A managers shelf life

Marcellus Wallace

I've got Big Balls
As much as it hurt to lose Gerard, the signs had been there all season that we didn’t hit anything like the same levels.
I think there’s a argument to replace a manager every 3 or 4 years even if they are successful.
Players get bored listening to the same voices every day and doing the same routines.
Managers tactics also get found out after a while.
Gio’s early impact backs this theory up albeit fans don’t really want managers to go if we’re winning trophies.
There won’t be another Walter so maybe we shouldn’t be so devastated when a non-Rangers man chooses to go elsewhere?

As much as it hurt to lose Gerard, the signs had been there all season that we didn’t hit anything like the same levels.
I think there’s a argument to replace a manager every 3 or 4 years even if they are successful.
Players get bored listening to the same voices every day and doing the same routines.
Gio’s early impact backs this theory up albeit fans don’t really want managers to go if we’re winning trophies.
There won’t be another Walter so maybe we shouldn’t be so devastated when a non-Rangers man chooses to go elsewhere?
The alternative is the manager freshens up the team. Walter was the master of that.

I think it's bound to happen anyway, if a manager is successful they'll be in demand and will likely move on. If on the other hand they don't do so well they'll be replaced. The days of Fergie and Wenger are long gone.

Who knows what the future holds. There's every possibility a Rangers supporting Scottish man brings as much success as Walter did, could be an obscure bloke playing football right now for some diddy club.

I think managers need replaced every 3-4 years for the teams benefit and their own progression.

Motivation, player loyalty and tactical awareness means the players would become stale, the tactics are beatable and the same style of motivational speaking becomes tedious to the players.

Ferguson, Wenger, our own legend in Sir Walter, will rarely be equalled.

Absolutely OP. Have said it many times on here.

Pedro was spot on with the ‘football cycles’ patter.

I also think the same goes for players in the modern day, unless they have an allegiance to the club or city.

Usually there is a conveyor belt of players leaving and coming in during those said years so that shouldn’t really be a problem.

3-4 years is right.

We also didn’t follow the age old rule of adding one or two genuine top quality players.

Reenergise the squad, lift the levels and throw down a gauntlet.

Our last 2 transfer windows have been fairly average

3-4 years is right.

We also didn’t follow the age old rule of adding one or two genuine top quality players.

Reenergise the squad, lift the levels and throw down a gauntlet.

Our last 2 transfer windows have been fairly average

Time will tell on that.

Sakala is starting to show his worth, Bacuna looks to have bags of potential and I am not writing off Lundstrum just yet.

If we are ever to have a manager last 10 years or more then I think it will end up being a Rangers man who’s life’s ambition is to live and breathe Rangers. We all know there’s plenty of those guys going around but who knows who that special person will actually be.

I think managers need replaced every 3-4 years for the teams benefit and their own progression.

Motivation, player loyalty and tactical awareness means the players would become stale, the tactics are beatable and the same style of motivational speaking becomes tedious to the players.

Ferguson, Wenger, our own legend in Sir Walter, will rarely be equalled.
Ferguson was prone to switching coaches about and occasionally assistants to keep things fresh

Wenger similar I think

Pep is also prone to have different opinions in dressing room

The biggest thing is leaders in the dressing room

Walter was known to let the players deal with then manage them from that.

The common theme is that these managers arnt afraid of big personality in the dressing room and switched players a lot.

Smith always brought in new players that changed things up in the dressing room.

That is maybe where we failed this year we needed to recruit something fresh and different and phase them in over this year if not already a gteed starter.

Players build up cliques as much as anything and it can be detrimental you need to always xadd better players to improve the ones you have

I would say every 3/4 years in the modern age
For most managers it's a case of survival. Those at the top have the advantage of money to burn.
There are those who don't help themselves by failing to recognise when some players have peaked and need shipped out or have a blind spot to the bombscares they keep picking.
Some get lucky for a season or so but that only raises expectations that can't be fulfilled.

The alternative is the manager freshens up the team. Walter was the master of that.

I think that's it.

A manager can only get so much out of a group of players. Which means you either change the manager, or you change the players.

With Gerrard he'd retained the same core squad for 3 years, with no big sales and only really squad players coming in. At this point in the season we couldn't change the team, so the change in manager worked well for us.

Hindsight and all that, but it does look now as if Gerrard mentally checked out a bit after winning the league last year which in turn caused a bit of a malaise throughout the team.

I think Malmo was the final straw for him in terms of wanting a move back down south.

Back