A Bit Worried about Midfield

Halliday isn’t good enough in midfield. Edmundson has had one 20 minute cameo there and Polster can’t be much more. Arfield blows hot and cold. I’d want one more in, preferably someone with a decent shot on them.

Someone who will never get in to the 18 though. Guys like Doc haven't made a squad all season.

It’s a tough one because any players we bring in during this window are simply going to be back up - not sure how many players of decent quality would move just to sit on the bench.

I can’t really see us bringing anyone in.

Someone who will never get in to the 18 though. Guys like Doc haven't made a squad all season.
If it’s a loan guy from England, particularly if he’s not in the 30 plus bracket, he might have something to prove and push the first 18 harder.

I think we're fine for numbers in the midfield, a striker is a more pressing concern for me

Davis doesn't play and Jack becomes the centre of the 3, Arfield slots in at the right, same with Kamara on the left with Aribo.

Those 5 can mix and match if required.

Not worried at all about it. Jack, Davis, Kamara, Aribo, Arfield can all play there. Gerrard also subbed Edmundson on at midfield before as well so in event of emergency that could be a option. Davis and Jack have had injuries this season and that still didn't see Docherty or King get close to playing

When is the last time Docherty was even on the bench? He’s not a factor is these discussions.

Polster even a preferred option - see Fir Park.

I understand your concerns Camby loyalist, and it certainly is a long second half of the season when a build up of games, poor weather conditions, injuries and suspensions could leave us short in certain areas of the team.
As we rely so heavily on quality in midfield I worry about bringing in some of the names mentioned above as I think players like Halliday, Polster and Edmundson would leave us very vulnerable in the system we play.
Saying that, I am certain that all decisions have been carefully considered and look forward to seeing how we meet the challenges this season throws at us.... and I have a sneaky suspicion that we may see a new face coming in that makes some of these decisions more clear.
Brilliant post mate, summed up exactly what I meant.

A loan towards the end of the window is looking likely, makes the Andy King thing all the more odd. You would have thought he’d have been ideal.

The simple fact of the matter is that Docherty and any others who have left were struggling to even make the match-day squad or the bench, let alone get time on the pitch. Their departure hasn't made a jot of difference because none of them were in Gerrard's thinking in any case.
The point being, they weren’t needed as we hadn’t suffered major injuries or suspensions earlier in the season.
However having the necessary cover in the second half of the season might become critical if we are hit with injuries

The manager quite clearly said if anyone else goes out we will bring someone in so if Doc goes a Midfielder will come in for sure.

The point being, they weren’t needed as we hadn’t suffered major injuries or suspensions earlier in the season.
However having the necessary cover in the second half of the season might become critical if we are hit with injuries

Yet they weren't even making the matchday squad in most cases. So Gerrard didn't even have them in his thinking. I'd argue that they were so far out the picture that an injury or a suspension, even a couple, would have seen the promoted - at best - to the bench. They were, effectively, fourth, fifth or worse choice for a starting slot.

Now before the usual lot shout me down, hear me out! Now if Docherty goes on loan which looks very likely I feel we are an injury or suspension from very limited in Midfield, if anything happens to Jack Kamara or Davis we are fecked. Davis can't play every single game also suspensions as the season goes on. I think we need one or two in?

Thoughts??

Arfield is the natural cover and Aribo in an emergency.

Davis missed Fir Park, Easter Rd and the LC Final.

Our midfield was outstanding in all those games.

I agree though, if 2 of Jack, Davis, Kamara and Arfield are out, then we are weaker.

Having said that, if the mentally challengeds lost Brown and McGregor then it's game over.

It’s a fair enough (minor) concern. We are 2 injuries away from having Aribo dropping back into the 3. Not only is he pretty ineffective there, it would take him away from a position where he has excelled.

Now before the usual lot shout me down, hear me out! Now if Docherty goes on loan which looks very likely I feel we are an injury or suspension from very limited in Midfield, if anything happens to Jack Kamara or Davis we are fecked. Davis can't play every single game also suspensions as the season goes on. I think we need one or two in?

Thoughts??
Edmunson and Polster are decent back up.

Thoughts??

The gaffer said in the press conference he’ll need to replace anymore that leave.

Edmundson can step into the CDM role.
Arfield can easily play in CM as can Aribo, not his best position but to most of the cannon fodder we play it won't be that big a problem.
There's a reason we are trimming the squad.

Recall mccrorie for 55! Can cover cd, rb, cm and bring in a youngish striker like Nisbet or Shankland. We do this every year I can remember! Suspensions and injuries will catch up with us at some point. We need cover

My concern is that if Aribo is part of a front three and Davis gets injured, there isn’t a lot of creativity from the middle of the park to unlock the parked buses we’ll encounter in most games till the end of the season

Think were decent enough covered. To win leagues you always need luck where injuries and suspensions are concerned

I don think we will bring someone in, either on loan or for a nominal fee, exactyy for the reasons stated in the OP. we are a bit of bad luck, or the usual card happy refs away from being caught short.
saying that we have:
Jack
Davis
Kamara
Arfield
Aribo
Halliday at a push

Recall mccrorie for 55! Can cover cd, rb, cm and bring in a youngish striker like Nisbet or Shankland. We do this every year I can remember! Suspensions and injuries will catch up with us at some point. We need cover
Agree with this fully, although this is a very unpopular idea. Said it for weeks now, the boy nisbet we would get for peanuts and mccrorie is a no brainer, gives us another CB/CDM. Dont think we NEED as such much else, apart from letting go of brandon barker.

midfield is the least of our worries !

LB/RB and CF are far more of a problem if we suffer injuries

I don't see why RB is a concern. We have Tav, Flannagan and Patterson. A back-up player is usually back-up for a reason - too young or too sh.it more often than not. Imo we are not bringing in a better back-up for Tav than the ones we already have.

I tend to agree with the OP. It's not outside the realms of possibility that we get a combination of injuries, illnes or suspensions to put the main three out. Whether that's keeping Doc in the fold or bringing somebody in i'm not so sure.

I thought gerrard said if any more went out he would have to look to recruit. Kamara, jack, davis, arfield, aribo, stewart?, edmundson and polster before we get into youth is decent strength although bit of a drop in quality

I predict we’ll bring in 3 players.
A loan defender
Campbell
And we’ll spend a few million on a midfielder
Do you think? Fair play if we do.

Just don’t see us bringing in a midfielder for a few million, a loan if anything. A loan defender is possible with Helander being out for a while. Campbell i only see signing in summer as a pre contract.

Davis, Jack, Kamara, Aribo, Arfield, Halliday, Polster, Edmundson if needed

that’s 8 players not counting youth players
Who can all easily cover the majority of SPL games

Said the same as the OP in previous threads. I think we need another central midfielder and going by previous windows, I think Gerrard will want quality cover in.

I don think we will bring someone in, either on loan or for a nominal fee, exactyy for the reasons stated in the OP. we are a bit of bad luck, or the usual card happy refs away from being caught short.
saying that we have:
Jack
Davis
Kamara
Arfield
Aribo
Halliday at a push

And Polster

Outwith the main 5 midfielders my next choice would be Mcrorie. Polster has shown ability in his short appearances, particularly his range of passing however I still don't know enough about him based on how limited his game time has been. If he was showing it in training I presume he would have had more game time, even more time in the bench rather than missing the squad.

Latest posts

Back