A now calmed down review

mshearer97

Having had time to calm down after the game can actually look back on it now and point out some positives and negatives.

Positives:
-Defended Well
-Came out and played (eventually)
-Mcgregor

Negatives:
-The whole first half
-The lack of control and presence in midfield
-Our final ball in the second half
-The inability of morelos and lafferty being able to make the ball stick up top all day
-And how long it took for the management to eventually make substitutions.

Player Ratings:
Mcgregor-8
Tav-5
Goldson-7
Katic-7
Barasic-6
Jack-5
Arfield-6
Ejaria-4
Kent-4
Lafferty-5
Morelos-5

No need to panic yet at all but for me just too many players of the ball today and not enough attacking threat or control from thw midfield.

Having had time to calm down after the game can actually look back on it now and point out some positives and negatives.

Positives:
-Defended Well
-Mcgregor

Negatives:
-The whole first half
-The inability of morelos and lafferty being able to make the ball stick up top all day

Player Ratings:
Mcgregor-8
Tav-5
Goldson-7
Katic-7
Barasic-6
Jack-5
Arfield-6
Ejaria-4
Kent-4
Lafferty-5
Morelos-5

No need to panic yet at all but for me just too many players of the ball today and not enough attacking threat or control from thw midfield.
Agree with those ratings except Arfield, he should be a 4 or 5

Agreed

I saw someone say on another thread that whilst no need to panic, if we hadn't qualified for Europa league group stages 5 points from 12 would look very different

Only thing I would disagree with is shaggers rating.. 10/10 for me

As I’ve said in a previous post, We have to more assertive in midfield, break up there play and possession and feed the channels to turn them. We never seem to dominate in midfield against them in recent years.

Agreed

I saw someone say on another thread that whilst no need to panic, if we hadn't qualified for Europa league group stages 5 points from 12 would look very different

Very true but you also needty take into account the scenarios of the game, 3 away games, 1 with a red card, 2 with last minute equalisers. Not worried.

Morelos was our best player, and he didn’t get any service ffs

Im not sure how anyone can come to that conclusion after his performance today.

The only person to play at the level we've seen this season was McGregor.
Morelos contributed almost nothing, in part to us not having enough of the ball but also due to seemingly lacking effort or energy to close their players down.

Im not sure how anyone can come to that conclusion after his performance today.

The only person to play at the level we've seen this season was McGregor.
Morelos contributed almost nothing, in part to us not having enough of the ball but also due to seemingly lacking effort or energy to close their players down.
Fair statement mate

Agreed

But on the flip side of that would we only have 5 points if we hadn't also been playing every Thursday since the beginning of the season?

We have the break now, and a run of easier games after. We'll come good.

No positives from today for me, we did defend well but we have ourselves no choice. If the four attempts that hit wood work go in it’s a route. We never threatened there goal once never had control of midfield.
For me set up was wrong, subs not going on at the right time etc
Was a really poor performance could have played until 2pm tomorrow and still never scored.

Agreed

But we did qualify

If we play it that way we can say if we didnt switch off against the sheep and motherwell we would be on 9 points and joint 2nd with them

Why does everyone keep throwing in this line of 'aye if it wasn't for the Europa league we'd look at it differently'

But we did have Europe. And we've did a bloody good job to get there and not be summarily embarrased like last year. We've achieved something that the supposed other 2 best teams in the league (Aberdeen and Hibs) couldn't do - and so far have matched the European progress of Celtic this season (and they've been knocked out one comp already)

That actually gives me optimism for the season ahead. League form can of course be improved and we've a great run of games coming

No positives from today for me, we did defend well but we have ourselves no choice. If the four attempts that hit wood work go in it’s a route. We never threatened there goal once never had control of midfield.
For me set up was wrong, subs not going on at the right time etc
Was a really poor performance could have played until 2pm tomorrow and still never scored.
Surely mcgregor + the way the cbs defended are positives lol?

The reason arfield was higher than the rest of the midfield was because he worked very hard all game for me and won the ball back a good few times. Mcgregor marked down based on him kicking out, barasic higher than tav because he defended better but final ball wasnt great.

Now sort of reflecting I really want Gerrard to use this as a valuable lesson for him and his team. The group stage of the Europa league makes this season a success in my eyes. We will get stronger and can give it a go in the league. I also think the mental stress of Europa leagu is gone now because we’ve reached the objective we had in mind. Once we have Coulibaly back as well as some others we will get better. Next time we play those bams we will be at home and can take the game to them. The next couple of days will be painful but after that it’s time to knuckle down and continue to move forward

Agreed

I would give shagger 11 out of 10

Some of our fans run away from themself.

When it comes to us v them there is still an element of pushing shit up a hill.

The best player on the park cost 4 million, a lot of our fans forgot that they are actually quite good in the build up to this game.

We have a distance in a very short time this season, we are a mile in front of where I expected us to be.

We gave them too much respect. Should have played more our own game for some of that first half.

What's the difference between giving them too much respect and being frightened of them?

I thought for long periods today we played like we were scared to take the game to them and reverted to sitting back and just trying to stop them scoring.

The attitude of the team this season has been terrific, a great example being last Thursday. But for the first time under Gerrard I thought our attitude deserved criticism today.

Positives:
-Defended Well
-Mcgregor

Negatives:
-The whole first half

Player Ratings:
Mcgregor-8
Tav-5
Goldson-7
Katic-7
Barasic-6
Jack-5
Arfield-6
Ejaria-4
Kent-4
Lafferty-5
Morelos-5

Not too far from my own thoughts and ratings, though thought Arfield was as bad as the rest of the midfield.

I do think we will be better prepared come the next one.

We didn't play well today, so whatever out of ten you would give that then batter in.

We were poor. No point mincing around it giving made up number scores.

Not too far from my own thoughts and ratings, through thought Arfield was as bad as the rest of the midfield.

I do think we will be better prepared come the next one.
Thought he broke play up alot in both halves, and same here good time for rest now then back at it

We didn't play well today, so whatever out of ten you would give that then batter in.

We were poor. No point mincing around it giving made up number scores.
Well some people wanty talk about individual performances etc thats the need for ratings for people to talk about, “we were poor” doesnt really go into detail about the performance? No. Everybody knows we were poor.

On the positives side, they made a good point on Heart and Hand which was that this time that lot had to bring up their play to full speed, whereas previously they've hardly even needed to get out of first gear. We, though, can play a lot better than we did today and certainly will for the next game home

On the positives side, they made a good point on Heart and Hand which was that this time that lot had to bring up their play to full speed, whereas previously they've hardly even needed to get out of first gear. We, though, can play a lot better than we did today and certainly will for the next game home
Usually agree with 99% of what they say on heart and hand talk alot of sense

Struck me that when interviewed SG came across as a bad loser. That gives me the belief that things will improve. Euro league qualification-above the expectations of most. League results-less good than anticipated. But surely premature to consider even a medium term assessment. Gerrard has been a winner all his days, he will be identifying with our disappointment.

Back