A wee picture tribute to J Hubbard

There is something wonderfully romantic and quintessentially peerless about that photograph; it is of a man totally at peace with where he is, completely in love with his surroundings and humbled by his good fortune. He was part of the fabric of the club and became an important and vital part of the club’s DNA, mixing with fans, players and officials alike, treating everyone with the same courtesy and kindness. He was a gentleman in the truest sense of the word and an utter credit to the club and and to his family. He was a role model with a presence that, in his later years, belied his stature. He was a giant amongst men and embodied everything that is great about being a Ranger. It speaks volumes of the man that the outpouring of grief and sadness at his passing is so profound and heartfelt. The epithet legend is thrown around these days far too easily but, in this case, it is entirely accurate yet somehow not enough.

What a wonderful tribute, thanks for sharing.

DgNzGSrXkAAbuNW

Some of the pictures I’ve done of Johnny Hubbard.

I remember his 80th - fantastic night and I have my copy of the painting on the wall at home.
It was a fantastic tribute to a wonderful Human being.

Is my memory playing tricks though, was Bobby Brown, Billie Ritchie and the Goalie not there.
I've memories of them sitting right beside us? Possible another night - there's been a few :)

My grandad was gutted when i told him yesterday he was one of his favorites. Says Johnny was a cracking snooker player in his day as well,could have made a living out of snooker he said.

There is something wonderfully romantic and quintessentially peerless about that photograph; it is of a man totally at peace with where he is, completely in love with his surroundings and humbled by his good fortune. He was part of the fabric of the club and became an important and vital part of the club’s DNA, mixing with fans, players and officials alike, treating everyone with the same courtesy and kindness. He was a gentleman in the truest sense of the word and an utter credit to the club and and to his family. He was a role model with a presence that, in his later years, belied his stature. He was a giant amongst men and embodied everything that is great about being a Ranger. It speaks volumes of the man that the outpouring of grief and sadness at his passing is so profound and heartfelt. The epithet legend is thrown around these days far too easily but, in this case, it is entirely accurate yet somehow not enough.
Great post sir! I'm 65 years old and shook wee Johnny's hand many a time, he had time for everyone, a truly wonderful human being... and of course a true bear, your post say,s it all really, and it brought a wee tear to my eye,and for that reason alone you should be yellow carded ! lol brilliant post! and sleep easy Mr Hubbard ....Rangers Penalty King ...WATP

I remember his 80th - fantastic night and I have my copy of the painting on the wall at home.

Is my memory playing tricks though, was Bobby Brown, Billie Ritchie and the Goalie not there.
I've memories of them sitting right beside us? Possible another night - there's been a few :)
I think you are right.

The word Legend is often thrown around lightly these days, but definitely not in Mr Hubbard's case. A true Legend that was lost this week.

Does anyone know where and when the funeral is?

If the family are ok with it being open to anyone, I wouldn't mind standing outside to show my respects.

For you mate

20180624_161656.jpg

Thanks to Paisleyprod and PrestwickBear for sharing some memories of Mr Hubbard with me.

Tribute To Johnny Hubbard MBE ( 16th December 1930 - 21st June 2018)

His name was Johnny Hubbard, Oh how we loved that man
To wear the Light Blue shirt was God's masterplan
He wore it with great honour and no one can deny
That man called Johnny Hubbard was the apple of our eye

His birth place was Pretoria, Ibrox was his home
He graced the hallowed turf with grace and great aplomb
He terrorised defenders, ran amok down that left wing
When it came to taking penalties he was proudly called the King

On the First Day of the New Year in Nineteen Fifty Five
It had been appointed, his greatest hour did arrive
He put Celtic to the sword and did it with a smile
For Johnny scored a hat trick in the Johnny Hubbard style