A Scottish Rangers XI

MO_TxTruBlu

Here is one to get us all arguing.

A Scottish Rangers XI

..................................................A.Goram

S.Jardine...............G.Young...............W.Woodburn............E.Caldow

..................J.Greig...........D.Meiklejohn.............J.Baxter

W.Henderson.................A.McCoist........................... A.Morton

8 of my 11 selected, are in the 11 most capped Rangers players (whilst at Rangers).
The other 3 are Meiklejohn, Woodburn and Baxter.

A Scottish Rangers XI

8 of my 11 selected, are in the 11 most capped Rangers players (whilst at Rangers).
That some side.

Goram

Jardine
Gough
Brown
Greig

Cooper
B. Ferguson
Baxter
W. Henderson

Mccoist
D. Johnstone

Dawson
Gray
Shaw
Brown
Simpson
Gibson
Waddell
Gillick
Reid
McPherson
Smith

Just to pick 11 not in the OP, which is a magnificent team.

Or

Brown
N Smith
Drummond
Gordon
Forsyth
Cox
Archibald
McMillan
Hamilton
McPhail
Wilson

What a history we have. Not got Willie Thornton, Andy Cunningham, Bobby Shearer, Davie Cooper, DJ or Jimmy Smith in there yet!

Dawson
Gray
Shaw
Brown
Simpson
Gibson
Waddell
Gillick
Reid
McPherson
Smith

Just to pick 11 not in the OP, which is a magnificent team.

Or

Brown
N Smith
Drummond
Gordon
Forsyth
Cox
Archibald
McMillan
Hamilton
McPhail
Wilson

What a history we have. Not got Willie Thornton, Andy Cunningham, Bobby Shearer, Davie Cooper, DJ or Jimmy Smith in there yet!

Show off. ;)

First game at Ibrox was 1984, so based on players I have seen since then:

Goram
Hutton Gough Weir Robertson
Durrant Souness Barry Coop
McCoist Boyd

A few others were options but there you go.

Shagger
Hutton
Gough
Brown
Robertson
McCann
Ferguson
McCall
Cooper
Miller
Mccoist

From a more modern day gers team just off the top of my head players that I have supported

I’ll just pick one from players I saw play for us either in person or live on tv (so from 1983 onwards). And I know that means I miss some legends…

Goram
Durrant Souness B.Ferguson Cooper
McCoist M.Johnston

A Scottish Rangers XI

I’d have Ian McMillan in midfield with Davie Meicklejohn dropping in beside willie Woodburn , perhaps another forward for wee willie Henderson , either Waddell , Colin Stein , big DJ or Thornton , or Sandy Archibald.

Nice team orig poster & nice thread

BUT you’ve no John Greig

I know mate, it's an absolute nightmare.

Could probably only put him in for Durrant, but they were completely different types of players.

Eric Caldow is a stick on at left back, so I need to find a place in the midfield for him.

First game at Ibrox was 1984, so based on players I have seen since then:

Goram
Durrant Souness Barry Coop
McCoist Boyd

A few others were options but there you go.
I fear McCoist and Boyd are way to similar

I fear McCoist and Boyd are way to similar
I fear the same but don't think we have to worry about it too much!! B-D B-D

Originally had Mo Johnston but decided against that.

McCoist did more running than he is given credit for!! B-D B-D

Based on reputation..... as I only saw 4 of them play live and they'd all passed their peak.

Goram

Jardine Gough Woodburn Caldow

McMillan Baxter Durrant (pre injury)

Henderson DJ McCoist

I know mate, it's an absolute nightmare.

Could probably only put him in for Durrant, but they were completely different types of players.

Eric Caldow is a stick on at left back, so I need to find a place in the midfield for him.

Oh Dear, NO John Greig!
Looks like I am stalking you today.:))

John Greig was never a Left Back for Scotland, so Caldow is indeed a stick on for that spot.
Greig did play Right Back and Centre Back on occasions for Scotland, but was mainly deployed
as a Right Half (Midfielder) for both Rangers and Scotland.

John Greig made his Scotland debut at 21 years of age, against England at Hampden in 1964, as Scotland won 1-0 to complete their only three on a trot wins v England in the 20th Century.
He would go on to play in every one of Scotland's next 21 Internationals, over the next three years, by which time he was Captaining the National side to it's most famous victory ever,
by humiliating World Champions England, 3-2 at Wembley in 1967.
He missed Scotland's next game, a friendly v Russia, that no Rangers players took part in as they prepared for the ECWC Final.

Between April 1964, and May 1971, John Greig played in 43 of Scotland's 46 Internationals.
A phenomenal achievement, when you consider that Scotland had an abundance of World Class, and International class Half Backs (midfielders), to choose from during that period, such as
Billy Bremner, Dave MacKay, Bobby Murdoch and Pat Crerand, who were all winning League Titles, and European trophies, during that period that Rangers and John Greig did not.
John Greig won more Caps during that period, than those Four players combined did.
You could also throw in Frank McLintock and Pat Stanton as serious competition for a midfield berth during that period.
As automatic as Jim Baxter was Scotland's Left Half (with no one to compare/compete with him),
John Greig was an automatic pick, despite the many great options he was competing against.

Ian Durrant (pre injury) played 5 times for Scotland, none of which I would consider memorable.
Durrant won a further 6 caps after he recovered, with only one win (2-0 v Malta).
His other 9 Caps came as a Kilmarnock player!

Ian McMillan won 1 Cap for Scotland, whilst at Rangers ( a 0-4 defeat to Czechoslovakia).

Based on players I’ve seen live

Andy Goram

David Robertson
Richard Gough
David Weir
Alan Hutton

Ian Ferguson
Graeme Souness
Barry Ferguson

Ian Durrant
Davie Cooper
Ally McCoist

Subs - Alan McGregor, John Brown, Kevin Thomson, Neil McCann, Kris Boyd

Oh Dear, NO John Greig!
Looks like I am stalking you today.:))

John Greig was never a Left Back for Scotland, so Caldow is indeed a stick on for that spot.
Greig did play Right Back and Centre Back on occasions for Scotland, but was mainly deployed
as a Right Half (Midfielder) for both Rangers and Scotland.

John Greig made his Scotland debut at 21 years of age, against England at Hampden in 1964, as Scotland won 1-0 to complete their only three on a trot wins v England in the 20th Century.
He would go on to play in every one of Scotland's next 21 Internationals, over the next three years, by which time he was Captaining the National side to it's most famous victory ever,
by humiliating World Champions England, 3-2 at Wembley in 1967.
He missed Scotland's next game, a friendly v Russia, that no Rangers players took part in as they prepared for the ECWC Final.

Between April 1964, and May 1971, John Greig played in 43 of Scotland's 46 Internationals.
A phenomenal achievement, when you consider that Scotland had an abundance of World Class, and International class Half Backs (midfielders), to choose from during that period, such as
Billy Bremner, Dave MacKay, Bobby Murdoch and Pat Crerand, who were all winning League Titles, and European trophies, during that period that Rangers and John Greig did not.
John Greig won more Caps during that period, than those Four players combined did.
You could also throw in Frank McLintock and Pat Stanton as serious competition for a midfield berth during that period.
As automatic as Jim Baxter was Scotland's Left Half (with no one to compare/compete with him),
John Greig was an automatic pick, despite the many great options he was competing against.

Ian Durrant (pre injury) played 5 times for Scotland, none of which I would consider memorable.
Durrant won a further 6 caps after he recovered, with only one win (2-0 v Malta).
His other 9 Caps came as a Kilmarnock player!

Ian McMillan won 1 Cap for Scotland, whilst at Rangers ( a 0-4 defeat to Czechoslovakia).

That's me put in my place. B-)

Players ive seen
Goram
Jardine Gough Forsyth Greig[c] obviously
Durrant B Ferguson I Ferguson Cooper
DJ Super
7 of them played under big Jock at some point so im having him as manager especially if the imaginary game is versus the filth

A Scottish Rangers XI

The difficulty with Scottish caps is that at different times they are easier to gain than at others.
However, it hasn't affected this eleven who were all recognised Rangers greats.
The other problem is that players from the very early days have few remaining modern reservoirs of recognition from which to stake their claims.
Caps also back then were few and far between.
So no Neilly Gibson for instance.
However, my own father would have liked that side although he would argue that Bob McPhail is a glaring omission and he had lived to watch Super Ally and to make the comparison.

Mgregor

Hutton Weir Gough Wallace

Souness .b Ferguson. Kevin Thomson

Miller McCann
Super ally

I’d have Ian McMillan in midfield with Davie Meicklejohn dropping in beside willie Woodburn , perhaps another forward for wee willie Henderson , either Waddell , Colin Stein , big DJ or Thornton , or Sandy Archibald.

Nice team orig poster & nice thread
Let the arguing begin ;)

I can see the competition for Henderson, with Waddell and Archibald as serious contenders, but Henderson gets the nod for me, given his status as a World Class Winger, who was selected for World XI's and Europe XI's, plus he is my Avatar.

I'm struggling with your selection of Ian McMillan at the expense of George Young if I am reading that correctly?

I know they are as completely different players as chalk and cheese,
but 1 Cap Ian McMillan, over 54 Caps George Young,
a record he held for 17 years until Denis Law won his 55th and final Cap.
George Young Captained Scotland 48 times, that is still a record today, some 64 years on.

From players I've seen.

Goram
Hutton Gough Brown Robertson
McCall I.Ferguson B.Ferguson
Durrant McCann
McCoist

That was harder than I thought.

Let the arguing begin ;)

I can see the competition for Henderson, with Waddell and Archibald as serious contenders, but Henderson gets the nod for me, given his status as a World Class Winger, who was selected for World XI's and Europe XI's, plus he is my Avatar.

I'm struggling with your selection of Ian McMillan at the expense of George Young if I am reading that correctly?

I know they are as completely different players as chalk and cheese,
but 1 Cap Ian McMillan, over 54 Caps George Young,
a record he held for 17 years until Denis Law won his 55th and final Cap.
George Young Captained Scotland 48 times, that is still a record today, some 64 years on.
My old man was born in 1940 , brought up in airdrie , he watched Ian McMillan strut his stuff for years , then when Scott Symon signed him in 58 , my dad & his pals jumped on the train to olde Ibrox . So I’ve an emotional connection with the wee prime minister mate .

I told that story on here before about my dad & his mates following McMillan into Ibrox , & someone replied , “ your da , his mates & 2 thousand others “

Incredible that no one has Bud Johnston in their team.
It is, and Bud still is one of my all time heroes, but there is some serious competition for that left wing berth when you have to consider Alec Smith, Alan Morton, Davy Wilson, and Davie Cooper.

Surprisingly, Johnston only won 9 Caps whilst at Rangers, which is less than the likes of
Steven Thompson and Billy Dodds won whilst at Rangers!:eek:

McGregor.

McPherson,
MacKinnon,
McAdam
McLaren

McLean
Macmillan
Macdonald
McInnes

McCoist
McMinn

Maybe not the best X1. But all Mac's/MC's.

I am definitely getting too old for this as I am a 2-3-5 man.

Goram

Greig Caldow

Souness Young Baxter

Henderson McMillan McCoist Forrest Wilson

I am stuck for a right half which is why I have Souness in there.

It is, and Bud still is one of my all time heroes, but there is some serious competition for that left wing berth when you have to consider Alec Smith, Alan Morton, Davy Wilson, and Davie Cooper.

Surprisingly, Johnston only won 9 Caps whilst at Rangers, which is less than the likes of
Steven Thompson and Billy Dodds won whilst at Rangers!:eek:
What a great selection headache for a manager.

Back