A little clarity on the Ibrox Disaster

My old man was one of the injured.

His brother pulled him out from the carnage and saved his life.

He was awarded £120 from the disaster fund but donated half of It for the families of the deceased.

As an 11 year old I still remember my frantic mother on the phone waiting on news as the story broke on tv.

It beggars belief that Celtc and Aberdeen fans can poke fun at such a heartbreaking event.

Scum.

I was one of the lucky wee boys who's dad came home from the game as he and my uncle were almost at the bottom of stairway 13 when colin Stein scored sadly other kids weren't so lucky re there dad coming home
What has angered me more than anything for years is the disgusting song the sheep sing mocking the disaster and not once have they been taking to task

Dad never talks about it and having stood next to him at several minutes silence tributes I know how it affected him. My mum will if pressed will mention just how worried she was given he left and went for his usual session after the game not realising the tragedy that unfolded.
Those blaming social media must be younger than myself as some of the bile I rememeber and disruption of the tributes was well before that. Those Celtic fans of his era i know would be nothing but respectful and similar to how I feel about Hillsburgh (in the Jungle that day myself) always feel raw considering fellow football fans.

I had posted this on the 'mocking stickers on the disaster' thread but it is just as appropriate here as to the mindset of the modern Celtic supporter and certain Celtic management.

When their manager Neil Lennon does not appear from the tunnel for the minute's silence on the 40th anniversary of the Ibrox Disaster in 2011, it gives the low life the insidious approval to behave as they want in relation to the disaster. No Respect, No Dignity and No Compassion for the innocent dead and the bereaved.

I have no recollection of the disaster as I was only 2. My parents stayed in Cairnlea Drive and my grandparents round in Harrison Drive. My dad and grampa were supposed to go and would have used stairway 13 as it came out almost at the corner of the street. They were too hungover from New Year so didn't go. My gran's house had the only phone on that block of flats, so a lot of reporters were phoning in the latest. Everyone also made tea and food for the police on guard as it was cold and foggy.

Back