A Lack of Signings This Window Could Kill Our Season

I keep seeing our management say that the squad needs to be trimmed and we will add 1 player maximum, I find this to be extremely alarming.

We do have deadwood that needs to be shifted but at the same time, we are very light in key areas and could really do with strengthening now rather than in the summer if we are serious about challenging for the title.

Midfield:

Our current first choice midfield 3 is Davis, Jack and Kamara, given how we always play one of Aribo or Arifled in the advanced role on the right, we more often than not only have 1 midfield option on the bench. We are one injury or suspension away from having absolutely no adequate cover.

Winger/Wide#10:

With all due respect to Jones, Barker and Ojo, they are either not suited to our system or flat out not good enough in at least one case.

We are a Kent injury away from a crisis on the left and have no viable options to go with two conventional wingers should we ever feel the need.

Striker:

Morelos is the best player in the league by a distance in my opinion however is prone to suspension, it doesn't matter if you take the view that he's refereed to a different standard or it's all his fault(I dont know why you'd think this) but it's fact.

Defoe is a top finisher but at his age, a simple hamstring injury could end his season, potentially even his career if it became a recurring problem.

I've seen lots of people say that you can't sign someone to come here and happily sit in the stand as 3rd choice, that is absolute nonsense as you sign players to compete for places, not concede them.

Left Back:

Barisic is the difference between our league position this year compared to last, the gulf in quality between him and Halliday/Flanagan is too big, we need someone who plays in a similar style.
I agree those are the priorities. However, judging by the managers comments, we'll be lucky to get one player in. The biggest priority for me is someone who can play along the front line. With Alfie out we have no one of sufficient quality on the bench.

Don’t think even having Alfie on would’ve made much difference tonight, too many poor performances.

I think you might be underestimating the importance Alfie has on our front 3. His movement, ability to drag defenders out of position, ability to hold it in, ability to take a man on. Defoe for all his predictor qualities, offers nothing to the players around him in creating or set up chances.

Define a Tavenier boo boy?

Someone who consistently is quick to get on his back when he made a mistake but no where to be seen or heard from when he has a good game.

I don’t see what’s so hard to understand with that?

Edit - Tonight also showed that he was missed massively on the park tonight tell me you can see that?

We need better cover for right back, left back and definitely need another striker. Getting Stewart and Jones fully fit should take care of cover mid to front.

Bollocks op, there is no way we wre changing this squad. New players need bedding in , thats what cost us last year when Davis and Defoe got shoehorned in whole lacking in sharpness.

We didn't lose the league last season because of bringing in Davis and Defoe. Shoe horns or not.

The whole season turned to mush at Killie, with the most preposterous goal we've ever conceded. Then the whole team turned to mush.

There's a difference this time. However, I agree, we need an attacker in there to help the old guy and the young un'.

I think we should have kept Hardie for this season. A creative CAM and a younger striker to develop into a number 2 next season I would say are the priorities.

Someone who consistently is quick to get on his back when he made a mistake but no where to be seen or heard from when he has a good game.

I don’t see what’s so hard to understand with that?

Edit - Tonight also showed that he was missed massively on the park tonight tell me you can see that?

I'm obviously more thick skinned than you.

I'm not a boo boy, but have been critical of his defending at times. Like from 2015.

For me defending is his first duty and the wonderful crosses - from time to time- are a bonus.

I think at times guys like yourself are trying to create a rift that is simply not there.

We all want the guy to be successful.

We all want him to walk away as a winner with us.

Was there a difference in our play tonight, especially up that right wing? Yes we saw it.

In a strange way, you could argue that signing players in January last year hampered us (while helping us long term)
We shoehorned Defoe and Davis in at Killie and we were generally poor that day, yes worrall made a mistake as did McGregor but we weren’t at it.
I feel we 100% need a player, be it a striker or someone as comfortable in behind as they are up front. The thought of going to Tynecastle without a striker had anything happened to Defoe gave me the fear

Davis and Defoe were long term signings IMO and obviously worked out well.

We could be doing with cover for Borna that’s for sure

I just want someone to link up with attack and midfield. Supposing it’s a 5 or 6 million pound player who was due to come in the summer the. Go for him now and at least do all we can for 55 this year

We’ve a strong first choice starting 11, after that the squad is quite light.

Badly missed Alfie and Tav tonight.

Think we need to add more strength and depth to the squad if we are to be serious title contenders.

I keep seeing our management say that the squad needs to be trimmed and we will add 1 player maximum, I find this to be extremely alarming.

We do have deadwood that needs to be shifted but at the same time, we are very light in key areas and could really do with strengthening now rather than in the summer if we are serious about challenging for the title.

Midfield:

Our current first choice midfield 3 is Davis, Jack and Kamara, given how we always play one of Aribo or Arifled in the advanced role on the right, we more often than not only have 1 midfield option on the bench. We are one injury or suspension away from having absolutely no adequate cover.

Winger/Wide#10:

With all due respect to Jones, Barker and Ojo, they are either not suited to our system or flat out not good enough in at least one case.

We are a Kent injury away from a crisis on the left and have no viable options to go with two conventional wingers should we ever feel the need.

Striker:

Morelos is the best player in the league by a distance in my opinion however is prone to suspension, it doesn't matter if you take the view that he's refereed to a different standard or it's all his fault(I dont know why you'd think this) but it's fact.

Defoe is a top finisher but at his age, a simple hamstring injury could end his season, potentially even his career if it became a recurring problem.

I've seen lots of people say that you can't sign someone to come here and happily sit in the stand as 3rd choice, that is absolute nonsense as you sign players to compete for places, not concede them.

Left Back:

Barisic is the difference between our league position this year compared to last, the gulf in quality between him and Halliday/Flanagan is too big, we need someone who plays in a similar style.
If Defoe picks up an injury when Alfie's out ,who do we play as a striker, even signing Shankland when we had the chance as a back up wouldnt have cost much.

We are lacking fire power.

From the midfield to the forwards.

We need quality in or our title hopes will go up in flames.

This title win would be priceless Rangers we need to sanction something and not be caught cold.

We are crying out for a striker and attacking midfielder and I genuinely think we will slip up in home games like tonight if we dont
No striker good enough is going to come here in January and sit on the bench and hardly get near a game with the form Morelos is in.

The squad has got about 26 players, how many do fans think we need. Jeeeezo - don’t need any more and don’t need to piss money up against a wall. We’ve done that. Clear the deadwood and back the players that have got us here. Don’t need any squad players. Then freshen it up in the summer.

Team is crying out for freshness. If another striker comes in a Defoe drops out so be it.

We should be looking to the summer anyway - get players in now a la Davies, Kamara, Defoe last year

You had that all typed out and pre prepared waiting on a poor performance didn't you.
What part of the OPs signing suggestions isnt well thought out? We have been linked with Majer and a couple strikers and many posters have wanted us to add them. So how is this any different?

The squad has got about 26 players, how many do fans think we need. Jeeeezo - don’t need any more and don’t need to piss money up against a wall. We’ve done that. Clear the deadwood and back the players that have got us here. Don’t need any squad players. Then freshen it up in the summer.
I think most fans just want some good options from the bench to switch it up when we need something different. Do you remember our only answer to drawing 2-2 at Aberdeen was to bring on Ojo? We need a higher quality bench.

I think most fans just want some good options from the bench to switch it up when we need something different. Do you remember our only answer to drawing 2-2 at Aberdeen was to bring on Ojo? We need a higher quality bench.
Can’t just keep signing player after player. We’ve got two quality strikers. Not many teams have three quality strikers. We’ve been in the doldrums and can’t expect to keep signing players. Squad is recklessly big and needs the deadwood clearing

We haven’t lost a game in 16. Our last league game was playing them off the park at the theatre of screams. Any other season and we would be running away with the league. Unfortunately the rest of the league are a pot of piss. If we are to win this, it will be this core of players. I’d sign a striker if Stewart is out for a while. If not we can go with what we have.

Whenever he plays we seem to lack a certain physicality and focal point to our attack. He's a great finisher and exactly the guy you want on the end of stuff, but outwith that he doesn't do much. We also really need to stop floating crosses in to him, he's 5'7 %^*& sake.

Too often we are stuck playing tons of passes side to side with no penetration at all. Defoe is working his tail off but it's impossible to get him the ball at times and then eventually we have one bad touch and it all breaks down-especially when we get stuck forcing it into the middle where there is little to no space.
I also agree that it drives me nuts that we hit crosses in Defoe into the box when it is loaded with big CBs ready to drive it into next week!

A bit dramatic OP, this group of players have been excellent so far and our fitness dept can take some credit for that, of course you can't legislate for injuries occurring but you can reduce the likelihood and we seem to be doing that well.

As for lack of numbers, you have a point but Gerrard has signed a fair few players who are not playing, at some point the board should expect him to utilise them, ie Edmundson (possible backup DM?) and Stewart (take your pick of positions in the forward line), you could add in Barker (I do have concerns about him at the moment). I always welcome new signings and of course we should look to improve the team always but I also think the gaffer should be held accountable for those he's already signed and are not getting game time, before signing more bench warmers.

If you play for us you expect to earn your place and not be guaranteed a start .. Defoe ffs
Where am I saying otherwise?

I'm just saying that players sign for clubs confident that they will earn that place, nobody settles on being a 3rd choice. It's a silly argument.

We're still short of a quality attacker imo. Last 2 games have realky highlighted this (and yes, appreciate no Alfie of Tav is a contributing factor).

Whether that be a creative midfielder with an eye for a goal, a wide player or a striker who offers is something different, I think there a big risk of us being completely toothless in games like tonight if Alfie or Kent are missing for an extended period.

I like Aribo a lot but neither him or any of our 4 main midfielders are likely to hit 10-15 goals per season. And unfortunately, none of our back up front 3 players have proven themselves to be good enough so far (with JD the obvious exception).

So aye, I would say this absolutely has to be addressed this window or else we could find ourselves facing many an anxious game before the end of the season.
Who would you buy that cuts through a ten man defence ?

Where am I saying otherwise?

I'm just saying that players sign for clubs confident that they will earn that place, nobody settles on being a 3rd choice. It's a silly argument.
I’m maybe answering the wrong bear, but my answer is true to anyone, Defoe wouldn’t have sat on a bench for any other club (especially in Scotland,whatever age he is) but he will gladly do it for us and stevie.. don’t want to argue with like minded ppl but can see we are coming back with a bang and the bog trotters know it (and can’t handle it ) so all is good

It's rare than you will find someone of Jermaine Defoe's ability to sit on the bench. Bench warmers will be of the Brandon Barker and Ojo variety and, as we've found out, they won't contribute much. it's a tricky one.

If we can get a Davis/Defoe level of player on a loan i'd take it, but if we're just taking someone on for the sake of it then I don't see the point. I do have concerns over the injuries and suspensions that are going to come our way.

It's rare than you will find someone of Jermaine Defoe's ability to sit on the bench. Bench warmers will be of the Brandon Barker and Ojo variety and, as we've found out, they won't contribute much. it's a tricky one.

If we can get a Davis/Defoe level of player on a loan i'd take it, but if we're just taking someone on for the sake of it then I don't see the point. I do have concerns over the injuries and suspensions that are going to come our way.
The number one spot upfront is up for grabs in the summer, the idea that nobody would come is absolutely nonsense mate.

What part of the OPs signing suggestions isnt well thought out? We have been linked with Majer and a couple strikers and many posters have wanted us to add them. So how is this any different?
What are you slabbering about?
Are you sure you’re quoting the correct post?
I was responding to the fact his lengthy post was posted literally on the final whistle, all typed out and ready to post.
F uck knows why your feathers are ruffled.

We need a player that can unlock a defence with a pass.

We have that in Davis and Jack. We need players that want to run at defenders and beat them.

Last night was our problem in a nutshell - Kent and Aribo attacking, then stopping, then cutting back inside, and by then the momentum is lost.

We need to be braver and more direct against sides that sit in like that.

Any signings we make at this stage would be coming in knowing that they won't be guaranteed first team football straight away and that puts off the tried and tested players. So that leaves us with youngsters and taking risks on guys who haven't had a sniff all season. Or of course the 'loan market' .

Agree that we need a back up leftback. Again would need to be a sort of project player considering the form Barisic is currently on. Maybe another jaunt to Eastern Europe could be the answer for that. Mihai Velisar, 20 year old lad Romanian who plays in the Romanian League. Is someone I've heard good things about but I haven't watched him play.

On the striker front, I can see the reasons why so many are calling for it but again it would need to be another project type player. Not many strikers we would bring in at this stage displaces Morelos or Defoe to be honest. Possibly another Stewart type player with a bit more pace about him could be the answer. A guy that fills two roles in the squad, through the middle and out wide right. Can see why we are so heavily linked to Tyrese Campbell. However we'd need to pay to get him up the road. I don't see us going out and signing a guy like Maric until the summer. Haven't heard anything on that young Egyptian striker for a while either. Going after someone like Shankland at this time in the season would cost us a relative fortune for what we would be getting.

The link to Majer has gone cold. Could mean that we are holding off to the summer or could mean we've been priced out. Either way, it's not a deal we'll get done with this much time left in the window. I think we've got decent enough depth in midfield, barring an utterly horrendous injury streak, I think we've got enough to work with there.

Would like another striker. Who is going to come knowing they are going to have limited chances when Alfredo is fit though.

It’s an absolute certainty Morelos will get suspended again meaning another chunk of games missed. That is the biggest worry for me.

What are you slabbering about?
Are you sure you’re quoting the correct post?
I was responding to the fact his lengthy post was posted literally on the final whistle, all typed out and ready to post.
F uck knows why your feathers are ruffled.
Bit rich coming from someone who felt the need to be snide about this post, no?

You still haven't actually engaged with it, all you've contributed is that the timing apparently makes it worthless.

A striker and another midfielder

Hope all the Tavernier boo boys were watching that game tonight

The real pity was that Patterson was watching that game tonight. Lopsided and predictable. Barisic was excellent and we needed a similar forward going outlet on the right

We all were. And he was missed. But Patterson was worth a go ahead of Flanagan but the management team played it too cagily.
maybe the management team saw that the game on Friday took a lot out of the boy physically and mentally and decided it would be best for him not to play

I think we need a bit of added quality in the final third/attacking area.

With Morelos out we are a completely different side. Tavernier out and it's even less quality in the side.

Losing Morelos for any length of time is unthinkable.

We've got a long second half of the season coming out. Suspensions, injuries, loss of form, fatigue, pressure.

Settle Settle Bears we won the game!! Its murder to see a team last night camp in so much and smother the game!! Only gripe i have is our lack of trying shooting from distance. Its 3 points more than last years first game back. Onwards to Hearts now.

Bit rich coming from someone who felt the need to be snide about this post, no?

You still haven't actually engaged with it, all you've contributed is that the timing apparently makes it worthless.
If we’d played a blinder in the second half your post would have went into cold storage.

Back