A sort of VAR

Midfield General

The reasons put forward for not using VAR in Scotland is cost.Every game in our league is televised,surely having a monitor which the 4th official can see would not break the bank.We seem to be on the wrong end of poor officiating on a regular basis.If we had this in place we would not have drawn yesterday and suffered from other poor decisions.I can't see how anyone can object as it would mean these decisions would "level out" as we are told should happen.
It seems simple,unless I am missing something here.

The reasons put forward for not using VAR in Scotland is cost.Every game in our league is televised,surely having a monitor which the 4th official can see would not break the bank.We seem to be on the wrong end of poor officiating on a regular basis.If we had this in place we would not have drawn yesterday and suffered from other poor decisions.I can't see how anyone can object as it would mean these decisions would "level out" as we are told should happen.
Have you seen Var in the premier league? It’s still a mess, not sure if I would want it up here yet.

Have you seen Var in the premier league? It’s still a mess, not sure if I would want it up here yet.

Eh? Surely not. I get the whole its fucked and ruins the game argument, but after that weekend and the previous one and the one before that, it would be harder for them to cheat against us.

Where would we get trustworthy officials to make correct decisions using VAR. We had 3 clown referees,probably of the rc variety looking at conclusive evidence in honest peoples eyes of the assault on Morelos last week and look what happened. They can't be trusted to be fair here.

1 team don't want it, as most decisions go in their favour and it would be like a turkey voting for Christmas.

10 teams don't want it, as decisions roughly balance themselves out over the season, so there would be no great benefit gained from the additional cost.

That leaves us, on our own, as the only team who would benefit from VAR and the only team wanting to see it implemented.

Where would we get trustworthy officials to make correct decisions using VAR. We had 3 clown referees,probably of the rc variety looking at conclusive evidence in honest peoples eyes of the assault on Morelos last week and look what happened. They can't be trusted to be fair here.
So the whole tv audience can clearly see the offsidein the lead up to their second "goal" there is no way that would be given.
How daft would an official look with the still frame clearly showing the guy offside and he says he isn't.

1 team don't want it, as most decisions go in their favour and it would be like a turkey voting for Christmas.

10 teams don't want it, as decisions roughly balance themselves out over the season, so there would be no great benefit gained from the additional cost.

That leaves us, on our own, as the only team who would benefit from VAR and the only team wanting to see it implemented.
Sorry mate but you don't know 10 teams don't want it,believe it or not the Tim's think everyone is out to get them and this would benefit them.They constantly bang on about everyone wanting to stop their fictitious ten.

I cant understand how any Rangers supporter would not want it up here. The points difference over a season would be considerable to our advantage.. Can anyone explain how it wouldnt be?

So the whole tv audience can clearly see the offsidein the lead up to their second "goal" there is no way that would be given.
How daft would an official look with the still frame clearly showing the guy offside and he says he isn't.
As daft as the ones who clearly see it on the pitch as well as seeing players being kicked,elbowed ,stamped on etc and ignoring it. I just don't think we can trust anyone to give a decision our way no matter how blatant and maybe that is why we won't see VAR in scotland for a long time.

Sorry mate but you don't know 10 teams don't want it,believe it or not the Tim's think everyone is out to get them and this would benefit them.They constantly bang on about everyone wanting to stop their fictitious ten.

Lieswell & Lennon both publicly stated last season that they didn't want VAR.

One of the newspapers also did a survey of other clubs and they all said that the cost would be inhibitive.

As daft as the ones who clearly see it on the pitch as well as seeing players being kicked,elbowed ,stamped on etc and ignoring it. I just don't think we can trust anyone to give a decision our way no matter how blatant and maybe that is why we won't see VAR in scotland for a long time.
The tramps used to come out with this stuff back in the 90s don't get dragged down to their paranoid level.We can't continue with the status quo.

The tramps used to come out with this stuff back in the 90s don't get dragged down to their paranoid level.We can't continue with the status quo.
Maybe we have real reasons to distrust the people who run the game here.Their record speaks volumes for them.

Lieswell & Lennon both publicly stated last season that they didn't want VAR.

One of the newspapers also did a survey of other clubs and they all said that the cost would be inhibitive.
If Liewell doesent want it we definetly need it.As for the other Clubs as you point out it isthecost that puts them off ,that's why I am suggesting we use existing technology as the cameras are already at the game all you would need is a monitor for the 4th official.Even if you don't trust him the Tv people review every contentious decision.Every manager on the losing side after every game always has a complaint,this cheap version of VAR would clear unclear decisions up,leaving officials dodgy or not nowhere to hide.

How anyone could object? Because it won’t be to Celtic’s advantage?!

I don't want VAR in Scotland for a few reasons but one of the main ones is how it takes a big part away from celebrating a goal when you need to wait for a VAR decision. From a supporters point of view the instant reaction when celebrating a goal is the best part, so anything that messes with that will be a further step in reducing the enjoyment of being at a game.

Just needs to be a proper unbiased review of refereeing decisions by an independent panel after every game. The panel should use video evidence to review incidents. The panel then provide a report that is publicly available to all, which summarises the referees decisions and which team they benefit. The bias in refereeing decisions would become obvious fairly quickly then corrective action would be taken to ensure the worst referees are dealt with.

We know there's some kind of refereeing bias in action against Rangers but it needs to be illustrated more clearly before neutrals will accept it.

Only way I can think of making the bias clearer is scoring referees performance using a standard scoring template. For example, game changing decisions could be worth 5 points. These would be things like penalties, sending off, ball over the goal line. Bookings, corners, throw-ins and rest would be given a lesser number of points. The review panel would award each team the relevant number of points when they get a wrong decision in their favour. For most games we would expect Rangers to come out with a significantly lower score than the other team as we don't usually benefit from incorrect refereeing decisions. For example in the last Celtic Rangers game at Parkhead where Clancy was the referee then it wouldn't surprise me if Celtic ended up with a score of over 30 due to 5 or 6 match changing decisions all incorrectly going their way. That one game would set alarm bells ringing about that referee, although in most cases it would take longer to work out if there were issues with certain referees.

Once this data started to build up over a month or two I think it would be obvious that there's a problem with quite a few referees in Scotland. If not then there would be evidence at hand to prove the wrong decisions even themselves out and everything is fair as possible.

The only game at Ibrox we’ve had VAR ( I think it’s the only one anyway ) was Leverkusen and it awarded a penalty against us. Those who think this will magically solve all our problems are badly mistaken.

They'll just do what Michael Stewart suggested on the dreadful BBC highlights programme.

"Move the footage on a frame and the Hibs player was onside".

I kid you not, he actually said that.

I don't want VAR in Scotland for a few reasons but one of the main ones is how it takes a big part away from celebrating a goal when you need to wait for a VAR decision. From a supporters point of view the instant reaction when celebrating a goal is the best part, so anything that messes with that will be a further step in reducing the enjoyment of being at a game.

Just needs to be a proper unbiased review of refereeing decisions by an independent panel after every game. The panel should use video evidence to review incidents. The panel then provide a report that is publicly available to all, which summarises the referees decisions and which team they benefit. The bias in refereeing decisions would become obvious fairly quickly then corrective action would be taken to ensure the worst referees are dealt with.

We know there's some kind of refereeing bias in action against Rangers but it needs to be illustrated more clearly before neutrals will accept it.

Only way I can think of making the bias clearer is scoring referees performance using a standard scoring template. For example, game changing decisions could be worth 5 points. These would be things like penalties, sending off, ball over the goal line. Bookings, corners, throw-ins and rest would be given a lesser number of points. The review panel would award each team the relevant number of points when they get a wrong decision in their favour. For most games we would expect Rangers to come out with a significantly lower score than the other team as we don't usually benefit from incorrect refereeing decisions. For example in the last Celtic Rangers game at Parkhead where Clancy was the referee then it wouldn't surprise me if Celtic ended up with a score of over 30 due to 5 or 6 match changing decisions all incorrectly going their way. That one game would set alarm bells ringing about that referee, although in most cases it would take longer to work out if there were issues with certain referees.

Once this data started to build up over a month or two I think it would be obvious that there's a problem with quite a few referees in Scotland. If not then there would be evidence at hand to prove the wrong decisions even themselves out and everything is fair as possible.
Fair enough mate,you have put some thought into this,VAR or this cheaper option that I am proposing is not perfect.
If we go down the review panel route,who would pick the panel and who would be on it.?God forbid it would be pundits,they don't even know the rules.It could only be refs or ex refs and they are not going to hang their colleagues out to dry.
If you go down the technology route this takes incompetence and cheating out of the equation.It would also right any wrongs immediately,if you go down the retrospective route it's too late the game has finished.

The only game at Ibrox we’ve had VAR ( I think it’s the only one anyway ) was Leverkusen and it awarded a penalty against us. Those who think this will magically solve all our problems are badly mistaken.
Yes it won't always go for you but it can right wrongs like Sunday and the LCF.

They get their own way because,in our absence they have gained too much influence with their place men.
You can accept that or start making waves and fight back.
I don’t disagree. I was answering the question of why VAR wasnt brought in. Because the mentally challengeds would suffer the most.

I’d rather be on the wrong end of VAR decisions that were correct more often than not rather than what we’re getting just now.

Scotland needs var more than any other nation in fact only 2 sporting bodies need VAR the spfl as it’s full of cheats and any vote that’s concluded at fifa

Because if we did Celtic would have dropped 2 points against Livi and we’d have beat hibs.
4 point swing
I don't think so if the Compliance Officer is anything to go by, I think it would be compromised and we'd end up with an Aldi version.

Back