A New Recording Of Follow Follow With Proper Lyrics Is Required

I absolutely agree with the sentiment, but I can't see it happening without people just reverting to the so-called banned version. I'm sure the same was tried with The Billy Boys (which as far as i'm concerned, you can't beat on a big night at Ibrox), but it just ended up with people going back to the proscribed lyrics.

I absolutely agree with the sentiment, but I can't see it happening without people just reverting to the so-called banned version. I'm sure the same was tried with The Billy Boys (which as far as i'm concerned, you can't beat on a big night at Ibrox), but it just ended up with people going back to the proscribed lyrics.
Nothing was ever tried with TBB

Two questions:

1) Would we agree that these are the original lyrics?

Though the straits be broad or narrow, follow we will,
Follow we will, follow we will,
If the straits be broad or narrow, follow we will,
We will follow in the footsteps of our team [God bless them].
Follow follow, we will follow Rangers,
Everywhere, anywhere,
We will follow on,
If they go to Dublin we will follow on.
For there's not a team like the Glasgow Rangers,
No not one, and there never shall be one,
Celtic know all about their troubles,
We will fight till the day is done.
No not one, and there never shall be one!

2) Do you prefer the lyrics with these two small changes or the original?

Everywhere, anywhere,
We will follow on,
When we play in Europe, we will follow on.
The others know all about their troubles,

I'm not bothered about the Dublin/Europe line, but it really boils my piss that the scum are mentioned in our anthem.
I would like any new version to not include their name.

Interested in everyone's thoughts on this.
Minor bits on the start of point 1. For me it was always:

Though the straits be broad or narrow, it’s follow we will,
Though If the straits be broad or narrow, it’s follow we will,
We will follow in the footsteps of our team [God bless them]

Personally I’m more concerned with getting the ‘Dundee, Hamilton’ and add-ons out first and foremost, the Dublin and Celtic references don’t bother me so much,

Last edited:
Two questions:

Everywhere, anywhere,
We will follow on,

Everywhere, anywhere,
We will follow on,

I'm not bothered about the Dublin/Europe line, but it really boils my piss that the scum are mentioned in our anthem.

I'd rather we stuck with version one but if it was to be changed it should be 'Others' rather than 'The others' as it has an extra sylable that would throw it out a bit.

Two questions:

Everywhere, anywhere,
We will follow on,

Everywhere, anywhere,
We will follow on,

The first version is the one I was taught nearly 60 years ago. No-one then was concerned about referencing Celtic or Dublin.

Records made in studios simply cannot be trusted - some will have been deliberately sanitised while others will be subject to artistic licence.

The main thing is to get rid of the mindless 'Dundee, Hamilton, etc ...' add-on. It was never in the original.

The trouble is young ones have been listening to us older ones singing and joining in with what is not p.c
Nail on head right there. Which is why the club should be getting involved in this. I've said before our players should be singing our club song when celebrating anything. The should be nowhere near the most common version

I would definitely support a new version of FF without the words Dublin and Ceptic in it and I can 100% guarantee off the back of the removal of the manky hordes from the Broomloan, the club’s fee requirement for media access, bears digging up the dirt on the filth merchants with crayons at the Daily Retard and thwarting the plan on Thursday night which I have no doubt was with the intent to get Rangers fans to react to Sutton and Lennon inside Ibrox and see what kind of repercussions there would be for the club and support...a new version particularly without any mention of that mob across the city will have them raging AGAIN as they’ve been already over all of the above especially with the Ibrox allocation fully removed. It’s a MUST do in my book and about bloody time to stop the silly mumbling and song dying a death because of stuff we aren’t supposed to sing anymore. It’s our club’s anthem and we either want to keep it alive and sing it properly without recourse or just drop the song and let it die out eventually, I know which option I prefer.

Last edited:
I would definitely support a new version of FF without the words Dublin and Ceptic in it and I can 100% guarantee off the back of the removal of the manky hordes from the Broomloan, the club’s fee requirement for media access, bears digging up the dirt on the filth merchants with crayons at the Daily Retard and thwarting the plan on Thursday night which I have no doubt was with the intent to get Rangers fans to react to Sutton and Lennon inside Ibrox and see what kind of repercussions there would be for the club and support...a new version particularly without any mention of that mob across the city will have them raging as they’ve been already over all of the above especially with the Ibrox allocation fully removed. It’s a MUST do in my book!
Agreed, removing them from the song makes a statement. Also pissed me off they got their proper name and not one more commonly used by us :)

When we play in Europe we will follow on.
We stood tall all throughout our troubles.
Hullo Hullo, we are the Rangers boys. Hullo Hullo, you'll know us by our noise.
Four lads had a dream to build a team, our club will never die.
For we are the Glasgow Rangers boys.

Nothing was ever tried with TBB

Completely incorrect. There were attempts to return to the original lyrics. They very quickly ended up back at the "wrong" lyrics, and it was then ditched for years.

When we play in Europe we will follow on.
We stood tall all throughout our troubles.
Hullo Hullo, we are the Rangers boys. Hullo Hullo, you'll know us by our noise.
WE FOLLOW GLASGOW RANGERS, OUR HEARTS ARE STRONG AND TRUE.For we are the Glasgow Rangers boys.
Try that.

Thought your lyrics were a push to get in.

Nice try though, atleast someone is

Agreed, removing them from the song makes a statement. Also pissed me off they got their proper name and not one more commonly used by us :)
How long does it normally take to get this song done mate ? If it’s half as good as ESWF and 4 lads it will be awesome

Completely incorrect. There were attempts to return to the original lyrics. They very quickly ended up back at the "wrong" lyrics, and it was then ditched for years.
There was no recording made or attempted. Basically because the tune is banned no matter what we sing to it

What original lyrics mate. A goal, a goal, we're ready to acclaim?

I mean the amount of self loathing in these types of threads is doing my head in. Ridiculous woke shite, like “lose mentioning Dublin”. It does my head in!
It's not exactly hating ourselves. The main thrust of the thread is to bring the song back to its former glory. FTP and the Vatican is the main issue and needs sorted. Dublin is just a personal dislike from OP and some others.

I can’t add much but my support for this thread. Reclaiming our great songs from the add-ons is something many of us have wanted for years. There’s so much to celebrate in our own culture without having to mention others. Even if the tune to TBB is technically banned, I’d love to see them try to take action if we changed the lyrics.

It would probably take years to get rid of the add-ons but maybe it could start with the club playing the new versions not long after the doors open and gradually playing them closer to kick off.

How long does it normally take to get this song done mate ? If it’s half as good as ESWF and 4 lads it will be awesome
They can take a bit of time, unfortunately. It was quite a lot of back and forth with the club on those two because they weren't quite sure how the fans would take them and were liaising with the UB. I think I instilled a bit of confidence after the songs doing better than they expected though.

It might be better to go it alone this time and just release it myself as an EP 5-6 tracks and then the club can take them if they like - if not I can take the stick for them being the way they are. Far less promo though when trying to get the fans on board.

I'll start with one and see how it goes. There are definitely songs mentioned in this thread we have 0% of getting the club backing them...

They can take a bit of time, unfortunately. It was quite a lot of back and forth with the club on those two because they weren't quite sure how the fans would take them and were liaising with the UB. I think I instilled a bit of confidence after the songs doing better than they expected though.

It might be better to go it alone this time and just release it myself as an EP 5-6 tracks and then the club can take them if they like - if not I can take the stick for them being the way they are. Far less promo though when trying to get the fans on board.

I'll start with one and see how it goes. There are definitely songs mentioned in this thread we have 0% of getting the club backing them...
People are being silly mentioning TBB mate forget about that . If you get FollowFollow to the same standard as ESWF and get the club engaged with it all the better . It may be harder work liasing with the club but it will be worth it in the end , if not there’s next to no chance of it being played at the ground and we will be stuck with the god awful 90s megamix version forever.Please realise how important what your doing is mate !

People are being silly mentioning TBB mate forget about that . If you get FollowFollow to the same standard as ESWF and get the club engaged with it all the better . It may be harder work liasing with the club but it will be worth it in the end , if not there’s next to no chance of it being played at the ground and we will be stuck with the god awful 90s megamix version forever.Please realise how important what your doing is mate !
Thanks, @Davie2021.

I'm considering doing live Twitch streams of me making the new versions so anyone can hop in the stream get involved/see the process if it interests anyone.

Could be a laugh..
Could be chaos also!

Thanks, @Davie2021.

I'm considering doing live Twitch streams of me making the new versions so anyone can hop in the stream get involved/see the process if it interests anyone.

Could be a laugh..
Could be chaos also!
Haha mate do your own thing honestly you won’t go far wrong , too many loonies will try and derail you if you start going public with it :D

Unfortunateley I know many people from the dark side through outlaws family , work etc , I’m almost 50 and the power of a positive song is underestimated by many . The haters cannot stand 4lads had a dream for example, as they live in a world they convince themselves and others that we were somehow formed as a bigoted football club , that song lays it all out in facts and is such a beautiful story it drives them nuts . They are at their happiest when we revert to the Sands/IRA/Pope/Pistols megamix because it allows them to perpetuate their nonsense about us , in stark contrast 4lads had a dream is where the vast majority of bears relate and stand with , and followfollow is the exact same .it’s about football first for most of us and always has been right back to 1872. So first and foremost it’s a cracking song , and as a bonus those who despise us will hate a fresher, proper , traditional singable version we can all beat out on European nights at a packed Ibrox

They are at their happiest when we revert to the Sands/IRA/Pope/Pistols megamix because it allows them to perpetuate their nonsense about us , in stark contrast 4lads had a dream is where the vast majority of bears relate and stand with , and followfollow is the exact same .it’s about football first for most of us and always has been right back to 1872. So first and foremost it’s a cracking song , and as a bonus those who despise us will hate a fresher, proper , traditional singable version we can all beat out on European nights at a packed Ibrox
100% - I want us signing about Rangers not that other mob / the IRA / dead terrorists, people can go across the city to hear that nonsense!!

Listened today... Not only do we need. We need rid of up the Falls derrys walls. The song really is fucked in its present state

The same could be done for BB , surely if all ‘offensive’ words were removed they couldn’t ban it? Still the most rousing song we have

that was tried over 10 years ago. People still sung TBB.

Hello, Hello
We are the Rangers Boys
Hello, Hello
You'll know us by our noise
We'll give anything to see our team
At Ibrox or away
For we are
The Glasgow Rangers Boys

that was tried over 10 years ago. People still sung TBB.

Hello, Hello
We are the Rangers Boys
Hello, Hello
You'll know us by our noise
We'll give anything to see our team
At Ibrox or away
For we are
The Glasgow Rangers Boys
You could put twinkle twinkle words to it. Won't be allowed

I agree with the OPs intent but would take a different route.

Why not just find 2 or 3 new anthems? With no baggage, no add-ons etc.

Last edited:
Great thread, S_L.
The first lyrics you gave are definitely early ones, but possibly not "original".

I well remember a printed version one of my uncles had in the mid-60's, and I've never forgotten the lyrics. It didn't have the first four lines of yours, but I've left them in as I think it adds a lot to the song. The other differences I've highlighted . . .

Everywhere, anywhere,
We will follow on,
Everywhere in Europe we will follow on.
No not one, no not one,
Others know all about their troubles,
We will fight till the game is won.
No not one, no not one!

On a different note, I have it on good authority, that 'Gers fans favourite anthem up until the 50's was "The Bonnie Wells O' Wearie" :eek:
Whether it was with the same lyrics as the original I'm not sure (I somehow doubt it, though times were certainly different back then) but, having given it a listen, I reckon with fitting lyrics it could make a decent Ibrox anthem.

Reactions: WBD
Back