A centre forward

Right Roofe got what 4-5 minutes? And twice got in behind them. His movement to bend runs, and work the space and move the defender to get the space was light years ahead of what we watched for 115 minutes beforehand.

If he was fit to give 30 he should have got the whole ET and we would have won that IMO.

Right Roofe got what 4-5 minutes? And twice got in behind them. His movement to bend runs, and work the space and move the defender to get the space was light years ahead of what we watched for 115 minutes beforehand.

If he was fit to give 30 he should have got the whole ET and we would have won that IMO.
We just dont know if he would have lasted 30 mins, or else I am sure he would have been on.

It was very obvious tonight we badly missed having a fit Alfie or Roofe to lead the line. Given we've had to do without both in recent weeks what the team achieved was remarkable. I'm convinced we'd have won had either been fit. Roofe has to play on Saturday if fit.

Roofe isnt fit to play the full game on Saturday. His leg was heavily strapped. He did well enough for the short period he was on the park - his positional sense was there - but I'm not sure he's even remotely fit enough.

Itten should start on saturday.

We just dont know if he would have lasted 30 mins, or else I am sure he would have been on.

Yeah that’s the question. He was stripped at half time along with sakala which made me think he was potentially coming on 45-60 and actually could have lasted longer but maybe Gio just played it safe.

It was very obvious tonight we badly missed having a fit Alfie or Roofe to lead the line. Given we've had to do without both in recent weeks what the team achieved was remarkable. I'm convinced we'd have won had either been fit. Roofe has to play on Saturday if fit.

I’m no sports scientist and I agree with what your saying about a CF

But

If Roofe can play a bigger part on Saturday somethings wrong. it’s 3 days can that make a difference

for sure,

It has been a massive issue, in reality, all season, even when both were fit.

Our not signing an additional forward has been a mistake all season
Absolutely.

I don't know one Rangers actual football fan that hasn't been wanting us to get one in.

Last summer window, then this January.
Two occasions when this quite perverse policy of "making do" has seen us ultimately struggle to win anything.

If Roofe was fit enough for the bench I don’t see why he couldn’t have managed 30 minutes of extra time against exhausted players. Convinced he would have made a difference

Not having a striker caught up with us last night. We could not hold up the ball and get and grip on the game

Agree totally.
Roofe should have been on at the beginning of extra time to get him up to speed.Expecting him to turn things round with only a few minutes left is a mistake on the management teams part

Sentiment has to go out the window this summer. Players with one year left need to be moved on of they won't extend. Players that can't give us 30 games need to be moved on.

I'd have loved to see a lot of these guy off with a cup double but it wasn't to be. Time to move on.

Agree totally.
Roofe should have been on at the beginning of extra time to get him up to speed.Expecting him to turn things round with only a few minutes left is a mistake on the management teams part

He was brought on to take a penalty not to turn things around.

We just don’t know how bad the injury still is, he might have come on at the start of ET and not made it to the end, in which case we potentially would have used all our subs, ended up with trying to hang on with only 10 men, and not had him for the penalties.
no way he plays the whole game on Saturday.

Have to stop signing injury prone players. I love Roofe but what good is he when he's only fit for 3-4 games in a row before getting injured? £4 million he cost us to miss out on about half the games.
Not injury prone
Good
Cheap

Pick 2. That’s how our signings work generally.

In the Summer we have alot of work to do. We need quality not quantity. I really hope we get 4-5 good quality players in and not 10 mediocre players

Losing centre forwards has cost us big time in Europe. Hateley v Marseille in 93. Cousin v Zenit in 08 and Morelos/ Roofe last night.
Unbelievable bad luck.

In our 5 European finals in the last 60 years, one of the older bears was saying we have only once had our normal first choice striker.

Colin Stein in 1972.

Quite incredible fact, and I really believe that Morelos would have led us to victory last night.

In our 5 European finals in the last 60 years, one of the older bears was saying we have only once had our normal first choice striker.

Colin Stein in 1972.

Quite incredible fact, and I really believe that Morelos would have led us to victory last night.
That's true - I had forgotten 67 where we binned our strikers after Berwick. Too young to remember the first one!

In January we had Morelos and Roofe with Itten to return from loan.

What sort of striker should we have signed - one to challenge Roofe or Morelos? That would be too expensive.

One to challenge Itten for a place on the bench? Pointless, as they still wouldn’t have been good enough to make a difference tonight.

We got some bad luck with injuries to both our strikers. That’s it. No point whining about January.

Losing centre forwards has cost us big time in Europe. Hateley v Marseille in 93. Cousin v Zenit in 08 and Morelos/ Roofe last night.
Unbelievable bad luck.
Not bad luck, stupid sending off, stupid sending off and not buying the necessary quality as back up to Alfie, and these are things within our control.

Not having our two first choice strikers available put us at a massive disadvantage.

To be fair to Aribo, he scored, but you couldn’t help feel that Morelos would have caused them a lot more problems and brought us more into play as an attacking force while Roofe’s predatory instincts could have made the difference too.

Hey ho, it is what it is, but it’s difficult not to feel that we won’t have a better chance to win another European trophy.

Absolutely spot on,quire a few players struggling with fitness to. So close, Germans are past masters at penalties.

I don’t get how at extra time, against tiring defenders, he wasn’t fit enough to play 30 mins?

In January we had Morelos and Roofe with Itten to return from loan.

What sort of striker should we have signed - one to challenge Roofe or Morelos? That would be too expensive.

One to challenge Itten for a place on the bench? Pointless, as they still wouldn’t have been good enough to make a difference tonight.

We got some bad luck with injuries to both our strikers. That’s it. No point whining about January.

Agree.

It's an unfortunate problem that every team that only plays with 1 striker faces. Tottenham have had this problem for years. You need a striker that's good enough to step in for Harry Kane (Morelos), but where do you find one good enough, at that right price, that's willing to come in and play second fiddle? Obviously that's even more of an issue for a club like Rangers who need to be more realistic with our resources.

It's something the club will need to address this summer, for sure, and decisions will need to be made on if Itten is good enough, if Roofe is fit enough etc. But we're going to have a job on replacing Morales. Replacing Morales and then finding another 2 strikers equally capable of stepping in is going to be a task.

Agree.

It's an unfortunate problem that every team that only plays with 1 striker faces. Tottenham have had this problem for years. You need a striker that's good enough to step in for Harry Kane (Morelos), but where do you find one good enough, at that right price, that's willing to come in and play second fiddle? Obviously that's even more of an issue for a club like Rangers who need to be more realistic with our resources.

It's something the club will need to address this summer, for sure, and decisions will need to be made on if Itten is good enough, if Roofe is fit enough etc. But we're going to have a job on replacing Morales. Replacing Morales and then finding another 2 strikers equally capable of stepping in is going to be a task.
I’m hopeful that Alfie will stay

What the hell is happening when we are discussing whether a player can last 3 mns,if that's his level of fitness he should be gone asap.i do suspect though he wants out and I think there will be a few agents contacted by quite a few of our players today to try and get a move out.

What the hell is happening when we are discussing whether a player can last 3 mns,if that's his level of fitness he should be gone asap.i do suspect though he wants out and I think there will be a few agents contacted by quite a few of our players today to try and get a move out.
He has been recovering from an injury, so I think he was given every possible opportunity to play if needed. We had no other attacking option for the bench so wouldnt matter if he was on it or not.
I think Kemar is happy here in all honesty.

Back