A New Recording Of Follow Follow With Proper Lyrics Is Required

Lord Summerisle

Administrator
Staff member
Follow Follow is an absolutely outstanding anthem.
However, it loses its way way somewhat when the awkward silence or muffled vocals replace the bastardised lyrics that most fans know we can’t sing any more.

Therefore, I think that a new, rousing version with the original lyrics would be a huge step forward in improving our atmosphere.

I’d actually change Dublin to Europe, too.
IMO, Dublin is too parochial, and we’re a modern football club with ambitions that far exceed the capital of the RoI – but that’s for another day…

Can you sort this please, @WBD ?
You seem to be the chap in the know for all things musical.

@Greg Marshall , would you know if the club have plans to update Follow Follow like they’ve done with ESWF and Four Lads?

Id love for FF – and some of our other anthems – to get a similar upgrade.

(And can I please ask posters to keep this thread on topic? If anyone has a problem with the content of my other threads, keep your replies for the relevant threads :cool:)

Edit:
Two questions:

1) Would we agree that these are the original lyrics?

Though the straits be broad or narrow, follow we will,
Follow we will, follow we will,
If the straits be broad or narrow, follow we will,
We will follow in the footsteps of our team [God bless them].
Follow follow, we will follow Rangers,
Everywhere, anywhere,
We will follow on,
If they go to Dublin we will follow on.
For there's not a team like the Glasgow Rangers,
No not one, and there never shall be one,
Celtic know all about their troubles,
We will fight till the day is done.
No not one, and there never shall be one!

2) Do you prefer the lyrics with these two small changes or the original?

Though the straits be broad or narrow, follow we will,
Follow we will, follow we will,
If the straits be broad or narrow, follow we will,
We will follow in the footsteps of our team [God bless them].
Everywhere, anywhere,
We will follow on,
When we play in Europe, we will follow on.
No not one, and there never shall be one,
The others know all about their troubles,
We will fight till the day is done.
No not one, and there never shall be one!

I'm not bothered about the Dublin/Europe line, but it really boils my piss that the scum are mentioned in our anthem.
I would like any new version to not include their name.

Interested in everyone's thoughts on this.

However, it loses its way way somewhat when the awkward silence or muffled vocals replace the bastardised lyrics that most fans know we can’t sing any more.

Therefore, I think that a new, rousing version with the original lyrics would be a huge step forward in improving our atmosphere.

IMO, Dublin is too parochial, and we’re a modern football club with ambitions that far exceed the capital of the RoI – but that’s for another day…

@Greg Marshall , would you know if the club have plans to update Follow Follow like they’ve done with ESWF and Four Lads?

(And can I please ask posters to keep this thread on topic? If anyone has a problem with the content of my other threads, keep your replies for the relevant threads :cool:)
Rangers fans had absolutely no problem singing the correct words to the song back in the 70s.

I'm starting to wonder if football is for you sherbrook.

'IMO, Dublin is too parochial, and we’re a modern football club with ambitions that far exceed the capital of the RoI – but that’s for another day…'

There's been a lot of shocking takes on FF over the years but this is the winner.

Don't have an issue of the Dublin line but it's embarrassing listening to it in Ibrox when the whole stadium just dies out instead of singing the proper lyrics rather than %^*& the pope. Would love the proper lyrics to come back.

I get what the OP is trying to do (reason why) but I just like it the way it is.

Don't need to change anything about it. Changing the words won't change what we all know it to be.

A fantastic song the way they club have it the now.

Hear, hear.

I believe the “original” lyrics (if you discount the hymn it came from) had no mention of celtc nor Dublin.
It was “others know all about their troubles” and “everywhere in Europe we will follow on”.

Time to change it back.

Last edited:
Hear, hear.

I believe the “original” lyrics (if you discount the hymn it came from) had no mention of celtc nor Dublin.
It was “others no know all about their troubles” and “everywhere in Europe we will follow on”.

Time to change it back.
I have this version on vinyl in my dads loft. Whether it’s the original or not, it’s by far the best with no mention of Celtic

Great post mate.

We should be singing the original lyrics and the sooner the better.

It's a brilliant anthem and would be a travesty if we lost it because of some adapted lyrics.

I like the Treble Twins version from the 1990s that was on both the 5IAR and Battle of Britain videos.

Proper lyrics and a version of the Billy Boys (Rangers Boys) that wouldn't get us in trouble.

Dundee, Hamilton, Even up to Aberdeen (or Aberdeen and back again if you prefer). The offending line in the Billy Boys changes to "We'd give anything to see our team at Ibrox or Away.".

I have a version which goes “ Some folks know all about their sorrows”.
Always a bit wary of the “real words” being handed down by the Club, the best football anthems are usually organic, coming from the terraces, it’s unfortunate that we have a small section who can manage to fit certain phrases into almost any tune.

Ah well, Down in the valley with my saviour I will go…

Funnily, I was looking up old lyrics to our songs after reading the 'fare thread'. I was gonna post them. But going by my posts then end up lost in translation..

Funnily(2), only lyrics I can now think of is, 'the daily rhecord know all about their troubles, David will fight till the day is done.

(Sorry for misleading thread)

Maybe just me, but I hate the fact that c****c get a mention in the song.
It's not just you. There aren't many songs that are about Rangers that don't mention them other than the recent additions which I love.

Yes, do a recording similar to the every saturday we follow and get it played. The crowd will happily join in.

Maybe just me, but I hate the fact that c****c get a mention in the song.
We know there’s only one club in Glasgow that defines its existence with obsession of the other. Rangers don’t need that and as a fanbase should now be in a place where we don’t need to mention them at all. Let them obsess while we get on with our own club.

I know the UB get stick on here but they would be the ones to get this kickstarted. A lot of younger fans look up to them and listen to what they are singing. And quite often that chants that come from them end up being the ones that stick.

Away days have a big part to play on stuff that makes it back to Ibrox too.

I have no idea why people just go silent instead of singing the original lyrics. I always sing the originals but must be one of only a few hundred at most.

Even better if it drowns out anyone who still chooses to sing the alternative lyrics

Good thread -while we are at it just record a whole album ,revise lyrics to remove reference to the odious mhob get it on the pre match playlist.

I would like the Jazz version of follow follow as a bonus track and the chachacha song and definately we should be playing may your anchor hold more.

Stick some myger points on for every purchase with a free kids size rosette with every copy(p+p applies)and you know you have a winnner.

50k thousand bears downloading it for a Christmas no 1 :cool:

@Greg Marshall @stewartrobertson @jamesbisgrove

Pygmy loyal

So you want to revert to the original lyrics ( which I agree with) but you then want to start changing them (Dublin to Europe)!!!!

I think some of the matchday songs could definitely do with a re recording to speed them up slightly. Half the time the support are a line ahead and it just ends with people mumbling/stopping to slow down and dies out

Back