A modern progressive fan base

Blue Tack

Nothing would bother our haters more than if we got our house in order and behaved in the way our club wishes and what a chance we have to grasp it,the gaffer has indicated he wants us to be a modern progressive club with an elite environment for players to work in ,we have to go right down the line with him here and match those ambitions as a fan base ,if we don’t we will lose him ,we will have this ball and chain around us forever weighing us down ,let’s match the gaffers ambitions and get on board and become that modern progressive fan base that matches up to our recent media campaign ,everyone and anyone should feel welcome about supporting the Rangers .

The east end of the city will be left light years behind if we grasp this chance .

Let’s go

The truth is, apart from the songs, our support has made huge strides in becoming one of the most exemplary and well behaved anywhere in Europe.
All of that has occurred whilst simultaneously being rhetorically kicked in the teeth off the park in a manner that would have broken many a support.

Look at The Filth last week, one set back in Europe and the missiles fly onto the park.
There is your real football hooligan story there is your real problem in Scotland.
There is the support that really needs to be sorted for the safety of players and spectators alike.
There is where no one in the Scottish MSM will ever look.

Exactly. Our rivals in the east End have dictated the location of the battlefield for too long. We have caught up with them on the pitch and now they are trying to move it off the pitch. Stop singing anything that hurts us. Do the bidding of Steven Gerrard, and do what helps the team. Don't play into the hands of the molesters. Don't shoot ourselves on the foot. Behave vocally, and the focus will have to move back onto the pitch. That's what Sellik don't want. Do it.

I wish these self-proclaimed ‘modern and progressive’ types would fuck off and leave football and associated working class fan culture alone.

Things were just fine before the permanently offended social justice brigade butted their nose in and started their ridiculous nonsense.

It’s fast becoming a soulless corporate shell of a sport with the fans - who are the lifeblood of the sport - treated with utter contempt by these new self appointed guardians of the game

I wish these self-proclaimed ‘modern and progressive’ types would fuck off and leave football and associated working class fan culture alone.

Things were just fine before the permanently offended social justice brigade butted their nose in and started their ridiculous nonsense.

It’s fast becoming a soulless corporate shell of a sport with the fans - who are the lifeblood of the sport - treated with utter contempt by these new self appointed guardians of the game
This.

Absolutely nothing wrong with our club and our fans behaving like citizens of the 21st century.
Support your club fervently and passionately but leave the bile and bigotry behind.
Is that too much to expect?...and I'm saying that not as a lentil munching hunk but as someone who's seen it, done it and wore the bunnet from the 60's onwards!

Nothing would bother our haters more than if we got our house in order and behaved in the way our club wishes and what a chance we have to grasp it,the gaffer has indicated he wants us to be a modern progressive club with an elite environment for players to work in ,we have to go right down the line with him here and match those ambitions as a fan base ,if we don’t we will lose him ,we will have this ball and chain around us forever weighing us down ,let’s match the gaffers ambitions and get on board and become that modern progressive fan base that matches up to our recent media campaign ,everyone and anyone should feel welcome about supporting the Rangers .

The east end of the city will be left light years behind if we grasp this chance .

Let’s go

Exactly this!

There is nothing that cel'ic fans want more than for us to sing the songs as they know it will get us hammered by UEFA, allow them to say 'see how much catholics are hated in Scotland' and drag our name through the mud.

Our haters would hate nothing more than us getting our act together and getting plaudits from neutrals from our travels abroad just like NI fans now. And if we brought colour and song without the offensive terms it would allow us to attract more supporters from outwith our 'natural support', making us stronger.

The songs are damaging our Club in more ways than one.

Absolutely nothing wrong with our club and our fans behaving like citizens of the 21st century.
Support your club fervently and passionately but leave the bile and bigotry behind.
Is that too much to expect?...and I'm saying that not as a lentil munching hunk but as someone who's seen it, done it and wore the bunnet from the 60's onwards!
*when did "sn*wflake be auto corrected to hunk?
:)

I'm working class and I've no interest in singing about hating any group of people if it's going to get Rangers in trouble.

If you want to sing about hating catholics then do it in a pub or at home, don't do it anywhere that can cause damage to Rangers.

Not much we can do about changing that though?

I’m intrigued why associated working class culture means singing about the pope and 19th Century Terrorists? Can’t we just sing loud and proud in other ways, or are you saying as a support base we have an inability to listen to uefa? Whilst the point about football being a corporate shell is true, it’s been true since sky took over the epl in the 90s. And it’s for little to do with our fans inability to change a song sheet.

The truth is, apart from the songs, our support has made huge strides in becoming one of the most exemplary and well behaved anywhere in Europe.
All of that has occurred whilst simultaneously being rhetorically kicked in the teeth off the park in a manner that would have broken many a support.

Look at The Filth last week, one set back in Europe and the missiles fly onto the park.
There is your real football hooligan story there is your real problem in Scotland.
There is the support that really needs to be sorted for the safety of players and spectators alike.
There is where no one in the Scottish MSM will ever look.
We genuinely are a pretty well behaved fanbase, in European terms at least.

Just this week in the Europa League Frankfurt knocked a barrier down & attack Strasburg fans, whilst Slovan Bratislava were involved in running battles with the police in the stadium, with one fan losing an eye via a rubber bullet.

But, songs.

Viola, I get where you are coming from and I agree to an extent....BUT the simple fact is that if we continue to sing these songs and add ons our club will be punished beyond repair. Is that what you want? So, let's ditch a few songs, replace them with others and support this team to 55. We can wipe the floor with this league this year. I am convinced of it. If you and others want to sing these songs do it in amongst your peers in the pubs and clubs which allow it and where it is accepted and welcomed. That way you enjoy it and it doesn't affect our great club. Let's go.

I think 'working class culture' is the one favoured from the 60s. Half of Ibrox and the cost of going to games is aspiring middle class or working class with decent disposable income.....the working class is the working poor these days. Not one thing and plenty of people can't afford or afford the time to make games.

I don't believe in culture wars arguments or absolutism. You can adapt and change whilst holding on to those values at your core. No one like us we don't care but we have to tread carefully getting in folks faces ie UEFA proves nothing.

Just this week in the Europa League Frankfurt knocked a barrier down & attack Strasburg fans, whilst Slovan Bratislava were involved in running battles with the police in the stadium, with one fan losing an eye via a rubber bullet.

But, songs.
Totally bang on bud. UEFA are ignoring the real public safety issues and going for the easy targets. We are in a world of the mock offended. But we have to screw the nut or our club will get shafted. Simple.

But we ARE a modern and progressive fanbase. I had a load of black lads up with me the other week for the Derby match and they were surprised by how open and friendly our support was as they'd heard all sorts of horror stories. I myself have never had even a hint of anything untoward following Rangers all over the UK, people don't like to report that kind of thing though. Far easier for them to label us all as romper stompers.

But, songs.

Take responsibility ffs, like it or not the songs are against the rules. We might not agree with that but we enter the competition knowing the rules before hand.

Saying 'aye but they're doing something much worse' is childish and unhelpful.

I’m sorry but being told to stop singing ‘19th Century Terrorist bastards’ does not mean that working class fan culture is under attack. If anyone’s getting overly offended here it’s you, not the ‘social justice brigade’ as you put it.

I’m intrigued why associated working class culture means singing about the pope and 19th Century Terrorists? Can’t we just sing loud and proud in other ways, or are you saying as a support base we have an inability to listen to uefa? Whilst the point about football being a corporate shell is true, it’s been true since sky took over the epl in the 90s. And it’s for little to do with our fans inability to change a song sheet.
It’s not just about how certain words are interpreted or what we as a support do rightly or wrongly, it’s way more than that and football is becoming almost a nanny ‘state’ of a sport with UEFA and these ridiculous pressure groups well on the way dictating how fans should act, think and feel during games.

It can’t have escaped your notice that our very own rivals had a prominent banner display recently announcing they themselves were a ‘19th Century Terrorist army’, thus it beggars belief that we are continually under the microscope and in this case on the rack basically for using the same terminology. I agree these songs / phrases have to go - FTP in particular is increasingly absurd and pointless - as we simply cannot beat UEFA here and pragmatism is in order - have to box clever.

It’s merely my personal perspective in that these ‘woke’ interlopers are slowly ruining football as the sport I grew up with through the 80s/90s/00s.

All this fallout and mayhem over a fkn line in a song(s). It’s unreal

Last edited:
But we ARE a modern and progressive fanbase. I had a load of black lads up with me the other week for the Derby match and they were surprised by how open and friendly our support was as they'd heard all sorts of horror stories. I myself have never had even a hint of anything untoward following Rangers all over the UK, people don't like to report that kind of thing though. Far easier for them to label us all as romper stompers.

Were any of them catholic?!

We sing the songs, there is no denying it. We shout about being up to our knees in 19th Century Terrorist* blood and FTP.... while we're doing that we can't claim to be modern or progressive.

*I know 19th Century Terrorist isn't catholic but there is no need for it in this day and age.

What's 'working class fan culture' about stuff like FTP ?

Rangers can still honour plenty of it's traditions: Loyalist songs are still fine, things like inviting soldiers to games, having them parade,... are all still fine and won't go anywhere.

But there's a line and it has been crossed.

It’s not just about how certain words are interpreted or what we as a support do rightly or wrongly, it’s way more than that and football is becoming almost a nanny ‘state’ of a sport with UEFA and these ridiculous pressure groups well on the way dictating how fans should act, think and feel during games.

It can’t have escaped your notice that our very own rivals had a prominent banner display recently announcing they themselves were a ‘19th Century Terrorist army’, thus it beggars belief that we are continually under the microscope and in this case on the rack basically for using the same terminology. I agree these songs / phrases have to go as we simply cannot beat UEFA here and pragmatism is in order - have to box clever.

It’s merely my personal perspective in that these ‘woke’ interlopers are slowly ruining football as the sport I grew up with through the 80s/90s/00s.

All this fallout and mayhem over a fkn line in a song(s). It’s unreal

2 things. The banner by them was not in a uefa tournament so they can do nothing about it.

Second - all the gnashing of teeth will do nothing. You can hate it, think it’s so unfair, and uefa are ruining your enjoyment of football (quite why not being able to sing 19th Century Terrorist does that is a different discussion) - but the bottom line is it’s a fact if we continue we will %^*& our own club. Nothing is going to change that And if people continue to sing what they want hen I begin to question their motives

This is getting repetitive as %^*& now. Im sure everyones got the gist of not singing add ons, 19th Century Terrorist and ftp. Leave it at that, stop trying to force others beliefs

This is getting repetitive as %^*& now. Im sure everyones got the gist of not singing add ons, 19th Century Terrorist and ftp. Leave it at that, stop trying to force others beliefs
I'm afraid the day we stop trying to change some peoples perceptions of how "true" Rangers supporters behave to the detriment of the club is the day we effectively shoot ourselves in the balls!
This massive fan reaction to supporting cleaning up our act can't be a one day wonder...it has to be relentless, otherwise we're fcuked!

It’s either wrong for all clubs or it’s not wrong at all , one club cannot be allowed to be singled out and blamed as that’s what happening

The Scottish media are to blame for a lot of this , yes we sing naughty songs but so do other clubs that are just as bad

Either call it all out or don’t call it out at all , stop picking on Rangers and grow a set of balls

I along with many other Rangers fans find being called a “Hun “ highly offensive,

Nil by Mouth class it as a sectarian slur against Protestants but it’s widely used in a fun manner towards Rangers fans by many clubs and there’s never anything in the media about it

Everyone has a part to play if they’re serious about stopping sectarian singing but stop just picking on Rangers as by doing so you’re only exposing your own sectarian agenda

Singing glory songs about the IRA is highly offensive and should be classed as the same disgust these people find with the Billy Boys the sane with the anti British stuff that echos round Celtic park

It’s either all wrong or it’s not wrong at all , you can’t pick and chose what’s wrong as it will only piss people off and cause fans to finger point what about them

Last edited:
It’s either wrong for all clubs or it’s not wrong at all , one club cannot be allowed to be singled out and blamed as that’s what happening

The Scottish media are to blame for a lot of this , yes we sing naughty songs but so do other clubs that are just as bad

Either call it all out or don’t call it out at all , stop picking on Rangers and grow a set of balls

I along with many other Rangers fans find being called a “Hun “ highly offensive,

Nil by Mouth class it as a sectarian slur against Protestants but it’s widely used in a fun manner towards Rangers fans by many clubs and there’s never anything in the media about it

Everyone has a part to play if they’re serious about stopping sectarian singing but stop just picking on Rangers as by doing so you’re only exposing your own sectarian agenda
You're absolutely correct but we all know if this is brought up it will be dismissed as "whataboutery".
Of course it is but it doesn't make it any less relevant!
All we're looking for is a level playing field!

I’m sorry but being told to stop singing ‘19th Century Terrorist bastards’ does not mean that working class fan culture is under attack. If anyone’s getting overly offended here it’s you, not the ‘social justice brigade’ as you put it.
Their increasingly irritating and dominant presence in the game, as well as society in general, displeases me yes. However I always have a live and let live approach and turn the other cheek to their warped and skewered views of what constitutes identity or what’s deemed offensive or not. Sadly they aren’t quite as tolerant and it’s either their way or the highway. FARE are a prime example for this hypocrisy.

And it goes beyond this carry-on with our songs and how they are interpreted. Normal fans are being increasingly priced out the game, UEFA/FIFA are turning Euro’s and WC’s in event tourism for experience junkies from all corners of the globe whilst showing utter disregard for the rank and file fans whose devotion and passion have made football what it is over the years. Now you have stadiums full with posers and plastics from india, Arabian Gulf, East Asia and so on not because they are dedicated fans but because they have the biggest bank accounts. The English top flight is well on the way to becoming a similar ‘destination’ experience as evidenced by these tourist fans. The horse has bolted not only in us defending our own fan culture but also in terms of football being truly a game of the people as opposed to what it’s become in terms of a bloated corporate vanity project overseen by faceless (and corrupt) bureaucrats.

I guess things were better ‘back in my day’:rolleyes:

Fk Modern Football as they say. And UEFA whilst we’re at it

Last edited:
I'm totally in agreement with doing everything to stop our club being hit with any more sanctions not singing the offending songs stops them. no problem with that .
But I feel once these songs are eliminated we are still not safe because I think they will penalise us for singing songs they have never highlighted before .

Their increasingly irritating and dominant presence in the game, as well as society in general, displeases me yes. However I always have a live and let live approach and turn the other cheek to their warped and skewered views of what constitutes identity or what’s deemed offensive or not. Sadly they aren’t quite as tolerant and it’s either their way or the highway. FARE are a prime example for this hypocrisy.

Fk Modern Football as they say.
In your first post you say you want them to %^*& off and leave football alone. In your second post you say you have a live and let live approach. Well telling people who disagree with you to %^*& off and leave football doesn’t sound very ‘live and let live’ to me. You also say in your first post that ‘things were fine’ before the social justice brigade. I’m sure they were fine if you were white, straight and Protestant. But there are plenty people of different races/gender/religions for whom things weren’t fine, and they’ve all got as much right to support the club as you.

Edit: After I responded I noticed you’d made large additions to the post. I think your unhappiness with plastic fans from other parts of the world should be directed towards the clubs in question, and not the fans who buy into it after having hundreds of millions of pounds worth of marketing thrown at them.

Last edited:
I'm afraid the day we stop trying to change some peoples perceptions of how "true" Rangers supporters behave to the detriment of the club is the day we effectively shoot ourselves in the balls!
This massive fan reaction to supporting cleaning up our act can't be a one day wonder...it has to be relentless, otherwise we're fcuked![/QUOTE
What i said is enough. You're overreacting. The club wants 2 songs and those words stopped. I agree. You can't force others to deny their culture it's not upto you

In your first post you say you want them to %^*& off and leave football alone. In your second post you say you have a live and let live approach. Well telling people who disagree with you to %^*& off and leave football doesn’t sound very ‘live and let live’ to me. You also say in your first post that ‘things were fine’ before the social justice brigade. I’m sure they were fine if you were white, straight and Protestant. But there are plenty people of different races/gender/religions for whom things weren’t fine, and they’ve all got as much right to support the club as you pal.
I never bothered interfering much in their realms, they’re the ones who have appointed themselves as moral and cultural compasses of 21st century society and we are basically being straitjacketed into thinking and acting how these ‘moral guardians’ deem acceptable.

I’ve never had any problems with any ethnicities or cultural groupings supporting our club, bar the obvious one who aren’t actually a religious group per se but obviously are closely attached to the Irish nationalist community of which the majority are RC’s. That’s as far as it goes - I’m pretty sure you’d struggle to find a ‘19th Century Terrorist’ attending our games as a curious neutral anyhow. 19th Century Terrorist for me has always equated to Celtic and their associated Irish Nationlaist culture. Eff all to do with Catholicism globally.

Your trying to insinuate/warp what I’m saying here to suit your own agenda. What can’t be argued is that football is becoming an increasingly sanitised and tedious sport for the grass roots fan. Perhaps you are quite comfortable with this and appreciate the fact the passion, intensity and associated ‘danger’ is being slowly sucked out the sport and it’s a more controlled to environment, each to their own I guess. But as I said at the outset I wish such elements weren’t at play and football was allowed to operate without as much meddling as it is faced with today

The problem we have is that our very existence is offensive to a lot of people in our country. We also have a Government who would rather we weren't here.

Absolutely this.

%^*& modern football and the hipster wanks.

Absolutely this!! Reason I enjoy following Millwall up and down England because it's the last bastion of a support base that genuinely doesn't give a %^*&.

This post pretty much nails it for me

I never bothered interfering much in their realms, they’re the ones who have appointed themselves as moral and cultural compasses of 21st century society and we are basically being straitjacketed into thinking and acting how these ‘moral guardians’ deem acceptable.

I’ve never had any problems with any ethnicities or cultural groupings supporting our club, bar the obvious one who aren’t actually a religious group per se but obviously are closely attached to the Irish nationalist community of which the majority are RC’s. That’s as far as it goes - I’m pretty sure you’d struggle to find a ‘19th Century Terrorist’ attending our games as a curious neutral anyhow. 19th Century Terrorist for me has always equated to Celtic and their associated Irish Nationlaist culture. Eff all to do with Catholicism globally.

Your trying to insinuate/warp what I’m saying here to suit your own agenda. What can’t be argued is that football is becoming an increasingly sanitised and tedious sport for the grass roots fan. Perhaps you are quite comfortable with this and appreciate the fact the passion, intensity and associated ‘danger’ is being slowly sucked out the sport and it’s a more controlled to environment, each to their own I guess. But as I said at the outset I wish such elements weren’t at play and football was allowed to operate without as much meddling as it is faced with today
I’m not saying there isn’t merit to some of the points you’re making about football becoming more sanitised, but a lot of what you’ve said is incredibly dismissive of anyone who doesn’t share view your world view, and reads as a defence of the songs we’ve been banned from singing, when in reality we can’t sing them, regardless of individual supporters opinions on them.

Let’s go
Excellent post. This would leave the haters really confused!!!

If your singing the words 19th Century Terrorist as in the super rangers song or the pope as in ONPOR then you are not part of a progressive modern fan base ,you’re sat in the dark ages clinging onto your King Billy dish towel determined they won’t rip the fabric of the good ol days of yore from your heart ,and to be frank you are part of the problem even if you may not see it .

You can only take resentment ,you can’t give it .

This “change” we are talking about making will be an absolute gut wrencher for some people ,they may feel their very identity is being ripped away ,but I’ll be honest I wouldn’t want that to be part of my make up or identity ,I used to sing the songs and I started to get embarrassed as a grown man singing them ,that’s just my experience and will be different to other people’s experiences ,i for one want to move forward as a club and fan base and ditch this awful baggage ,We’ve all been guilty ,graeme souness addressed it head on only for the players to give a rendition of the sash to mo jo in the dressing room ,it was “banter” back then,things have changed ,the world hates itself a bit more now and with the intro of social media picking up all sorts I would rather turn the other way ,look towards a clean baggage free songbook that we can still belt out without any fear of “oh fu ck we are gonna get hammered for that “ when your watching it .

Let’s go
Lets run up the white flag and apologise to our detractors and be what they wants us to be.
Did this so called ball and chain stop us getting our 54 titles and not match previous Managers ambitions.

Lets run up the white flag and apologise to our detractors and be what they wants us to be.
Did this so called ball and chain stop us getting our 54 titles and not match previous Managers ambitions.

What is it you want to retain and don’t want to give up ?

Let’s go
Exaxtly this.

This can go either of 2 ways. It could rip our support apart and cause unrepairable damage or it could galvanise us and make us return stronger than ever before.

It really is in our own hands

Back