A question about stadium reconstruction in the wake of the Ibrox Disaster.

There was great excitement when the Copland Road was first to be completed and opened. What a sight it was and it was and months before i finally got to get in. Im sure the first game was Lillestrom in a European tie.
Can't remember if the Copland alone was tickets for every game i just remember massive queue's outside it no matter who we played, for example teams like Morton.
Back in the day it was almost the equivalent of Spurs new stadium, at the time other football grounds really were that primitive in the UK.
It's good reading your post WH as I was in the Copland Road stand at the Lillestrom game and was about 10 rows from the back and shitting myself because of how steep I thought it was as we weren't used to anything like that.

The thing that made me chuckle was that you are correct in saying that there were queues to get in the Copland against teams like Morton and suchlike as everybody that didn't have a preference for the main stand wanted to get in there and the excitement of rebuilding the stadium was a magical time.

The following few seasons were an anti climax seeing as we had this new state of the art stadium but the team on the pitch were nowhere near what we required to go hand in hand with the vision at the time.

Might be my old memory playing tricks but most games the singing started in the Derry and this was probably effected by the construction of the Centenary Stand. As I remember old Ibrox stairway 13 accommodated fans from both the Derry and Copland Rd end.

Your memory is fine.

Most games you could pay at the gate. You used to be able to buy tickets for Rangers vs Celtic in the strangest places. I remember a travel agent on Bath St. being an official ticket outlet for one game.

When we played Torino in the Cup Winners Cup (quarter final if I remember right), I remember rushing to the subway straight from school and getting in a huge queue at Ibrox to buy tickets and quickly joined by all my pals.
Bisland Travel.
There was also a newsagent near Paisley Road Toll where you could buy tickets. That's where I got my ticket for the European tie against Kempes's Valencia.

Bisland Travel.
There was also a newsagent near Paisley Road Toll where you could buy tickets. That's where I got my ticket for the European tie against Kempes's Valencia.

That sounds right. You've a better memory than me.

In my opinion the big mistake was starting at the Copland Road end, possibly influenced by stairway 13 being there.

Too complicated to explain on here but in essence the traditional singing end being demolished led to our 'choir' being scattered throughout the stadium. As each new stand replaced the old the 'choir' ended up split between the EE and WE. When these were seated the atmosphere slowly evaporated.

Im sure others will disagree but I can assure you that's what happened. As Max Boyce used to say, "I know, 'cause I was there".
By the time i was old enough to go to games , it was the east enclosure for me . Boys gate to pay in was £2.50.
Tickets were £4 and £5 for mentally challengeds and euro nights . Best singing and atmosphere. Even after hillsbourgh I believe and still do that we could’ve kept the enclosures and they would be safe . For safe standing it would be more practical to once again make the enclosure standing .

By the time i was old enough to go to games , it was the east enclosure for me . Boys gate to pay in was £2.50.
Tickets were £4 and £5 for mentally challengeds and euro nights . Best singing and atmosphere. Even after hillsbourgh I believe and still do that we could’ve kept the enclosures and they would be safe . For safe standing it would be more practical to once again make the enclosure standing .

Not for me. Imagine the Kop split in two and out of sight to a worldwide tv audience? No fabulous displays on tv.

My preference would be the whole of the Govan Front. Unbelievable. One of the best in the world and certainly the best in the UK.

I played at Ibrox against Rangers in 78 in front of 10,000, during the early 80’s crowd were often around that level
I doubt it
Average crowds would be in the early twenties during that period
I remember 1969 we had been-pumped 4-0 in the SCF by the the crash barriers WE had an outstanding league game against Dunfermline on the Monday night and understandingly got. A crowd of about 8K
That was always the figure the mentally challenged s would tell you was the average - pure pish
I find it hard to believe that we had a crowd of 10K in 1978, a year when we won a treble,

Buchanan's?
Yes!
My Dad had a shop in Shields Road. He told me to go there for my ticket and if they asked where I lived, to tell them he was my Dad. He thought the tickets would be limited sale and they wouldn't recognise me as a regular customer. They didn't ask.
Although we lost the game it's still a big memory for me. I was 18. In the Centenary Stand.

Yes!
My Dad had a shop in Shields Road. He told me to go there for my ticket and if they asked where I lived, to tell them he was my Dad. He thought the tickets would be limited sale and they wouldn't recognise me as a regular customer. They didn't ask.
Although we lost the game it's still a big memory for me. I was 18. In the Centenary Stand.
Crookston Travel served those out West.
There was also a small ticket kiosk at the Stadium itself.
You only had about 6 ticket games a year then.

True. Most or all of the singing came from the derry and behind the goal at the Copland Road end.
Still a great atmosphere when we were in full voice but nowadays when we give it laldy it is 100% louder and intimidating for teams when we turn up the battle cry.

If you think of Kiev & so many other nights in the stadium, the noise is just crazy BSpecial.

Must be pretty amazing for the players.

Can’t wait to be back in there. Hope we all learn this lesson & never take it for granted again.

I understand the thinking behind starting with the Copland but friends I went to games with ended up all over the stadium. Ibrox hasnt been the same since because of the way the fans are distributed throughout the ground.

The UB are trying to create a significant area dedicated to fans who want to stand and sing throughout the 90 minutes but its difficult because there isnt the same mobility that there was in the past. Add in the problem of fans not wanting to move and you end up with a poor atmosphere.

This could have been avoided if more thought was put in at the outset.

I do agree that the new stands do 'hold' the sound better.

The very latest stadiums are recognising this eg Spurs, and more and more thought is being put into providing different areas for different types of fans.

SG has dropped hints about the lack of atmosphere at Ibrox and I had great hopes that a new, younger SLO might make a difference. Even more so as his father has created a fantastic environment in his pubs that lend themselves to a good sing song and atmosphere.

For me no amount of off field improvements are more important than creating the right environment for our fans to show the world what we can do.

I think that’s a very good point about how we should move forward now.

To me, and thinking about a point one of the guys earlier about the capacity going forward, I wouldn’t built the stadium up to significantly grow the capacity.

I would go down the way, but also add the safe standing you’re talking about. It might only get us to 55-57,000 but it would still look pretty much full every game, but with a better atmosphere imo.

I hated sitting at the game when Ibrox was first redeveloped it's something I eventually (had) to get used to. Although like everyone else we were in awe of our new Stadium I missed the days of standing and freely moving about at games although when the ground was jam packed moving about was impossible, you had your spot and that was it, you kept hold of your empty can because going to the toilet was simply a no-brainer.
I'd be all for a standing area at Ibrox today, though that would be for the younger bears, nowadays I'm content to just sit as I'm getting on a bit now.

I think that’s a very good point about how we should move forward now.

To me, and thinking about a point one of the guys earlier about the capacity going forward, I wouldn’t built the stadium up to significantly grow the capacity.

I would go down the way, but also add the safe standing you’re talking about. It might only get us to 55-57,000 but it would still look pretty much full every game, but with a better atmosphere imo.

Living next to Anfield I noticed the new stand has about a dozen rows of seats at the back of the stand that cantilever out. I think we could do this but it would need the roofs replaced. Much cheaper than adding tiers.

I do also like the ideas you have mentioned.

I used to walk the length and breadth of Coatbridge asking for a ticket in every pub I passed. On more than one occasion I got a Rangers' end ticket from Phil Cole's one of the biggest Celtic pubs in the town.
Jesus, haven’t heard the name of that shit hole for years. Then It’s mentioned twice in a week!

Jesus, haven’t heard the name of that shit hole for years. Then It’s mentioned twice in a week!

Dont know if you're old enough to remember Celtic playing Ajax in the European Cup back in the 70's. Me and a mate from school decided to pick a spot near the Coatbridge Hotel where we could 'wave' at the tims' buses from Phil Coles as they headed to the piggery that night. We counted 13 double deckers.

Dont know how many seats there were on the old Eastern Scottish buses but I reckon it must have been close to 70.

Coles was knocked down a few years ago.

I doubt it
I remember 1969 we had been-pumped 4-0 in the SCF by the the crash barriers WE had an outstanding league game against Dunfermline on the Monday night and understandingly got. A crowd of about 8K
That was always the figure the mentally challenged s would tell you was the average - pure pish
I find it hard to believe that we had a crowd of 10K in 1978, a year when we won a treble,
We did have a great year but I played in the game and it was recorded at 10k
Opposition was crap though

Ibrox was only really full to capacity on European nights and games against the mentally challengeds. Usually attendances back then averaged 40k. I honestly cant remember much hostility to the new plans at the time.
I was at plenty of games through the 1970's at the old Ibrox and during the remodelling phase.
On many occasions the crowds were near or below 20,000.
At some games you could have a whole row of the Centenary stand to ones self.
The revised capacity seemed sensible at the time I recall and don't forget that the vast majority of grounds were complete shit tips. Ibrox was far from the worst. The whole novelty of the new stands having toilets with basins, soap & water was quite something. We used to joke about how scum fans would be jealous as the facilities were better than they had at home. Of course they felt obliged to trash them.

Most games you could pay at the gate. You used to be able to buy tickets for Rangers vs Celtic in the strangest places. I remember a travel agent on Bath St. being an official ticket outlet for one game.

When we played Torino in the Cup Winners Cup (quarter final if I remember right), I remember rushing to the subway straight from school and getting in a huge queue at Ibrox to buy tickets and quickly joined by all my pals.
Used to work in the city centre and going to Greaves Sports shop to buy tickets during my lunch break.

I doubt it
If I remember correctly, midweek attendances in particular were very poor at this time, probably due to poor transport links etc.
I just looked up the attendance figures for the run in to the league of the treble winning 1977-78 season, quite astonishing figures considering it was a close run thing with the sheep only finishing 2 points behind.

Last four home league games.

Sat Apr 1 St Mirren 20,500
Wed Apr 12 Ayr Utd 12,282
Sat 22 Apr Dundee Utd 27,050
Sat 29 Apr Motherwell 43,500 League Clinched on final day, pay at the gate, first time league had been won at Ibrox since the sixties.

Very different times indeed.

I think it was nothing more than colour coded sections.
If I remember correctly the Centenary Stand ended up with colour coded benches.
At that time the concept of being allocated a seat would have been very new to most of us and while the coloured sections may have helped sort us out find our pew they did look meh.

Reactions: SSR
If I remember correctly, midweek attendances in particular were very poor at this time, probably due to poor transport links etc.
I just looked up the attendance figures for the run in to the league of the treble winning 1977-78 season, quite astonishing figures considering it was a close run thing with the sheep only finishing 2 points behind.

Last four home league games.

Sat Apr 1 St Mirren 20,500
Wed Apr 12 Ayr Utd 12,282
Sat 22 Apr Dundee Utd 27,050
Sat 29 Apr Motherwell 43,500 League Clinched on final day, pay at the gate, first time league had been won at Ibrox since the sixties.

Very different times indeed.
I would have been at all of those games but i only remember the Motherwell game for obvious reasons we couldn't get into the Copland rd and eventually got into the Broomloan rd after kick off
Best memory of the stadium during development was versus the sheep and a few bears got into the site of the Govan stand and got many a song started, even though on the park we were poor the support were fantastic

Dont know if you're old enough to remember Celtic playing Ajax in the European Cup back in the 70's. Me and a mate from school decided to pick a spot near the Coatbridge Hotel where we could 'wave' at the tims' buses from Phil Coles as they headed to the piggery that night. We counted 13 double deckers.

Dont know how many seats there were on the old Eastern Scottish buses but I reckon it must have been close to 70.

Coles was knocked down a few years ago.
I was born in 77, a Glenmavis boy. I was talking to guy in work and he was saying when he left school he worked in Forsyths and they used to get a Wednesday afternoon off and all the older guys dragged him into every boozer from kirkwood to the town centre the second week he was there. Ended up sleeping in the West End Park.

Coles sticks in my mind because I remember my Grandpa taking us down for the big walk, we were over at the Cenotaph as the band all turned to walk up Blairhill and there was some kind of riot with them all spilling out the pub. Must’ve been early 80’s.

I was born in 77, a Glenmavis boy. I was talking to guy in work and he was saying when he left school he worked in Forsyths and they used to get a Wednesday afternoon off and all the older guys dragged him into every boozer from kirkwood to the town centre the second week he was there. Ended up sleeping in the West End Park.

Coles sticks in my mind because I remember my Grandpa taking us down for the big walk, we were over at the Cenotaph as the band all turned to walk up Blairhill and there was some kind of riot with them all spilling out the pub. Must’ve been early 80’s.

If you drank in the Hole in the Wall you'll know my brother in law, Glen.

Cole's was always a hoot any time we passed it on the Gartsherrie Derry bus. We used to time our songs so that our Oirish bretheren could hear our tribute to the pontiff.

"I married a 19th Century Terrorist, her name was McGuire,
She ordered my flute to be thrown in the fire
And as it was burning I heard a strange noise,
Was the old orange flute playing the Protestant boys.
Turalu...Turalu...
Was the old flute still playing the Protestant boys."

I know Forsyth's down by Old Monkland Church. Potatoes and veg distributor.

I remember that Motherwell game, I didn’t get into the Rangers End until 30 minutes after kickoff and missed the two goals.
It wasn’t a particularly massive crowd, either.

I was born in 1975, my first memories of Ibrox are of being in the Copland with the Govan stand just being a metal frame that grew over the season, I still remember the guys in hard hats throwing the ball back over the fence, I didn't know the old Ibrox but my dad did, he always used to talk about how the new stands were based on Dortmund (I remember him going there in 1982 too).

I remember being able to pick your seat, and daft things like the wee packets of Kilx chewing gum they sold at the catering stands, I also remember the following seasons as I got older and we went into the enclosure, standing down the front where you could only see the players on the other touchline from the waist up, and waiting in the queue to get in when the shout would go out that it was full, the turnstile shutters would drop and we'd all run round to the Copland to pay the extra 50p to get in!!

Theres a pic in one of the old Playing for Rangers books of one of our players posed as if he's holding up the massive girder of the Govan, thats how I remember it being when I first went.
I forgot about that chewing gum mate and you've reminded me of the potato n meat pies, they were great (but you couldn't get them anywhere else) and chipmunk crisps. Great to go with your half time bovril!

When my older brother took me we always went to the enclosure, or the Broomloan, depending who we played, i was in the Broomloan v Cologne, but in the enclosure v Juventus, i remember Greigs testimonial v Scotland where the crowd at the time was estimated to be 65 to 75 thousand in attendance could be more i wasnt the only one getting put over the turnstyle , and i never seen a season ticket till souness came,
Was at they games you mention.
Greigs testimonial was the first time i was in a black hackney ,was still at school and came from a wee town miles away.
Thought i was the bees knees.

When the redevelopment was completed we had the best ground in Britain and it comfortably remained undisputed until the Taylor report and Sky money led to changes down south.

When the work stated in 1978 it was unprecedented for any British team to carry out such large scale renovations. Sure, teams like Everton and Chelsea had built new main stands but no one had sought to build a 44k stadium of which approx 35k were seated and in three of those stands had no pillars to obstruct the view

In my opinion the big mistake was starting at the Copland Road end, possibly influenced by stairway 13 being there.

Too complicated to explain on here but in essence the traditional singing end being demolished led to our 'choir' being scattered throughout the stadium. As each new stand replaced the old the 'choir' ended up split between the EE and WE. When these were seated the atmosphere slowly evaporated.

Im sure others will disagree but I can assure you that's what happened. As Max Boyce used to say, "I know, 'cause I was there".
When I was a teen we went to the East Enclosure because it was easy to get tickets (not season ticketed at that point); the tickets were cheaper (saving lunch money basically funded your ticket on Saturday) and the main singing was in the East Enclosure.

There was always this line pulled out that the Copland End was the main area where there was noise was quite confusing at times and there was definately a bit of rivalry between EE and Copland with the “Copland, give us the Sash” and “you can stick your season tickets up your arse” chants.

Over time I’ve understood that the Derry was the hub of it all in 60s & 70s but was the Copland End ever a recognisable place where the loudest of the support grouped before or after the stand erected?

When the redevelopment was completed we had the best ground in Britain and it comfortably remained undisputed until the Taylor report and Sky money led to changes down south.

When the work stated in 1978 it was unprecedented for any British team to carry out such large scale renovations. Sure, teams like Everton and Chelsea had built new main stands but no one had sought to build a 44k stadium of which approx 35k were seated and in three of those stands had no pillars to obstruct the view

When I was a teen we went to the East Enclosure because it was easy to get tickets (not season ticketed at that point); the tickets were cheaper (saving lunch money basically funded your ticket on Saturday) and the main singing was in the East Enclosure.

There was always this line pulled out that the Copland End was the main area where there was noise was quite confusing at times and there was definately a bit of rivalry between EE and Copland with the “Copland, give us the Sash” and “you can stick your season tickets up your arse” chants.

Over time I’ve understood that the Derry was the hub of it all in 60s & 70s but was the Copland End ever a recognisable place where the loudest of the support grouped before or after the stand erected?

The Derry was the main area where singing started up until it was seated and became the centenary stand around 1972/73.

Having said that when Celtic came to Ibrox singing would start in both the Derry and the terracing at the Copland Road end.

The enclosures were not populated with those that liked a sash bash.

There were very few season ticket holders then, just a few thousand at the front of the main stand. I had one with my brother at the bottom corner in the Copland Rd end of the stand. Neds used to spit at us from the terracing for the crime of being 'posh'. :)

The Derry was the main area where singing started up until it was seated and became the centenary stand around 1972/73.

Having said that when Celtic came to Ibrox singing would start in both the Derry and the terracing at the Copland Road end.

The enclosures were not populated with those that liked a sash bash.
I started going regularly in 1989 and the Enclosure was certainly where it was all at by that time.

So did the terrace behind the Copland goal take over after 1973 kind of time?

It’s been quite interesting to see the Union Bears moving around and that more vocal section finding itself in the Broomloan in recent years, especially as it is regarded as the “away” end by many.
Ultimately it’s the area of the ground that is most accessible to teenagers that will inevitably take the bulk of that rowdier/louder crowd I suppose.

There were very few season ticket holders then, just a few thousand at the front of the main stand. I had one with my brother at the bottom corner in the Copland Rd end of the stand. Neds used to spit at us from the terracing for the crime of being 'posh'. :)

My mate got me a ticket for the hospitality when Rangers beat Hearts 5 1 in the cup final at Hampden. We had a meal at Ibrox before boarding a number of coaches to take us to Hampden.

You were expected to dress accordingly with a suit, shirt and tie. When the busses rolled into the car park at Hampden you could feel the animosity amongst the regular fans. I did not feel comfortable and wouldnt do it again.

Id rather be in amongst what Rab C calls "the scum".

I remember getting OF tickets from Ian Luke sports shop in Battlfield

One of my memories as a kid was being told that the inside of the roofs of the Copland and Broomloan were designed to help increase the noise of the fans by curving downwards at the front, how true the claim was I don't know but the inside of the roof does curve downwards.

I'm pretty sure it's mentioned in one of the Playing for Rangers books of the time.

I started going regularly in 1989 and the Enclosure was certainly where it was all at by that time.

So did the terrace behind the Copland goal take over after 1973 kind of time?

It’s been quite interesting to see the Union Bears moving around and that more vocal section finding itself in the Broomloan in recent years, especially as it is regarded as the “away” end by many.
Ultimately it’s the area of the ground that is most accessible to teenagers that will inevitably take the bulk of that rowdier/louder crowd I suppose.

The Derry moved, through choice, when they put bench seats in their traditional area. Using todays locations that was from the Govan at the Rangers' end to where the Copland Stand is now.

My original post tried to explain why our 'choir/Derry' ended up in the enclosures. In essence these were the last areas with standing. They are not good locations and would never have been chosen but there was no where else.

When the club had finished the reconstruction of the 3 new stands they then seated the enclosures leaving our 'choir' stranded in a poor location that was now seated.

TBO and the UB tried to get things going again in the Copland but this was difficult with the mixture of fans in the stand.

They moved to the Broomloan as this was the area of least resistance ie they could get ST together while inconveniencing the least number of in situ fans.

Rangers dont seem too bothered about a singing section (might be due to the issue of what is sung). Then there is the problem of fans who have held STs for years and with good reason dont want to move.

That's where we're at now. A small, all seated, singing section, in the worst possible location and a pathetic atmosphere. Its a tragedy.

The Derry moved, through choice, when they put bench seats in their traditional area. Using todays locations that was from the Govan at the Rangers' end to where the Copland Stand is now.

My original post tried to explain why our 'choir/Derry' ended up in the enclosures. In essence these were the last areas with standing. They are not good locations and would never have been chosen but there was no where else.

When the club had finished the reconstruction of the 3 new stands they then seated the enclosures leaving our 'choir' stranded in a poor location that was now seated.

TBO and the UB tried to get things going again in the Copland but this was difficult with the mixture of fans in the stand.

They moved to the Broomloan as this was the area of least resistance ie they could get ST together while inconveniencing the least number of in situ fans.

Rangers dont seem too bothered about a singing section (might be due to the issue of what is sung). Then there is the problem of fans who have held STs for years and with good reason dont want to move.

That's where we're at now. A small, all seated, singing section, in the worst possible location and a pathetic atmosphere. Its a tragedy.
I think it’s an interesting subject - definately something that the club has never really got behind and encouraged or enabled in the way that other clubs seem to.

The season ticket aspect and folk having been in the same seats for umpteen years and not moving for anyone is understandable but certainly has got in the way of making a significantly sized area at the Copland end of the ground.
I’ve often wondered about the area under the screen between the Govan & Copland but it might be too small for the numbers? It looks like a prime position though.

I think it’s an interesting subject - definately something that the club has never really got behind and encouraged or enabled in the way that other clubs seem to.

The season ticket aspect and folk having been in the same seats for umpteen years and not moving for anyone is understandable but certainly has got in the way of making a significantly sized area at the Copland end of the ground.
I’ve often wondered about the area under the screen between the Govan & Copland but it might be too small for the numbers? It looks like a prime position though.

There are ST holders in there but none at the corner used by away fans.

Id like to see us put away fans in the far end of the WE. i know this isnt straightforward but it isnt an insurmountable problem. Just a few new turnstiles and a bit of building work plus nets above to stop projectiles. ST holders(I had a seat in there for years) could be offered incentives to move including first option on the new safe standing area.

We then instal rail seating in the corner currently used by away fans and this gives us the option to expand that along the GF and BF.

Can you imagine how that would look on tv?

Was at they games you mention.
Greigs testimonial was the first time i was in a black hackney ,was still at school and came from a wee town miles away.
Thought i was the bees knees.
I remember Andy Cameron being the MC and saying " the Ballboys wouldn't come out because Jaws was on the park",i couldn't tell you, who was in the Scotland ,select .

If you drank in the Hole in the Wall you'll know my brother in law, Glen.

Cole's was always a hoot any time we passed it on the Gartsherrie Derry bus. We used to time our songs so that our Oirish bretheren could hear our tribute to the pontiff.

"I married a 19th Century Terrorist, her name was McGuire,
She ordered my flute to be thrown in the fire
And as it was burning I heard a strange noise,
Was the old orange flute playing the Protestant boys.
Turalu...Turalu...
Was the old flute still playing the Protestant boys."

I know Forsyth's down by Old Monkland Church. Potatoes and veg distributor.
Another blast from the past. My grandpa drank in there, he’s been dead since 97. I did occasionally, usually the odd game and often the OF games when they were at the piggery. Would’ve been 2006/7 the last time I was in it. Must be closed 10 years now.

Back