A date to celebrate 2 trebles

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
May 29th. The date I will always think of as my dad's birthday. And an excuse today for me to remember not 1 Rangers treble, but 2 of them.

His 54th birthday in 1993 saw us play Aberdeen in the Cup Final at Parkhead. We sang The Sash in the Jungle, and Mark Hateley scored a typical goal of power and pace as we completed the clean sweep. What a team that was, and what a night we had celebrating afterwards. The only time we have ever won the treble at Celtic Park.

His 60th birthday in 1999 saw us play Celtic in the Cup Final at Hampden. We sang our praises of Dick Advocaat as Rod Wallace scored the only goal to complete the full set of trophies. Another great team, and a night even more of a blur as we had a special birthday to party. The only time we ever won a treble by beating Celtic.

2 days never to be forgotten by all Rangers supporters, but that wee bit extra special for me. Because on a date that reminds me not only of the greatest team in the world, but of the man no longer here who gave me my lifelong love of The Rangers.

A glass to be raised tonight.

Think I too will have a small refreshment tonight and raise a glass to...

...the "Squads of 93 and 99, to DH's dad - God rest his soul, to EK True Blue - Happy Birthday, and to baby Mark (or Hateley or whatever NVL decided to call the boy)"

Any excuse really :cool:

I missed the 99 cup final, i was in Oslo at a works conference. Asked one of the Norwegian guys to find out the score, someone said if it has went the wrong way it may spoil your night. When Rolf came back i said don't tell me the score, it might ruin my night. Okay he said. i know the score but it wouldn't ruin your night.

1999 Final 3 of us, myself, my 75 year old Father and 12 year old son watched it in a Corfu Bar, the only one in the resort showing it. By that time beating that lot had become the norm for me, but I could see the Old Man was getting a bit reflective if you like given he was a Kinning Park man born and bread and had seen it done it and the rest. The remainder of the night once the 'wimin'' joined us was one stored in the memory bank. Good times, and good post OP.

One thing i always thought was odd, why did we sign Stephen Wright? always thought he was a weak player, lookin back and he looks crap.

Happy birthday guys, but please excuse me for not remembering it as your birthday, but for other things!

May 29th. The date I will always think of as my dad's birthday. And an excuse today for me to remember not 1 Rangers treble, but 2 of them.

His 54th birthday in 1993 saw us play Aberdeen in the Cup Final at Parkhead. We sang The Sash in the Jungle, and Mark Hateley scored a typical goal of power and pace as we completed the clean sweep. What a team that was, and what a night we had celebrating afterwards. The only time we have ever won the treble at Celtic Park.

His 60th birthday in 1999 saw us play Celtic in the Cup Final at Hampden. We sang our praises of Dick Advocaat as Rod Wallace scored the only goal to complete the full set of trophies. Another great team, and a night even more of a blur as we had a special birthday to party. The only time we ever won a treble by beating Celtic.

2 days never to be forgotten by all Rangers supporters, but that wee bit extra special for me. Because on a date that reminds me not only of the greatest team in the world, but of the man no longer here who gave me my lifelong love of The Rangers.

A glass to be raised tonight.

Magical memories mate.

Cherish them.

Back