A Lack of Signings This Window Could Kill Our Season

Necro

I keep seeing our management say that the squad needs to be trimmed and we will add 1 player maximum, I find this to be extremely alarming.

We do have deadwood that needs to be shifted but at the same time, we are very light in key areas and could really do with strengthening now rather than in the summer if we are serious about challenging for the title.

Midfield:

Our current first choice midfield 3 is Davis, Jack and Kamara, given how we always play one of Aribo or Arifled in the advanced role on the right, we more often than not only have 1 midfield option on the bench. We are one injury or suspension away from having absolutely no adequate cover.

Winger/Wide#10:

With all due respect to Jones, Barker and Ojo, they are either not suited to our system or flat out not good enough in at least one case.

We are a Kent injury away from a crisis on the left and have no viable options to go with two conventional wingers should we ever feel the need.

Striker:

Morelos is the best player in the league by a distance in my opinion however is prone to suspension, it doesn't matter if you take the view that he's refereed to a different standard or it's all his fault(I dont know why you'd think this) but it's fact.

Defoe is a top finisher but at his age, a simple hamstring injury could end his season, potentially even his career if it became a recurring problem.

I've seen lots of people say that you can't sign someone to come here and happily sit in the stand as 3rd choice, that is absolute nonsense as you sign players to compete for places, not concede them.

Left Back:

Barisic is the difference between our league position this year compared to last, the gulf in quality between him and Halliday/Flanagan is too big, we need someone who plays in a similar style.

If you want a striker good enough to come here and compete with Defoe and Morelos you would need to be partying with a huge wedge of cash. If you are talking about a Shankland type of player he would be worth the punt but still Cost some cash, I would rather keep our powered dry for a player we really want or need

I keep seeing our management say that the squad needs to be trimmed and we will add 1 player maximum, I find this to be extremely alarming.

We do have deadwood that needs to be shifted but at the same time, we are very light in key areas and could really do with strengthening now rather than in the summer if we are serious about challenging for the title.

Midfield:

Our current first choice midfield 3 is Davis, Jack and Kamara, given how we always play one of Aribo or Arifled in the advanced role on the right, we more often than not only have 1 midfield option on the bench. We are one injury or suspension away from having absolutely no adequate cover.

Winger/Wide#10:

With all due respect to Jones, Barker and Ojo, they are either not suited to our system or flat out not good enough in at least one case.

We are a Kent injury away from a crisis on the left and have no viable options to go with two conventional wingers should we ever feel the need.

Striker:

Morelos is the best player in the league by a distance in my opinion however is prone to suspension, it doesn't matter if you take the view that he's refereed to a different standard or it's all his fault(I dont know why you'd think this) but it's fact.

Defoe is a top finisher but at his age, a simple hamstring injury could end his season, potentially even his career if it became a recurring problem.

I've seen lots of people say that you can't sign someone to come here and happily sit in the stand as 3rd choice, that is absolute nonsense as you sign players to compete for places, not concede them.

Left Back:

Barisic is the difference between our league position this year compared to last, the gulf in quality between him and Halliday/Flanagan is too big, we need someone who plays in a similar style.
You had that all typed out and pre prepared waiting on a poor performance didn't you.

It does feel like it would be a little naive to not get one or two reinforcements in. Agree completely about LB, Barisic gets injured we're fucked. I put the 2 points dropped at pittodrie down to him not playing.

Necro - in your diatribe you missed off anything about Patterson and yet you were whining about him not starting.

OP your post echoes my sentiments on the match thread. If we are struggling to break Stranraer and St Mirren at Ibrox then creative players need targeted to come in. I can't think of any names but there must be solid players in the EPL not getting a regular name we can grab for 6mths

Greg Stewart would've played tonight and done well I reckon. Him back and Jones recapturing early euro form and I think a lot of fears will be quelled, but there's no guarantee and there's rumours of Jones even being sold. Ojo looks ok coming from the bench, Barker is just an empty jersey unfortunately. Like Barisic, an injury to Aribo or, God forbid, Kent and we are struggling big time.

Necro - in your diatribe you missed off anything about Patterson and yet you were whining about him not starting.
You either don't know what diatribe means or you're incredibly defensive about the state of our squad.

I didn't mention Patterson because I'd be perfectly happy with him as Tav cover until the end of the season

I can't see us signing anyone but in a "would like to have" situation I'd like another striker coming in.

We will be fine.

You cany expect 38 games of perfection.

We won the game and I dont think we will play worse this season.

I'm definitely concerned we don't have enough creativity in our squad.

Perhaps the poor overall quality of our last two games will make the management team rethink their current stance.

We will be fine.

You cany expect 38 games of perfection.

We won the game and I dont think we will play worse this season.
I don't know why people think this is in response to tonight's game, we could have won 8-0 and the concerns would still be there.

Tonight might have highlighted the need for a few new faces but it's not the reason

You either don't know what diatribe means or you're incredibly defensive about the state of our squad.

I didn't mention Patterson because I'd be perfectly happy with him as Tav cover until the end of the season

a forceful and bitter verbal attack against someone or something. - there you go.

Bollocks op, there is no way we wre changing this squad. New players need bedding in , thats what cost us last year when Davis and Defoe got shoehorned in whole lacking in sharpness.

I'm definitely concerned we don't have enough creativity in our squad.

Perhaps the poor overall quality of our last two games will make the management team rethink their current stance.

Get rid of the midfield and swap them with whom?

In January sales you aren't going to get a player that will take the team to another level. Maybe someone who can step in if someone is injured.

We're still short of a quality attacker imo. Last 2 games have realky highlighted this (and yes, appreciate no Alfie of Tav is a contributing factor).

Whether that be a creative midfielder with an eye for a goal, a wide player or a striker who offers is something different, I think there a big risk of us being completely toothless in games like tonight if Alfie or Kent are missing for an extended period.

I like Aribo a lot but neither him or any of our 4 main midfielders are likely to hit 10-15 goals per season. And unfortunately, none of our back up front 3 players have proven themselves to be good enough so far (with JD the obvious exception).

So aye, I would say this absolutely has to be addressed this window or else we could find ourselves facing many an anxious game before the end of the season.

Started early on the match thread when you saw Flanagan was playing and were probably desperate for him to sell the jerseys in the last 5 minutes. He didn't, so you wrote this instead.

Well done.

As long as we keep our first 11 fit and available there won't be a problem. Remember they have only signed 2 players 1 for 3.5 m and the other for 2m allegedly. The CF isn't going to displace Édouard and the other guy won't move Brown, McGregor or Christie. So they haven't improved their first 11.
Win the game in hand and were top. Also, apart from tonight we have been overpowering teams, including them.

Started early on the match thread when you saw Flanagan was playing and were probably desperate for him to sell the jerseys in the last 5 minutes. He didn't, so you wrote this instead.

Well done.
Yeah, I was absolutely desperate for him to have a stinker and blow our chances for the title.

The only thing that concerns me with the team atm is that the midfield 3 when they play like tonight are too similar, neat footballers but no real pace or threat of scoring. Against stuff like we faced tonight it would be nice to change it up a bit. Besides that the squad is fine, perhaps another striker to bed in for next season , but it’s not football manager.

Midfield:

Winger/Wide#10:

Striker:

Left Back:

All excellent points mate, looked our bench tonight and it's a massive worry

What's forceful or bitter about this post?

More importantly, what do you actually disagree with about it?

"Deadwood"???

Given that we will be top if we win the game in hand it is hardly panic stations.

Tonight was shite but as a player what happens a lot is that you sometimes go down to their level. Hence our pedestrian pace. Free kicks sideways or backwards etc. Virtually the same team tanned the mentally challengeds and everyone loved it.

Back