a day in the life of Billy Gilmour

He looks like he'll become some player. Great watch and all the best to young Billy.

It was indeed mate.

On a side note I've read a bit about the amount of lads on Chelseas books and I find it disgusting and stunting the progress of a lot of young players. There should be limits in place for stuff like that on what you can pay k8ds because 9/10 They will take Chelseas absurd money and fade away in football terms.

A fantastic insight to what goes on so thanks for posting!

Looks the part and I hope he cracks it down there, free kicks looked to be nailed that’s for sure!!

A world-class set up for the young boys there but there is no substitution for first-team football imo.

The Chelsea model looks to have players being introduced to the first team between the age of 22-23, or punted on for a profit elsewhere. The latter tends to be the reality.

Billy could have had 150-200 appearances in the Rangers first-team under his belt and medals in his cabinet by that point if he'd stayed. No one is going to tell me that watching Cesc Fabregas on a library computer screen and a menu made up by a dietician would have been better preparation than that.

There are things we can learn from these set-ups, no doubt. And Mark Allen's remit is to bring a level of professionalism like this to our youth programmes. However the desire of the player himself to fight his way to the first team and stay there is what gave us all our greats.

Another comment I’ve seen a lot but still can’t get my head around. In what way will football die because of money?

Well at the moment they appear to be programming robots.

How much further will it have advanced in the next 10 years.

A world-class set up for the young boys there but there is no substitution for first-team football imo.

The Chelsea model looks to have players being introduced to the first team between the age of 22-23, or punted on for a profit elsewhere. The latter tends to be the reality.

Billy could have had 150-200 appearances in the Rangers first-team under his belt and medals in his cabinet by that point if he'd stayed. No one is going to tell me that watching Cesc Fabregas on a library computer screen and a menu made up by a dietician would have been better preparation than that.

There are things we can learn from these set-ups, no doubt. And Mark Allen's remit is to bring a level of professionalism like this to our youth programmes. However the desire of the player himself to fight his way to the first team and stay there is what gave us all our greats.
He might have played 150 games against the hammer throwers in the SPL but how much would he have developed. He’ll be loaned out to championship team in next few years which is a higher standard than we play at

As much as I would have loved him to stay, we can’t compete with that sort of facilities. A totally different world

Good luck Billy

Not having a go, but do you know that. I understood that we have similar facilties & programs for the youths. Id like to think we have, as that is our future right now. Agree with the poster above, top class professional youth coaching in combination with early first team football under pressure, as he would have got at Rangers, would, imo have been a better option for him. Sad that we never got to see him play. Not good for the game as a whole, imo.

He might have played 150 games against the hammer throwers in the SPL but how much would he have developed. He’ll be loaned out to championship team in next few years which is a higher standard than we play at

He'll no doubt be loaned to half a dozen different Championship sides in the next few years. And then end up signing for one on full-terms.

Compared to being a mainstay in a Rangers first-team? You don't think the latter would set him up better for a career at the top level?

He'll no doubt be loaned to half a dozen different Championship sides in the next few years. And then end up signing for one on full-terms.

Compared to being a mainstay in a Rangers first-team? You don't think the latter would set him up better for a career at the top level?

The lad could go down there for 5-10 years, return to Scotland and still be the mainstay in the Rangers 1st team for 10yrs

money will eventually kill football.
I don't think it will kill it but it's already altering beyond recognition.

It's becoming like the American NFL with big superstar players earning millions and the rest of the game at High School and College level structured to feed into that.

I wonder how many Rangers or Celtic football tops Santa will be delivering in Glasgow tonight as opposed to Barcelona, Real Madrid or PSG ones?

Another comment I’ve seen a lot but still can’t get my head around. In what way will football die because of money?
Bit of sentimentality I guess...but I agree.
Footballs different than when I was younger...less characters, and different type of football. I remember Brazil 82 team when i was young. Brilliant individuals who were so skilful and played how they wanted. Now it’s more about strength and organisation and win st all costs (how would Jim Baxter get on in todays football, or even gazza going back less time). Bar a few exceptions, don’t get the individuals like in the past I don’t think. Not just football though...life in general. No much you can do about it.
If you’re a young guy you’ll think ‘moany old git’, But I guarantee you...you’ll eventually feel the same

Was up for the game yesterday.

Weird one at chelsea, they bring these boys in, educate and train them for the sole intention of sending out on loan and selling for a profit

He will probably never see the first team at chelsea yet make them £5-10m in a transfer fee and will still end up a millionaire by the time he is 20.

I wish good luck to any young Scot starting out his / her career no matter what profession. It's a tough world nowadays with so many fannies making the rules and calling the shots.

[/QUOTE] Billy could have had 150-200 appearances in the Rangers first-team under his belt and medals in his cabinet by that point if he'd stayed.[/QUOTE]

MEDALS you are optimistic

Really good watch.

I live in hope that part of the deal was that when they feel he is ready to go on loan we are first in line.

Probably a pipe dream.

He left with a fantastic gesture and I'm sure whatever happens there will be a place at Rangers for him should he require coming back up.

Bit of sentimentality I guess...but I agree.
Footballs different than when I was younger...less characters, and different type of football. I remember Brazil 82 team when i was young. Brilliant individuals who were so skilful and played how they wanted. Now it’s more about strength and organisation and win st all costs (how would Jim Baxter get on in todays football, or even gazza going back less time). Bar a few exceptions, don’t get the individuals like in the past I don’t think. Not just football though...life in general. No much you can do about it.
If you’re a young guy you’ll think ‘moany old git’, But I guarantee you...you’ll eventually feel the same
Football was better thirty years ago, Super. (So was music and movies, come to that.)

Funny thing was, back then older guys were saying the exact same thing to me. Although it's hard to imagine that thirty years from now any Bears will be remembering this era with any fondness.

Football was better thirty years ago, Super. (So was music and movies, come to that.)

Funny thing was, back then older guys were saying the exact same thing to me. Although it's hard to imagine that thirty years from now any Bears will be remembering this era with any fondness.
Think you missed my point mate

Personally I think money is killing football and that football was better 30 years ago..but whether it was or wasn’t it is to me as that was when I was young.
So what I meant -and meant in jokey fashion-was that everyone thinks things were better when they young. My dad would have said 50s /60s were better. Human nature....

That said I do think players getting paid 200k per week and moaning when they don’t get a birthday present is fubar....

It was indeed mate.

On a side note I've read a bit about the amount of lads on Chelseas books and I find it disgusting and stunting the progress of a lot of young players. There should be limits in place for stuff like that on what you can pay k8ds because 9/10 They will take Chelseas absurd money and fade away in football terms.

My next door neighbour is on Chelseas books 18 years old £5k a week and says he will never play for the first team and 95% of those at Cobham are just happy to be there knowing theyll never get anywhere nar the first team

I was talking to his Dad not so long ago, and he’s absolutely flying at Chelsea. He’s got the best chance of any Scottish player in two decades of reaching the top in the game.

I’ll tell you what, I have 2 boys and it was always a dream to see them play for Rangers.

What father, honestly, could say that it’s in the best interests of their son to stay at this Rangers, in this state, with this long-term outlook?

Not one.

Money without distribution of that wealth means the ability to compete with the elite is steadily reduced.

When competition is reduced sport suffers.

It won't die as in there being no game, but it will die in as much as the top 8-12 clubs will always be at the top, will always have the means to have the best players and will always have the ability to have the game how they want it and where they want it.

That's not football.

I was talking to his Dad not so long ago, and he’s absolutely flying at Chelsea. He’s got the best chance of any Scottish player in two decades of reaching the top in the game.

I’ll tell you what, I have 2 boys and it was always a dream to see them play for Rangers.

What father, honestly, could say that it’s in the best interests of their son to stay at this Rangers, in this state, with this long-term outlook?

Not one.

I think it's very, very harsh to lay the ludicrous approach to the game by it's very wealthiest clubs at the door of Rangers.

You could have put the name of 98% of clubs in world football in place of Rangers there and the answer would be the same.

The lad could go down there for 5-10 years, return to Scotland and still be the mainstay in the Rangers 1st team for 10yrs

Like Danny Wilson?

The age of 18-21 is crucial in a footballers development.

They need to be playing first team games. If they aren't then they never get that time back.

I think it's very, very harsh to lay the ludicrous approach to the game by it's very wealthiest clubs at the door of Rangers.

You could have put the name of 98% of clubs in world football in place of Rangers there and the answer would be the same.

98 per cent of clubs are not sailing rudderless, happy to drift into mediocrity, with no plotted course to follow.

We are. We were when Billy had a decision to make and the way it looks will be for a long while to come.

Like Danny Wilson?

The age of 18-21 is crucial in a footballers development.

They need to be playing first team games. If they aren't then they never get that time back.
I'm not saying he won't be playing 1st team football at Chelsea or any other club down South, look at Fodden at Man City 17 and played CL already. He could play 1st team football on loan, what I'm saying is he could have a successful career and financially sound after 10 yrs down sound and still come home to Scotland and play for another 10yrs

Back