A Season With Verona - update

I took a day trip to Verona when I was in Venice last year, beautiful city. Hired a couple of bikes and took a cycle up to their stadium to find it's a total eyesore of a stadium, fish markets in the car parks and that, absolutley stinking

Remember reading that the coach roped groups of players together in training sessions, that way they learned to operate as a unit rather than individuals, always knew where their team mates were.

I took a day trip to Verona when I was in Venice last year, beautiful city. Hired a couple of bikes and took a cycle up to their stadium to find it's a total eyesore of a stadium, fish markets in the car parks and that, absolutley stinking
Correct on both counts. Beautiful city, which I actually preferred to Venice after the obvious novelty factor wore off. But the stadium is utterly dire.

You always noticed a Scottish saltire behind their right hand goal when they were on telly and fans were allowed.

Correct on both counts. Beautiful city, which I actually preferred to Venice after the obvious novelty factor wore off. But the stadium is utterly dire.
I even said to my mrs that I preffered it to Venice also, just for the simple fact that you could hire a bike and not have to walk 30k steps a day! The stadium looks like something from a Call of Duty map

The access Parks get is amazing.

Incredible insight into what life at a fairly middling Italian club was actually like during Serie A’s golden era; far removed from Milan and Turin.

For anyone interested in Italian football culture, Ultras by Tobias Jones is a great read.

Incredible insight into what life at a fairly middling Italian club was actually like during Serie A’s golden era; far removed from Milan and Turin.

For anyone interested in Italian football culture, Ultras by Tobias Jones is a great read.
Really struggled getting in to that Ultras book, was bored by 3 chapters and never finished it.

Listened to a 2 part podcast on Golazo podcast on Italian Ultras, Tobias Jones was on it. Great couple of hours listening.

Listened to a 2 part podcast on Golazo podcast on Italian Ultras, Tobias Jones was on it. Great couple of hours listening.
I listened to that and found it good, book just seemed to drag to me but it probably gets better as it goes on. The Italian part of the 1312 book is very interesting.

Great book, on a similar note 'The Miracle Of Castel Di Sangro' is a good read, it details a small-town club's first ever season in Serie B.

Have never been to the football there but Verona is an amazing place to visit, Thoroughly recommend it. A few years ago I spent an afternoon drinking and people watching at a cafe bar near the big coliseum type arena while the Mrs was hammering the credit card in the shops. Great wee place.

Great book, on a similar note 'The Miracle Of Castel Di Sangro' is a good read, it details a small-town club's first ever season in Serie B.
Was going to post the same, haven’t read the Verona book so can’t comment on it, but “The Miracle...” is the best sports book I’ve ever read.

Really struggled getting in to that Ultras book, was bored by 3 chapters and never finished it.
Persevere with it, it’s not bad but obviously jumps around a lot with stories about his trips with Cosenza and the background to their curva interspersed with a variety of stories involving clubs in the rest of Italy.

Ultimately felt the book was a bit underwhelming myself and it didn’t quite get as engaging or interesting as it should have

Back