as the team have been we are still better than Rapid

Was a good run fir sure have absolute zero complaints sbd tge team will be all the better for the experiance.. i would like to think the board will see what is required to take us to the next level and Stevie G is the man to take us there.. cull the dead wood bring in better quality signings the future is looking good !!

WATP !!

p.s ejaria is a puzzy !

love your optimism and agree with all you have said, but no denying we should have and could have won that last night, as poor as the team have been we are still better than Rapid

Good to see you’ve sobered up and/or got out of the right so of the bed

beat by Livingston, we need a bit of perspective, will be good for the rest of the season.
Embarrassed by Celtic, 1 going on 5, bit of perspective, we just qualified for Europe and were tired.
Beat by Aberdeen, bit of perspective we are near top of league and still in Europe with chance to qualify
Beat by Dundee with no show on display, but of perspective as still in Europe and those moaning won't be if we beat Vienna.

I'll wait for the perspective post after Wednesday night. Hope we don't have one, though after every defeat there is always a bit of perspective.

The bottom line is that we’ve had only one window to build a new team with, so where we are - 2nd in the league two points behind the Yahoos (albeit they have a game in hand) and within 90 mins of a place in the knockout stages of the Europa League still represents a very encouraging start to the season.

What is painfully evident however is that we desperately lack 2 or 3 players of a quality above anything we currently have at the club (with the possible exception of Morelos), midfielders mainly, guys with the ability to take a game by the balls and drive the whole team forward.

Davis looks like a reasonable addition for the January window when I think we’ll add another striker too, but we also need players like Barisic, Grezda and Rossiter to have more impact in the second half of the season because I doubt we’ll add the quality we lack until next summer at the earliest.

We’re moving in the right direction; we just need to start adding meat to the bones.

It was a good run in Europe. I was proud of the team for qualifying and was just hoping we wouldn't get embarrassed in the group stages. We didn't but in hindsight I would say we were the second best team in that group although that is not saying much!

Three things cost us:

1) We lacked a bit of quality in midfield and the wings to break teams down.
2) Managerial decisions whether it was how we set the team up or what subs were used to change the game. Albeit SG was hindered by point 1.
3) A bit of luck! If we had the rub of the green we could have taken 4 points against Spartak and three last night.

We can feel proud for reaching the group stages (especially after last year) but at the same time disappointed at the missed opportunity of reaching the last 32.

Back