A new points system? ( just an idea)

A bit like the golf. Play for a quid on the front nine, quid on the back nine and a fiver on the game.

If a team is winning at halftime and ends up winning the game after 90 mins,award them with an extra point (4points).
What could be the positives and negatives? Would it benefit smaller teams? Would it open play?
Don’t shoot me down only a suggestion.
Take it you are furloughed or working from home, your brain is doing overtime and the walls are closing in. Just go out a walk and get some fresh air in yer lungs bud.

As with any new proposal, ask yourself “what’s the problem we’re trying to fix?”

In this case, I’ve no idea.
A lot of posters seem to want teams just to come out and play attacking football against us. Forgetting that if they do so 9/10 they will get hammered. You play to your strengths

I think there has to be subtler attempts at trying to stop teams looking at draws as desirable results

No change think of how the sheep play against us compared to them, or some other clubs for that matter.

Seriously ?
No thanks , would just encourage more teams to park the bus against us in the hope of holding out until at least half time.

How about everybody starts off with 100 points and then you lose points as follows:

Lose a game: 5 points
Draw a game: 3 points
Booking: 1 point (unless it's an evening game or )
Red card: 7 points (unless it's Halloween or an artificial pitch)
Red card at Halloween: 6.25 points
Poor quality scotch pies at the shop: variable points deduction depending on quality of pie - SPFL committee to decide on pie quality/points deduction

Team with most points left at end of season multiply their points by Pi and divide by the square root of the number of games played. All other teams can buy points at £1M per point up to a maximum of 10.

Top 4 teams after that fight it out under a bridge in Dalmarnock

What could be simpler and more conducive to exciting football?

Start with 501 points, take off 60 for a win, 20 for a draw and 1 for a loss. First to 0 wins.

Still working out how to end on a double.

A lot of posters seem to want teams just to come out and play attacking football against us. Forgetting that if they do so 9/10 they will get hammered. You play to your strengths

Exactly, regardless of the points on offer,the smaller clubs like Ross County, Motherwell and Celtic will come to Ibrox to "keep it tight" and look to hit on the break or set piece.

Same as we will do when we face the PSGs etc away in the CL

It took me long enough to get used to 3 for a win and tbh I don’t remember teams playing 11 men behind the ball in the grim hope of a draw back then. Would make no difference.

Would turn into that crazy Caribbean Cup farce when they decided goals in extra time counted double and it ended up with a team who were winning trying to score an own goal to take it to extra time to give themselves a better chance of winning as they needed to win by 2

its hard to change the points system in football as the points for a win are so low , and not enough goals (points) are scored ............like the rugby for instance, where there is multiple ways to score points and bonus points for certain scores

If it followed the rugby, you could have

4 points for a win

2 for a draw

bonus point for scoring 3

bonus point for being within one goal of winner (only if winning team has scored 2 or more)

this would possibly force teams to come out and score as there would always be a point to play for

there is the potential of a losing side getting 2 points even if they lose 4-3 or higher

would reward teams for not sitting in

Only thing I think would be worth considering would be zero points for a 0-0 draw.

The object of the game is to score goals.

What about an extra point or 3 for every 50 goals scored throughout the season...instead of changing the points system per game, change it so if teams are scoring goals then when they hit a certain amount they get a few extra bonus points, if a team losses 50 goals they get 3 points taken off them.

Christ, why am i even getting involved in this madness, leave it like it is.

Think its to avoid or help avoid teams sitting in
Which is exactly the reason we went to 3 points for a win and tbh is achieved the sum of fook all in changing football. 1 point is still better than zero against the top clubs and it is 1 more than most teams budget for against the top 3/4 clubs

Take a lead from rugby

If you win you get 4 points,
if you score 4 goals you get 1 point
If it ends 0-0 no points
If it ends in a score draw you get 2 points each
If you lose by less than 2 goals you get 1 point

So if you win 4-0 you get 5 points.
If you draw 4-4 you both get 3 points
If you lose 5-4 you get 2 points

Op, not saying I think it needs changed or would like to see this implemented, but for talking sakes, I think for your idea to have any merit,, it would need to be an extra point for each half a team wins, rather than just the first one. That would certainly make for a lot of interesting scenarios. Second halves would never be meaningless. It certainly always would be a game of two halves.

Even a losing team could pick up a point. Also a score draw could potentially bag teams 2 points each instead of 1, whereas a 0-0 could still only ever receive 1 apiece. A team 4-0 down in first half, still has something to play for, even if it's just winning the second half 1-0, as do the team in front. Teams fighting for championships who are 1 or 2 up, would still need to come out in the second half to win it for the extra point, etc.

Back