A pound to look after your car Mr?

Norskger

Memories of being a kid and my father parking the car near Ibrox (all the way from the Isle of Skye) and being asked by the youths "a pound to look after your car Mr?"
He always replied "the police are looking after this car" and we returned with no issues, or said kids to be about after the game.
Does this still happen? The kids asking for a pound to look after the car? Anyone with good stories?

When I used to watch the cars and someone said no it went like this;

If they were nice about it = car would be completely fine.

If they were neutral about it = car would be fine.

If they were cheeky dicks about it = good chance we would kick stones at it/scratch it or use it as goal post. Tell all the wee guys to run over the cars/mess about with wingmirrors etc.

Majority of the people were always brand new and I wrote a story last week about me and a mate seeing our first European match at Ibrox through watching cars down at Craigton/Mosspark Boulevard.

Again, we didn’t always watch your motor but we made sure it didn’t become a target, it was like an insurance policy ran by ugly wee guys like myself.

Not sure if it’s still done these days. Our main places to watch the car depended on where we were that day, if down at the Bella swimming/hockey pitches then it was Craigton and if we were in the Mosspark swing park playing football it would be the motors at the Mosspark Boulevard.

When I used to watch the cars and someone said no it went like this;

If they were nice about it = car would be completely fine.

If they were neutral about it = car would be fine.

If they were cheeky dicks about it = good chance we would kick stones at it/scratch it or use it as goal post. Tell all the wee guys to run over the cars/mess about with wingmirrors etc.

Majority of the people were always brand new and I wrote a story last week about me and a mate seeing our first European match at Ibrox through watching cars down at Craigton/Mosspark Boulevard.

Again, we didn’t always watch your motor but we made sure it didn’t become a target, it was like an insurance policy ran by ugly wee guys like myself.

Not sure if it’s still done these days. Our main places to watch the car depended on where we were that day, if down at the Bella swimming/hockey pitches then it was Craigton and if we were in the Mosspark swing park playing football it would be the motors at the Mosspark Boulevard.
Did you rise in life to a more grown-up protection racket around town, perhaps a numbers game or two and control of the local prostitution outlets, or did you just settle down to a regular nine to five like the rest of us?

We should be told. ;)

Did you rise in life to a more grown-up protection racket around town, perhaps a numbers game or two and control of the local prostitution outlets, or did you just settle down to a regular nine to five like the rest of us?

We should be told. ;)

I worked as a debt collector for a while then went back to uni to do Quantity Surveying so I guess I do still rip people off:))

My dad always used to say- ‘OK, if you watch it, I’ll give you a pound when I get back’.
Every now and again he had to cough up, but mostly they where to be seen.

Remember going with my dad and his mate and they parked at the bowling club just down the road from the Louden and boys my age (about 9-10 at the time) asked that. Always asked ma dad why he gave them money knowing fine well they won’t watch it (cause I know I wouldn’t) and he’d say well if a say naw then wits the chances that something will happen to it? Fair enough point.

About 20 years ago, on Skene Rd when it still opened on to prw. We always parked there, turned at the bottom and parked on the way up towards prw for a sharp getaway. Gave the wee guy a quid when asked and promised a quid after the game as usual.

One game a couple of guys in a white nova parked behind us. They told the wee, watch yer car urchin to bolt. Came back after the game to a nova with no glass left. The wee guy roars 'it's ok mister, yer panels are ok' before bolting into the flats.

Go on a supporters bus now but when I used to drive over I’d always give a quid with the promise of another when we got back if the car was fine.
More often than not they would be nowhere to be seen but would always pay if they were there.
Never once had a problem.

Me and a pal used to make some cash from beast supporters back in the 60's. We would wait until the game started before buggering off back to our regular play area then return when the game was nearly over, think we got about tuppence for each car, some would give you a sixpence. Done okay out of it.

My dad always used to say- ‘OK, if you watch it, I’ll give you a pound when I get back’.
Every now and again he had to cough up, but mostly they where to be seen.

Didn’t everyone’s dad do this?

Mine did.

Occasionally the kids would be there when we got back, and he being a good upstanding sort would pay them.

Memories of being a kid and my father parking the car near Ibrox (all the way from the Isle of Skye) and being asked by the youths "a pound to look after your car Mr?"
He always replied "the police are looking after this car" and we returned with no issues, or said kids to be about after the game.
Does this still happen? The kids asking for a pound to look after the car? Anyone with good stories?
If your dad used that story with the kids if today he would get:
"We're no feart fae they cvnts"

Are you terrified to take your car incase they ask for a quid lol

Was a fair deal a felt. Sad thing is a think a lot of the kids were sent out by their Tim parents. Witnessed one with the green and grey top on sitting on his step directing his boy to people who were parking.

Still happens in the streets round from Ibrox subway that are sandwiched between Broomloan and Copland road.

Back