A book of thanks for Dave King

Northampton_Loyalist

Quite a while ago I had the idea of getting a book printed with messages of thanks from FF members to be given to Dave King to mark the gratitude we hold for his actions in orchestrating the saving of our club. It in no way overlooks or plays down the appreciation for other absolute hero's, but his stepping down as Chairman was a thing I, and you, felt should be marked in some way.

Covid and a few personal issues delayed it, however I managed to rope in a remarkable person to help and basically pass all the difficult bits on to. @Scarlett took all of your messages, my scribblings and a couple of longer pieces and formatted them, edited and spell checked them, then organised the printing of those messages into a beautiful book that is now ready to be handed to the man. The amount of work she has put into it cannot be underestimated and in truth, she is the sole reason it has finally been completed.

I Emailed the SLO on Monday and have been trying to phone him all week, as well as having left a message on here but have had no joy getting a reply so I am now looking at ways of being able to hand the book over that do not involve the club facilitating things. I imaging Greg has a whole load of work on his plate and a gift to be handed over to Dave King potentially does not rank too high so think it is probably best if I look for another route. If anyone can help in that regard, I would be very appreciative!

Quite a while ago I had the idea of getting a book printed with messages of thanks from FF members to be given to Dave King to mark the gratitude we hold for his actions in orchestrating the saving of our club. It in no way overlooks or plays down the appreciation for other absolute hero's, but his stepping down as Chairman was a thing I, and you, felt should be marked in some way.

Covid and a few personal issues delayed it, however I managed to rope in a remarkable person to help and basically pass all the difficult bits on to. @Scarlett took all of your messages, my scribblings and a couple of longer pieces and formatted them, edited and spell checked them, then organised the printing of those messages into a beautiful book that is now ready to be handed to the man. The amount of work she has put into it cannot be underestimated and in truth, she is the sole reason it has finally been completed.

I Emailed the SLO on Monday and have been trying to phone him all week, as well as having left a message on here but have had no joy getting a reply so I am now looking at ways of being able to hand the book over that do not involve the club facilitating things. I imaging Greg has a whole load of work on his plate and a gift to be handed over to Dave King potentially does not rank too high so think it is probably best if I look for another route. If anyone can help in that regard, I would be very appreciative!

Outstanding

Fantastic work! Really impressed! I am sure Dave King will appreciate it greatly.

Out of interest, how many messages are contained in the book?

I remember the original thread. I contributed a message, as I’m sure many did.

That is superb but nobody should ever forget the others. Letham, Taylor, Bennett,Park,Paul Murray, Gilligan to name a few. They all did there bit and deserve all the praise and credit Dave King will receive. They didnt have to do it and they knew they wouldnt receive the praise King does.

This will mean the world to Dave King, some humble honest thanks from the rank and file will add a realism after all the corporate insincere hand shakes in his business life.
Nice one mate.
That was genuinely the thought behind it. There is literally nothing in the world I could buy him that he could not buy several million times over. Nobody in the book is angling for a deal. Nobody will even meet the man. It is just genuine words from genuine people that very nearly lost something more valuable to them than an arm or leg and that he helped to preserve.

That is superb but nobody should ever forget the others. Letham, Taylor, Bennett,Park,Paul Murray, Gilligan to name a few. They all did there bit and deserve all the praise and credit Dave King will receive. They didnt have to do it and they knew they wouldnt receive the praise King does.
I was very mindful of it. The book idea came about when he was stepping down as Chair and it was initially designed to tie in with that. It is in no way meant to play down the role others had in those days and if someone else would like to create a fitting tribute to the others, I would happily contribute. This was something I felt should be done and it was in no way meant to overshadow the contributions of others.

That was genuinely the thought behind it. There is literally nothing in the world I could buy him that he could not buy several million times over. Nobody in the book is angling for a deal. Nobody will even meet the man. It is just genuine words from genuine people that very nearly lost something more valuable to them than an arm or leg and that he helped to preserve.
Every single person likes a gift that has been thought about and personalised, that was a nice touch born from idea (prob after a beer) to the finished article.

Great work @Northampton_Loyalist and @Scarlett - type of thing that will maybe end up in museum.

I know that if I was king I’d be incredibly moved by this and be in bits (he may be tougher than me though!)

it would be nice to maybe do something for the others too and not forgetting sons of struth

Well done mate!

Does anyone ever get a reply from SLO.
Great effort though and I hope it goes well

Does anyone ever get a reply from SLO.
Great effort though and I hope it goes well
To be fair, I have now had a reply.

I think it is fair enough tbh. He is one man, there are hundreds of thousands of fans, we had a midweek game, a game today and he will obviously have had a good bit of work on. I think he saw this, went through his Emails and found mine. Delighted that he found it! Hopefully the club can help with this now.

Back