A happy birthday to Alex Miller

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
Thought of as a dependable deputy, a squad player who could be relied on when needed. But Alex Miller had a Rangers career that deserves recognition.

Played in 3 different decades.
Picked by 4 different managers.
Made 319 appearances.
Scored 33 goals.
Scored in 10 different seasons.
Played his part in 2 trebles.
3 league medals.
5 Scottish Cup medals.
5 League Cup medals.

And scorer of a last minute winner at Parkhead that had a celebration on the terraces I'll remember forever.

71 today. Happy birthday to a great Rangers servant.

A friend of my uncle's, since Alex used to take the junior team he played with for training twice a week, while he was still a Gers player.

Will always be remembered for that goal and also played nearly an hour with a broken jaw in the 1971 SC Final.

Lives in Spain now I believe.

Happy birthday Alex.

Thought of as a dependable deputy, a squad player who could be relied on when needed. But Alex Miller had a Rangers career that deserves recognition.

Made 319 appearances.
Scored 33 goals.
3 league medals.
5 Scottish Cup medals.
5 League Cup medals.

And scorer of a last minute winner at Parkhead that had a celebration on the terraces I'll remember forever.

Anytime I hear or see the name Alex Miller always think of this, Wee Buds Bullet of a throw in and Packy Bonner watching it sail past him then try and blame everyone else.
Happy Birthday Sir. :))

Happy birthday 'humphy'.

A great servant, a very decent player and one that deserves to be remembered fondly.

Came into my works a few years ago.
He very kindly allowed me and a colleague to throw questions at him for over 30 minutes. His knowledge and ability to explain tactics to a thicko like me was amazing.
Happy Birthday.

Was at he same primary school as him. He played for the school team, I can remember he would dribble by man after man. He looked like a world beater then, still done not too badly.
He also played at that time for the 77th Lifeboys/BB team with one of the Grays, not sure which one.

A friend of my uncle's, since Alex used to take the junior team he played with for training twice a week, while he was still a Gers player.

Will always be remembered for that goal and also played nearly an hour with a broken jaw in the 1971 SC Final.

Lives in Spain now I believe.

Happy birthday Alex.
Lives in Edinburgh, he has a villa in Marbella where he spends a lot of his time playing golf, i'm in touch with his younger brother Andy who lives in Calgary, Canada. I grew up with the Miller family in Drumchapel, remember the night he signed for Rangers, everyone who knew him were very pleased for him and his family. His older Brother, Jimmy, was a good player also, was at St.Mirren and Barnsley but drifted out of the game, has lived in Jersey for many years.

Was at he same primary school as him. He played for the school team, I can remember he would dribble by man after man. He looked like a world beater then, still done not too badly.
He also played at that time for the 77th Lifeboys/BB team with one of the Grays, not sure which one.
That would have been Duncan Gray who played for the 77th BB.

He's the only player I've ever really had a chat with. Was at a supporters dance in the Westwood in EK shortly after Airdie beat us one nil at Ibrox, the game where big Grieg went round the track on a horse-drawn buggy. Alex was trying to explain why we lost that day "sometimes it just doesn't happen, doesn't matter what you do". Also shared the fact that the team were on as big a bonus to win that day as they were to beat that shower on Ne'erday so they had every incentive.
Happy birthday, Alex.

Lives in Edinburgh, he has a villa in Marbella where he spends a lot of his time playing golf, i'm in touch with his younger brother Andy who lives in Calgary, Canada. I grew up with the Miller family in Drumchapel, remember the night he signed for Rangers, everyone who knew him were very pleased for him and his family. His older Brother, Jimmy, was a good player also, was at St.Mirren and Barnsley but drifted out of the game, has lived in Jersey for many years.
Remember Alex from Katewell in the Drum a good guy Happy Birthday Alex
Off topic but this brought back happy memories of my time as a kid in Drumchapel, I lived at 4 Fettercairn Avenue. Had a look on google and discovered it’s no longer there, and new street has been given the name. Progress I suppose.

This may sound strange and my memory may be playing tricks on me. I went to high school in Clydebank late 70's early 80's, I'm convinced Alex worked in an ice cream van which came to the school gates at lunchtime whilst still a Rangers player. Seems crazy thinking back now, given how pampered modern day players are. Anyone else who went to Clydebank High around this time remember this?

Happy birthday Alex.

Ah thanks for clearing that up mate.

I just assumed he lived out there because my uncle seems to bump into him every time he's out there, which is plenty.

This may sound strange and my memory may be playing tricks on me. I went to high school in Clydebank late 70's early 80's, I'm convinced Alex worked in an ice cream van which came to the school gates at lunchtime whilst still a Rangers player. Seems crazy thinking back now, given how pampered modern day players are. Anyone else who went to Clydebank High around this time remember this?

Happy birthday Alex.
Alex had an ice cream van while at rangers. At the time he was living in Old Drumchapel village. He did indeed do a round in Clydebank

Off topic but this brought back happy memories of my time as a kid in Drumchapel, I lived at 4 Fettercairn Avenue. Had a look on google and discovered it’s no longer there, and new street has been given the name. Progress I suppose.
What primary school, Cleddans I should think or maybe Ladyloan

Great servant to the club. Remember him well from the Drum. Went to Cleddans same time as Janis and Andy.

Happy birthday, he lived the dream, can’t remember much about his playing days but by %^*& he was a defensive manager :D

I remember that ‘goal’ day well. Leicester were at home to Liverpool and I’d gone there with scouse friends. Great result by Leicester 2-0. I’d no idea of what was happening in Glasgow until we got back to the car for the journey back to Liverpool. First thing I heard was the commentary recording of Alex’s goal. Cue the first off licence we saw.
That year Leicester came up to Anfield and put Liverpool to the sword there too, a first defeat for that superb team at home for a long time if I remember correctly. Jock Wallace autographed my programme too.

Happy Birthday Alex. Many great memories.

Incredible to think Alex Miller still played over 300 games for Rangers when for most of his Rangers career Sandy, Willie Wanfoot and the Legend filled the full back roles. A great servant. Happy Birthday sir.

Made 319 appearances.
Scored 33 goals.
3 league medals.
5 Scottish Cup medals.
5 League Cup medals.

I was at that game when he scored. One of the best moments of my life, so thanks Mr Miller

He's the only player I've ever really had a chat with. Was at a supporters dance in the Westwood in EK shortly after Airdie beat us one nil at Ibrox, the game where big Grieg went round the track on a horse-drawn buggy. Alex was trying to explain why we lost that day "sometimes it just doesn't happen, doesn't matter what you do". Also shared the fact that the team were on as big a bonus to win that day as they were to beat that shower on Ne'erday so they had every incentive.
Happy birthday, Alex.
Bloody hell mate, that was one of my first ever games

Made 319 appearances.
Scored 33 goals.
3 league medals.
5 Scottish Cup medals.
5 League Cup medals.

An underrated player, his stats are a tribute to his Rangers career. And that goal is unforgettable, what a day to be part of that maelstrom when it hit the net.

I don't know if my memory is playing tricks on me,I was playing for my local amateur side away, up in Drumchapel and Alex Miller was standing at the side of the pitch.It was the day of an old firm game in the mid to late 70s and I managed to get over to near where he was standing and I asked him how the Gers got on,he said we got beat and he missed a penalty.
I am sure in my mind this happened but I can't imagine this would occur now days.

He coached Baljaffray Primary to 2 league titles when he lived in the area and his boys went to that school.

Was all through school with his younger brother Andy
Met Alex plenty of times. He owned/ ran a shop at Drumchapel train station. A gentleman and very approachable decent guy.
Happy birthday sir.
Mr dependable.

Back