A recap on stats of our loan players to date (Brief) Season 20/21

Gio#56

Jack Hastie 23 next month, a poor loan season to be fair, has struggled to cement a starting slot at Motherwell and played only 388 minutes all season.

Glen Middleton age 21, Jan transfer to St Johnston and has only played 42 mins of football. Also had poor loans at Hibs and Bradford. I actually rated him highly when first seeing him play for us.

Jamie Murphy, a season loan and now 31 years of age. Has managed to accumulate 1388 minutes of football at Hibs and has featured regularly considering a hamstring injury.

Lewis Mayo, Seems to be heavily involved since his loan deal to Dunfermline. With 1116 minutes of football as a centre back in the championship and only 20 year old.

Jordan Jones age 26, Since joining Sunderland has been involved in all match day squads apart from suspension. 171 minutes since his Jan move.

George Edmundson 23, Since Jan departure has played 3 times for Derby accumulating 183 minutes in the championship.

Brandon Barker 24, Has accumulated 591 game time minutes this season after being a bit part player here. Since his move to league 1 in England 184 minutes on the field.

I wont add all the dev squad players as in all honesty I don't know what clubs they are at / who is out on loan. But one I do know of as he is playing here in my home town is Josh McPake playing in League 2 at Harrogate.

Josh McPake 19, In my opinion having a right good development of his career here in Harrogate. League 2 England is certainly IMO comparable or higher to the Scottish Championship. After early this season playing 585 minutes for Morton in the Scottish Championship, he has went on to play 765 minutes for Harrogate Town. Playing all bar 1 game. Total loan period this season in minutes on the park 1350.

Stats may need updated after this weekend, Please add other development players I have forgotten if you wish.

Edit (Added)

Stephen Kelly 20, Cant believe I missed this lad. Has played 1480 minutes in the centre mid role at Ross County. Another who is certainly getting a great development under his belt.

Kai Kennedy, At 18 years of age has already accumulated 1248 minutes in the Scottish championship with ICT and Raith Rovers, Great development experience.

Robby McCrorie 22, Has played 12 games in the Scottish premiership with Livi. And has 1080 minutes under his belt.

Ben Williamson 19, Since his Jan transfer to championship club Arbroath, Ben has featured in all 8 games. 709 minutes. Ben has featured in 98.5%of available game time. Impressive.

James Maxwell 19, The young left back has made 98.8% of available game time at QoS. Amazing stats of 1956 minutes played. Now thats what I call development experience.

Rhys Breen 21, 451 minutes in league 1 Partick Thistle he has since moved to Championship QoS and has played a further 540 minutes of continues football to date giving a season total of 991 minutes experience.

Dapo Mebude 19, Since Jan transfer to QoS. Dapo has accumulated 183 minutes of football over 4 games. His quarantine due to COVID breach had him being unselected for 180 mins of football.

Last edited:
Very few of these players look like making it with us in all honesty.

Jones, Barker & Edmundson just not at the level we need moving forward. Hopefully they can bring in some income if we decide to sell in the Summer.

Murphy is past it.

Hastie has no chance really.

For Middleton I feel this loan was his last chance saloon but he's done nothing there. Probably needs to move on permanently and nail down his place at a new team to develop his career any further.

Lewis Mayo seems well thought of and still has a chance, but I'm worried by transfermarkt suggesting he's mostly been playing out of position at RB & DM on loan at Dunfermline. Thought Gerrard has always considered him a centre half? Doubt he has much chance making it with us in midfield or at right back.

Don't know how McPake has been playing at Harrogate but I've always liked the look of him and will be interesting to see what he does next season.

Stephen Kelly has been playing a lot of football for Ross County this season, not been following his performances closely but the fact that he's starting the vast majority of games can only be a good thing for his development. He's 20 years old now, what do we think bears? Another year out on loan in the top flight at maybe a level up in terms of club?

Very few of these players look like making it with us in all honesty.

Jones, Barker & Edmundson just not at the level we need moving forward. Hopefully they can bring in some income if we decide to sell in the Summer.

Murphy is past it.

Hastie has no chance really.

For Middleton I feel this loan was his last chance saloon but he's done nothing there. Probably needs to move on permanently and nail down his place at a new team to develop his career any further.

Lewis Mayo seems well thought of and still has a chance, but I'm worried by transfermarkt suggesting he's mostly been playing out of position at RB & DM on loan at Dunfermline. Thought Gerrard has always considered him a centre half? Doubt he has much chance making it with us in midfield or at right back.

Don't know how McPake has been playing at Harrogate but I've always liked the look of him and will be interesting to see what he does next season.

According to local press he (McPake) has had 1 off day so far

Problem is sports press down here are far more relaxed and sometime dont give player ratings after a game.

Stephen Kelly has been playing a lot of football for Ross County this season, not been following his performances closely but the fact that he's starting the vast majority of games can only be a good thing for his development. He's 20 years old now, what do we think bears? Another year out on loan in the top flight at maybe a level up in terms of club?

Might sound harsh but unless he's an absolute stand out for County (I don't think he has been) then I don't think he'll make it at us.

Might sound harsh but unless he's an absolute stand out for County (I don't think he has been) then I don't think he'll make it at us.

I think that is harsh. Glen Kamara didn't start playing regular football for Dundee until 21/22. Before then he just had a couple of uninspiring loan spells at Colchester & Southend.

Kelly still has time on his side. The problem is loans can only do so much for a player I suppose.

Added, sorry totally forgot about this lad and Kai Kennedy

Last edited:
I think that is harsh. Glen Kamara didn't start playing regular football for Dundee until 21/22. Before then he just had a couple of uninspiring loan spells at Colchester & Southend.

Kelly still has time on his side. The problem is loans can only do so much for a player I suppose.
Kelly seems to be doing well at a club where he has to do a lot of difficult heavy lifting defensively.
He will be learning the uglier side of SPL football.
As you say he has time on his side.

The development of players is not always a nice wee even graph upwards and again there are many examples of players finding a different type of game in them as they themselves gain experience, Glen Kamara being a perfect example.

Kelly has done well on loan, every team he has been with he has been one of there best players.
I feel he has to get a chance next season of a squad place at least. I’m not sure if he’ll be good enough, but if players are being loaned out they should be able to see they have a chance.

It probably is harsh but it's probably realistic.

I'd love to see us bring through more youth players but they have to be special players to make it at Rangers.

I could potentially see Kelly playing the role Davis does for us, I think they are similar in size and style, but I'm not sure I've seen enough from him to suggest he has the required ability.

You forgot Dapo Mebude too, he has played 183 minutes for Queen of The South, scored no goals, no assists but got 2 yellow cards. He played for them yesterday even though he was at the party, wonder if he will get a ban too.

Good thread.. Thanks for the time and effort put into original post, its good to get all this info in one place.

Watched some of the QoS v DAFC game yesterday.

Big Mayo was at CB due to usual CB (Murray) being out injured and did fairly well.

Mabude came on about the hour mark and looked very lively and tricky. Both DAFC CB's (Mayo partnered with Paul Watson ex D.Utd) were booked trying to halt his runs. Mayo picking up a 2nd yellow for his challenge and sent off in the dying minutes.

You forgot Dapo Mebude too, he has played 183 minutes for Queen of The South, scored no goals, no assists but got 2 yellow cards. He played for them yesterday even though he was at the party, wonder if he will get a ban too.

Interesting that Mebude played yesterday. Wonder if Sutton will slate the QotS management. But to be fair they are only doing what celtic did with Duffy.

Watched some of the QoS v DAFC game yesterday.

Big Mayo was at CB due to usual CB (Murray) being out injured and did fairly well.

Mabude came on about the hour mark and looked very lively and tricky. Both DAFC CB's (Mayo partnered with Paul Watson ex D.Utd) were booked trying to halt his runs. Mayo picking up a 2nd yellow for his challenge and sent off in the dying minutes.

Mayo looked decent against Lyon in pre season. Was only 25 odd mins but didn’t look out of place up against Dembele.

Mebude- every time I watch him I think he looks really good. The stand out performance was for Scotland against Germany under 19’s playing a loan striker role. Held the ball up well and could take a man on despite a 6foot German back line.

Hope he gets a chance because I reckon he could surprise a few people.

Watched middleton come on against Celtic in Perth and he was an instant improvement, running into space in the final 3rd with the ball and looking dangerous.

He is a young boy and has shown with his time at us he has talent there.

Wouldn't be like FF to cast him off so quickly...

Give the boy time, he has it on his side and could become a top player.

Rangers loan watch: Jones comes to life at Sunderland as Mayo sees red for Pars​

By James Cairney @JamesCairneyHTSports Writer
Jordan Jones celebrates after scoring his first goal for Sunderland

PREMIUM​

Jordan Jones celebrates after scoring his first goal for Sunderland

0 comment

RANGERS may not have been in action this weekend after the players got a well-earned rest following their thrilling 9-5 aggregate win over Royal Antwerp in the Europa League, but there were plenty of youngsters sent away on loan from Ibrox who got some valuable game-time this weekend.
Here, Times Sport takes a look at how the loan Rangers got on at their respective clubs - with some faring better than others.
Jamie Murphy (Hibernian)
Glasgow Times:

Started in his side's 2-0 defeat to Motherwell on Saturday but never really got going. Played in a more central role than he is perhaps used to but still drifted left when he could. Hooked shortly after half-time.

Jordan Jones (Sunderland)
Glasgow Times:

Got his first goal for the Black Cats in their 2-2 draw away to Crewe Alexandra and it was an important one, too. With the hosts leading 2-0, Jones pulled one back for Sunderland with 15 minutes to go until Chris Maguire scored a 97th-minute equaliser to ensure a share of the spoils in England's third tier.

Stephen Kelly (Ross County)
Glasgow Times:

Lasted the full 90 minutes against St Mirren but was unable to prevent a 1-0 defeat for the Staggies. Completed 42 of the 52 passes he attempted and finished the game with six interceptions.
Brandon Barker (Oxford United)
Glasgow Times:

Got the nod to start on the left wing but will be disappointed with his performance. Was replaced by striker Dan Agyei with 20 minutes to go with his side trailing and it proved to be a shrewd call - the substitute went on to tee up Elliot Lee for a 97th-minute equaliser.
Ben Williamson (Arbroath)
Glasgow Times:

Played the full 90 minutes as Dick Campbell's Red Lichties sealed a huge 1-0 victory over relegation rivals Ayr United. The midfielder kept things ticking over and put in a solid - if unspectacular - display.
James Maxwell (Queen of the South)
Glasgow Times:

Has become a first-team regular at Palmerston this season and the left-back's development is coming along nicely. Played his part as Queens stretched their winning run to three games.

Rhys Breen (Queen of the South)
Glasgow Times:

The young centre-half had his loan at Partick Thistle cut short before he was shipped out once again in January, this time to join up with Allan Johnston's side. Kept Dunfermline quiet as Queen recorded their second clean sheet in thier last three outings.
Dapo Mebude (Queen of the South)
Glasgow Times:

Clambered off the bench to make his first appearance since breaching Covid health guidelines. Got the last half hour and picked up a silly booking.
Lewis Mayo (Dunfermline)
Glasgow Times:

Another loan Ranger who has recently spent time on loan at Firhill. The centre-back had an afternoon to forget against Queens with Mayo being dismissed for a second yellow card in stoppage time at Palmerston.
Kai Kennedy (Raith Rovers)
Glasgow Times:

Played a crucial role as Raith came from behind to overcome Alloa. Set up Regan Hendry in the 84th minute to nudge the Kirkcaldy outfit back in front and was subbed off for Jamie Gullan five minutes later, with his replacement sealing the win with a third momens after coming on.
Josh McPake (Harrogate Town)
Glasgow Times:

Quiet afternoon for the winger. Started on the left and played the full 90 minutes in his side's 1-0 win over Grimsby. Will be hoping to offer more in future games.
Did not feature:
Glenn Middleton (St Johnstone), George Edmundson (Derby County).

Of the ones on that list, the ones I’ve been most impressed with

Kelly
Maxwell
Kennedy

Middleton done well when I seen him a few Weiss and Williamson got MOTM the only game I saw him.

Mayo hasn’t played a lot at CB due to the form of their current pairing, which is fair enough and I think he played midfield for Thistle too.

Any time I've seen him play at youth level, I've been impressed by Williamson, but those who watch the youths regularly have never really mentioned him. Could be coincidence on my part.

From social media evidence it seems Harrogate fans really like McPake. It's hard to imagine any more than one of him, Kennedy, Hastie or Middleton really nailing a place with us in the long term, but I think all of them (even Hastie) will have decent careers in the game.

Back