Article A tribute to Walter Smith by the Govanhill Gub

That is an excellent piece, and there is one part of it I really like, regarding Paul Le Guen, that I really welcome as well, but overall the reflection on Walter's time at Rangers is one that brings it all into a fine perspective. Yesterday, and last night, has been heavy, hopefully a win tonight can do the memory of Walter proud, and we can go on and win this league campaign for him.

Tremendous - took me back to the printed version of FF there where passionate supporters took time to prepare well thought out articles. We live in a fast moving world now where too often it is half a dozen words and an emoji.

I’m commenting here so I get the notifications to remind me to read this when I’m not at work.

Enjoyed that I wonder if Walter savoured his 3 in a row Titles more than his 9 , it really proved how much a quality a manger he was we thank you one again Walter a true Ranger who more than Welcomed the Chase.

Excellent read Gub.

The 'W' and 'S' never really registered with me before (well observed and so appropriate).

Enjoyed that I wonder if Walter savoured his 3 in a row Titles more than his 9 , it really proved how much a quality a manger he was we thank you one again Walter a true Ranger who more than Welcomed the Chase.
I think most tend to adhere to the view that his second stint, shorter as it was, was overall more impressive than his first.

Which does sound a little strange given the slew of titles and trophies he delivered in those first seven years - NIAR, a treble and a CL semi final among it - but second time around we were up against a Celtic side that could outspend us as opposed to the other way around and yet he put them back in their box almost the minute he got in the door (he would surely have won the title in 2008 had it not been for the collusion of the Yahoos and their lackeys to cheat us out of it) and kept them there for the duration taking us to only our fourth European final in the process.

I’ll admit to having been against his return, seeing it as a retrogressive step at the time, but with hindsight there really wasn’t another manager on the planet who could have picked up the disaster Le Guen had left and turned it around so dramatically and instantaneously and that really was a testament of the man’s towering genius.

He really was the last of his breed.

Last edited:
249324011_3206949882860489_6132608889227722969_n.jpg

'A man we should all be proud served our club.'

That's how I'm feeling this morning amongst the sadness.

Back