a day in the life of Billy Gilmour

Football in Scotland is dying because of a LACK of money

It’s only a lack of money because of the comparison to the floods of it elsewhere.

Listening to podcasts about 90s football and the players were scared of their manager and even more so of the Chairman. The chairman was the paymaster and the clever business man in charge of your livelihood. Now the players are wealthier than the chairmen and call all the shots.

Clubs used to rely on the fans. They needed the stands full and the shirts sold. Now it doesn’t matter. So long as the sponsorship from China and Sky keeps rolling in. They could have 20 blokes and a dog in the stands and wouldn’t care. Bournemouth being a case in point.

Scottish football is playing a different game. A different game because of the mess money has made elsewhere. Remember the Man U Real Madrid game in the Ststes in the Summer, with both teams led out by Ronald McDonald? Well there will be more of that. The NFL has adverts every 3 minutes. Football is going that way. Modern football is shit and I absolutely hate it.

He'll no doubt be loaned to half a dozen different Championship sides in the next few years. And then end up signing for one on full-terms.

Compared to being a mainstay in a Rangers first-team? You don't think the latter would set him up better for a career at the top level?

No, quite simply staying with us would have held him back.

We’re years away from being even a decent side in the SPL, no stability in management and a complete basket case at board level

The lad did the right thing, Ibrox is not the place to be

Good luck BG

Another comment I’ve seen a lot but still can’t get my head around. In what way will football die because of money?
The money small clubs the likes of England underlines how it's killing football. When the bottom EPL club gets £100m for being relegated what chance has clubs in Scotland, Holland and Portugal got, clubs for countries who have produced some great sides. 25 years ago we matched and indeed bettered clubs from all the top countries on and off the park, now we couldn't even afford on single player from the top sides.

What happened to the young beast player that went to Chelsea , whose name escapes me?

Flopped at Hibs and I haven't heard of him since. Is he still playing?

A world-class set up for the young boys there but there is no substitution for first-team football imo.

The Chelsea model looks to have players being introduced to the first team between the age of 22-23, or punted on for a profit elsewhere. The latter tends to be the reality.

Billy could have had 150-200 appearances in the Rangers first-team under his belt and medals in his cabinet by that point if he'd stayed. No one is going to tell me that watching Cesc Fabregas on a library computer screen and a menu made up by a dietician would have been better preparation than that.

There are things we can learn from these set-ups, no doubt. And Mark Allen's remit is to bring a level of professionalism like this to our youth programmes. However the desire of the player himself to fight his way to the first team and stay there is what gave us all our greats.

Or he could have his confidence shattered by the boo boys after having a poor few games, swings and roundabouts eh.

What happened to the young beast player that went to Chelsea , whose name escapes me?

Flopped at Hibs and I haven't heard of him since. Is he still playing?
Islam Feruz.
I thought he would be long gone but checked and he is still on Chelseas books till 2019, after many loans.

I guess this is the year they decide if they can get any money for him.

Islam Feruz.
I thought he would be long gone but checked and he is still on Chelseas books till 2019, after many loans.

Turned into a bit of a lad, been arrested a couple of times, he will need to change or his career could end prematurely.

He'll no doubt be loaned to half a dozen different Championship sides in the next few years. And then end up signing for one on full-terms.

Compared to being a mainstay in a Rangers first-team? You don't think the latter would set him up better for a career at the top level?
I was thinking the other day (dangerous i know),, but seeing the boy Cochrane do so well at Hearts and being the same age as Billy. Is he better than Billy at football?

That was a cracking wee clip.

He chose to leave. Who cares.
I do because look across the city. Their infrastructure and opportunities are such Tierney chose to stay.
Until we become an attractive club for youngsters to ply their trade and see a path not only to the first team but into Europe we will continue to lose the Gilmours of this world.
That’s why our board has to become functional again.
We also should be lobbying the other small associations to tell the big clubs enough is enough.

Islam Feruz.

That's the guy. Just googled him, he appears to have flopped everywhere he's went.

I doubt they'll get a penny for him, in fact looking at his career he'll be lucky to find a half decent club.

Another comment I’ve seen a lot but still can’t get my head around. In what way will football die because of money?

Eventually player greed will outstrip the Clubs affordability, ordinary fans, the lifeblood of the game will be unable to afford tickets and as TV subscriptions increase they won’t be able to afford those, only a few select clubs will thrive, completion will decrease, interest will fall as it becomes stagnant so Clubs income will fall.

I do because look across the city. Their infrastructure and opportunities are such Tierney chose to stay.
Until we become an attractive club for youngsters to ply their trade and see a path not only to the first team but into Europe we will continue to lose the Gilmours of this world.
We also should be lobbying the other small associations to tell the big clubs enough is enough.

I would say "Opportunities" at the Tramphitheatre are much less likely than at Ibrox.

It's already happening.
TV deals are becoming more and more affordable to the working man.
The packages are becoming less expensive.

They won't be able to sustain it and mark my words their offers to the English league for the contracts will decrease. (Sky and BT are already in cahoots).
Massive player salaries will peak and if the Playboy owners get fed up with their toys, the shit will really hit the fan.

Forgive me but I am not up to speed with the mentally challengeds youth teams but was Tierney getting the same plublicity and offers that Gilmour was getting before he could sign a professional contract at them?

Coming through the system at Chelsea hasn't harmed the likes of Lukaku, De Bruyne or Salah, who were all signed at similar ages.

Might not be a Chelsea player, but Gilmour now has a real chance of becoming a great player. Scottish football wouldn't have done that for him.

Very proud of him

Took balls to do what he did & although I was gutted, he’s going great guns down there

He’s going to be a fantastic player & a top young man

Well as you stated on the old board the people at Ibrox were encouraging him to make the move.

Mind you, its not what Craig Mulholland was saying.

It was indeed mate.

On a side note I've read a bit about the amount of lads on Chelseas books and I find it disgusting and stunting the progress of a lot of young players. There should be limits in place for stuff like that on what you can pay k8ds because 9/10 They will take Chelseas absurd money and fade away in football terms.

Chelsea make them millionaires. If they'e good enough the cream rise to the top on loan somewhere.

Coming through the system at Chelsea hasn't harmed the likes of Lukaku, De Bruyne or Salah, who were all signed at similar ages.

Might not be a Chelsea player, but Gilmour now has a real chance of becoming a great player. Scottish football wouldn't have done that for him.

KdB and Salah had a hundred pro games under their belts before signing for Chelsea.

KdB and Salah had a hundred pro games under their belts before signing for Chelsea.

True, but their "stalled development" there was no issue at all.

It won't hold Gilmour back. He's likely to progress far more than he would have had he stayed.

Chelsea make them millionaires. If they'e good enough the cream rise to the top on loan somewhere.
That's true right enough mate.

I would like the players to give a few years of playing to the club they came through but who can honestly say they would refuse when financial comfort for you and your family for life is waved under your nose?

That's true right enough mate.

I would like the players to give a few years of playing to the club they came through but who can honestly say they would refuse when financial comfort for you and your family for life is waved under your nose?

Thing is these boys are that good they would rise to the top no matter what club they came from. They have to seize the opportunity.

Pains me to say it but it looks like he will get a better level of development there. Hope he keeps his head screwed on. If he does, he will have a great career.

The lad could go down there for 5-10 years, return to Scotland and still be the mainstay in the Rangers 1st team for 10yrs
i am afraid the days of any player doing a scholes,Giggs or Beckham for Rangers are long gone. I think any player decent or great will be with us for 3-4 year max before being sold on, we are no longer able to compete, money has just killed us when a team like Burnley can pay 50 k a week and we can pay 15k.
I think McCrorie could be great but being realistic he will end up in the premiership and sadly we can't deny these lads that sort of move.

Seems a really bright young lad and genuinely loves his football.

Will be pretty much impossible for him to break through at Chelsea but if he keeps his head down I see no reason why he can't play at the top level.

Doesn't matter how good the facilities are, in order to develop properly you need to be playing games. Hopefully he will succeed and not become another kid lost to the system down south.

Really hope the lad makes it big, Scotland needs a player to be proud of and better still if he came from our academy.

This article epitomises everything that’s wrong with the “farming” policy that Chelsea use at cobham.

https://www.si.com/soccer/2017/07/1...s-never-worn-blues-shirt-despite-7-years-club

Good watch that.

Reminds me of being a kid and wanting to do nothing other than kick a ball about. What a dream for that to be your job!!!

On you go wee man. Live out your dream.

Seems like a smart, sensible wee guy too who’s settled well.

Back