A Germany all time XI

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
Germany play tonight, and it's possible they could go out.
What a World Cup history they have with 4 wins, 4 runners up and several other tournaments they get to the business end.

I don't know if Germany have ever done an official All Time XI, but what a difficult task that would be.

Strikers alone you have the likes of Uwe Seeler, Gerd Muller, Karl Heinz Rummenigge, Rudi Voller, Jurgen Klinnsman, Misoslav Klose and Thomas Muller.

Or full backs such as Karl Heinz Schnellinger, Paul Breitner, Berti Vogts, Andreas Brehme, Philip Lahm.

Goalkeepers Sapp Maier, Oliver Kahn, Manuel Nauer.

Midfield has had greats such as Wolfgang Overath, Gunter Netzer, Ullie Hoeness, Rainer Bonhoff, Lothar Mattheus, Andreas Moller, Matthias Sammer, Bastian Schweinsteiner, Toni Kroos.

I'm bound to have missed umpteen out.

Beckenbauer at centre back and captain must be the only certainty!

Anyone bored enough or old enough to give it a go?

Maybe I should change the thread title to "spot the missing German" :cool:

4-4-2

Neuer
Lahm, Beckenbauer, Kohler, Brehme,
Littbarski, Mattheus, Schweinsteiger, Overath
Gerd Muller, Klose.

Oliver Khan

Berti Vogts
Franz Beckenbauer
Phillip Lahm

Lothar Mattheus
Bastian Schweinsteiger
Wolfgang Overath
Michael Ballack
Thomas Muller

Olivier Bierhoff
Gerd Muller

In the 1972 ECWC semi final we beat a Bayern team 2-0 at Ibrox - a team with Maier, Breitner, Beckenbauer, Hoeness and Gerd Muller.
Without doubt the best result any Scottish team has ever had in Europe.
And that night we had an 18-year-old boy replacing the Greatest Ever Ranger, who was injured.

All time XI ? Jeez...as you say, would be difficult.

Germany have had 50 players who've scored double figures for their country.

Timo Werner making only his 12th start tonight will join them with 2 goals v Sweden.

What a World Cup history they have with 4 wins, 4 runners up and several other tournaments they get to the business end.

I don't know if Germany have ever done an official All Time XI, but what a difficult task that would be.

Strikers alone you have the likes of Uwe Seeler, Gerd Muller, Karl Heinz Rummenigge, Rudi Voller, Jurgen Klinnsman, Misoslav Klose and Thomas Muller.

Or full backs such as Karl Heinz Schnellinger, Paul Breitner, Berti Vogts, Andreas Brehme, Philip Lahm.

Midfield has had greats such as Wolfgang Overath, Gunter Netzer, Ullie Hoeness, Rainer Bonhoff, Lothar Mattheus, Andreas Moller, Matthias Sammer, Bastian Schweinsteiner, Toni Kroos.

Albertz
Klos
Nerlinger

Been thinking about this for the past half hour, and I still can't decide. Heid nipping!
It would probably be easier naming the greatest Brazil XI!!

In my lifetime

Neuer

Lahm
Kohler
Sammer
Brehme

Hassler
Matthaus
Ballack
Schweinsteiger

Klinsmann
Voller

All time XI ? Jeez...as you say, would be difficult.

Germany have had 50 players who've scored double figures for their country.

Timo Werner making only his 12th start tonight will join them with 2 goals v Sweden.

Haven't Scotland got 50 players with 10 or more goals? Maybe me, but 50 doesn't sound a huge number.

Karl Heinz Rumminge should be as certain a starter as Beckenbauer or Muller.

Whit about Fanny Chmelar !!!

Maier
Vogts
Kohler
Beckanbaeur
Schnellinger

Berthold
Breitner
Matteus
Overath

Rumminigge
Gerd Muller

Never
Breitner Beckinbauer Koehler. Schnellinger
Overath. Matteus. Bonhoeff. Rumenigge
G Muller. Seeler

Tried to give it a go but it’s impossible. You could fill about five different XIs with all world class players.

The Germans are magnificent bastards.

Maier
Breitner
Beckenbauer
Brehme
Lahm
Thomas Muller
Lothar Matteus
Ballack
Littbarski
Gerd Muller
Rumenigge

I would always want Netzer in my team.
But accept that there are so many greats it is difficult.
Fantastc array of German players over the years.
Last night was a masterclass of the German mentality in action.
Just incredible.

Before my time , but going on reputation and what I've been told from people who's opinions I value, Gerd Muller, Beckenbauer and Wolfgang Overath must be certs to be included

Edit Karl Heinz or Klinsmann to partner Muller.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see that there are line-ups that have Berthold and Hrubesh in midfield. Thomas Berthold was a defender and Horst Hrubesch was a striker.

In the 1972 ECWC semi final we beat a Bayern team 2-0 at Ibrox - a team with Maier, Breitner, Beckenbauer, Hoeness and Gerd Muller.
Without doubt the best result any Scottish team has ever had in Europe.
And that night we had an 18-year-old boy replacing the Greatest Ever Ranger, who was injured.

When we beat Juventus in '78 2-0. They had Zoff .. Gentile .. Cabrini... Tardelli Scirea... Bettega. This result along with 2-0 against Parma have to be up there too

When we beat Juventus in '78 2-0. They had Zoff .. Gentile .. Cabrini... Tardelli Scirea... Bettega. This result along with 2-0 against Parma have to be up there too

I think Franco Causio was possibly in that Juvenile line up too mate.

Like Fritz Walter, who was mentioned earlier, another from the 1954 winning team who would have a good shout is the winger Helmut Rahn, who is still in the top 10 all-time World Cup goalscorers. Not old enough to have seen either, though.

He was mate, forgot about him, another great player.

I watched the game again last week, it was way before I was born.

Juventus had an absolute psycho playing called Romeo Bonetti I think?

Nearly halved Gordon Smith in 2.

Was he an internationalist too mate?

Back