A strong starting 11 and a new found strength in depth.

Bornabear

With the new additions to the squad what do we rekon will be out strongest starting 11? With only the league and one cup to focus on I'd like to see us now use a mostly unchanged 11 at least in the league.
Shagger​
Tav Goldson Worral Barasic
Jack​
Arfield Davis​
Morelos Defoe Kent

This allows us to give Defoe 60 minutes in most games before subbing him off for a winger and moving Morelos through the middle. Imagine having to face Candeias or Middleton as a tired fullback having just been run ragged by Morelos and Defoe for the past hour. This will keep Defoe fresh and also give Morelos plenty of time to flourish in his natural position through the middle.
Although Davis is more likely to comfortably last the duration we also have the great midfield options on the bench in Kamara and Mcrorie. Things are about to get very interesting bears. Let's go.

Morelos has to be central for me mate if both play they have to go through the middle
He can play as a narrow forward, the same way Mane does for Liverpool, you often see Morelos on that right hand side anyway causing chaos but not as an actual winger.

It's worth trying anyway and of course there will be other formations that could also work.

Excited to see how it plays out

Last edited:
Notice in one of the RTV player interviews yesterday they showed a training clip where Morelos and Defoe were working on a drill playing up front together.

Not sure what system we will play but I fully expect both to be starting games. If we can get them linking up together well we will start destroying teams

Despite our options and numbers I still think we lack creativity and goals from the wider areas. Kent aside.

Middleton isn't ready for continued starts. Good player tho. Grezda hasn't shown anything. Candieas is great for a certain type of fixture and a good player but isn't what's needed for run of the mill games sometimes.

Despite our options and numbers I still think we lack creativity and goals from the wider areas. Kent aside.

Middleton isn't ready for continued starts. Good player tho. Grezda hasn't shown anything. Candieas is great for a certain type of fixture and a good player but isn't what's needed for run of the mill games sometimes.
Morelos as a narrow winger might help to resolve this? Can see him getting a shot off from the wider areas and Defoe ready to poach on the loose ball if the keeper cant keep a hold of it.

He can play as a narrow forward, the same way Mane does for Liverpool, you often see Morelos on that right hand side anyway causing chaos but not as an actual winger.

It's worth trying anyway and of course there will be other formations that could also work.

Especially as Tav can supply the width down the right, important though for a midfielder to sit in and cover when Tav’s up the park

With the OP's team, you can have Kent in a free role behind the 2 strikers and naturally gravitating to whatever side we're attacking down. i.e if it's with Tav, head to the right, if Barasic, head to the left, if centrally through Jack then stay central.

With the OP's team, you can have Kent in a free role behind the 2 strikers and naturally gravitating to whatever side we're attacking down. i.e if it's with Tav, head to the right, if Barasic, head to the left, if centrally through Jack then stay central.
A dream role for any attacker and could entice Kent to make the move permanent if he was at all unsure.

Play Defoe upfront with Kent on the left and I would play Morelos out on right of the front three his favourite finish is always drilling it acrosss goal from that angle.

Why do so many posters want to bring Kent in from the wing? "play him in the hole", " a free role behind the strikers", "he's a number 10" etc.
What is the reason for this? I get that a Krancjar-type would be an asset but what makes you think Kent would be better in there where it's congested than out wide where he can use his pace and sitting 'international' defenders on their arses?

Think we would lose a bit if Morelos moves out right when we are defending. He is amazing at holding the ball up, don't see Defoe doing much of that.

Yes that is my team also. We need Kent to be scoring more also. To play with the front 3 system like Liverpool do we need the wide forwards to he scoring 10/15 plus per season IMO. With candeias you don't get that and I'm not sure we ever will. Kent seems to get into better scoring opportunities so think it will come with him.

That's it the front 3 interchange.
Harder to defend when they are swapping about, going short going long.
No set positions for me!!

With the new additions to the squad what do we rekon will be out strongest starting 11? With only the league and one cup to focus on I'd like to see us now use a mostly unchanged 11 at least in the league.
Shagger​
Tav Goldson Worral Barasic
Jack​
Arfield Davis​
Morelos Defoe Kent

This allows us to give Defoe 60 minutes in most games before subbing him off for a winger and moving Morelos through the middle. Imagine having to face Candeias or Middleton as a tired fullback having just been run ragged by Morelos and Defoe for the past hour. This will keep Defoe fresh and also give Morelos plenty of time to flourish in his natural position through the middle.
Although Davis is more likely to comfortably last the duration we also have the great midfield options on the bench in Kamara and Mcrorie. Things are about to get very interesting bears. Let's go.
Good call OP.

I think we should all be aware by now that Stevie G doesn't do a "starting eleven".

It's about the collective.

I reckon this winter break is a perfect time for the management team to work on a new formation to start both Defoe and Morelos together. Reason it might not have worked so far is because of the lack of time to work on things between games. All season so far has been play game, recover, play next game. Maybe this break will allow the players to be drilled on a new formation, maybe 4-1-3-2?

Back