A word for Gio

TerrySilverLoyal

Absolutely spot on tonight for me and he’s an actual credit to the club. Another chunk of change tonight which is huge

I just like how fluid he is. Sometimes it may not come off. I wasn’t alone scratching my head last week. But he has balls the size of grapefruits.

The right subs. He could have said bring off Tillman as he started to tire and was out of position. But moving him back in and matondo on ended up getting the reward with the header at the end.

I’m still convinced to this day if he wasn’t managing us dortmund run over the top of us second half at Ibrox.

He’s a very very clever manager and just exudes a calmness that I think the players respect and like.

On to next week. Huge task ahead as they are a right good team but hoping the knowledge of PSV from the staff may stand us in good stead.

When Sands looked to have been going off, I was questioning why he hadn't taken him off. Again, he's made the right changes and it's paid off.

He's got far more right than wrong. Obviously the team are drilled well enough to change it up when needs be and that's something we've needed for a long time.

Quite similar to the squad, Europe suits Gio and is where his strengths work best.

The attitude and application in Europe has been first class, spoiled rotten these days.

He still throws in the odd howler of a team selection, our three worst performances, last week, the chamber of Secrets and Pittodrie last year were on him.
So shall we just keep talking about poor results from last year - even though we are in a new season. Why don’t we mention malmo and who was responsible for that. In fact let’s concentrate on all the bad results from past ten years and hold it against the various managers. You are a tough audience.

So shall we just keep talking about poor results from last year - even though we are in a new season. Why don’t we mention malmo and who was responsible for that. In fact let’s concentrate on all the bad results from past ten years and hold it against the various managers. You are a tough audience.
Sorry I was talking about a bad performance from last week unless you’ve got short term amnesia!

Gio is a top class manager... Unfortunately those who don't believe in him will always be fucking idiots who don't have a clue and too stubborn to admit they are fucking idiots who don't have a clue.... We live in a world with fucking idiots who don't have a clue sadly.

Last edited:
I never seen that result coming with his team selection. Said in a group chat that I hope he knows better than us what he's doing.

Turns out he does. But cynically, better opposition would have punished our sloppiness and losing possession.

But I won't go deeper than that tonight. We got the result and he deserves enormous praise for the turnaround.

Given the nonsense that was aimed at him on here last week with regards his inability to change things or set us up in the right way it is great to see once again that thrown back in folks faces.

He has many times now in European games set us up in one way to get the job done or change things to alter the game when it’s not working. That to me has shown him to be far more savvy tactically then his predecessor.

Sorry I was talking about a bad performance from last week unless you’ve got short term amnesia!
No need to apologise. You mentioned the Aberdeen game and game against them from last year ….. not sure if we should keep tainting the guy with a few bad results - two of which were last season?

We need to be up tempo all the time. I get it’s not easy v 10 at the back with six hammer throwers but everything has to be done with urgency. Not harping back but Gerrard called it creating chaos. That’s what we need in the SPFL.

Tonight, credit to Gio, that game alone is worth about £8-9M with gate receipts tonight, next game, prize money and TV money v PSV. Hopefully the big cash prize is even closer this time next Tuesday.

He deserves all the credit in Europe, he's barely put a foot wrong.

Needs to try and figure out how to break down teams in Scotland.

I never seen that result coming with his team selection. Said in a group chat that I hope he knows better than us what he's doing.

Turns out he does. But cynically, better opposition would have punished our sloppiness and losing possession.

But I won't go deeper than that tonight. We got the result and he deserves enormous praise for the turnaround.
I don't think you can attribute players being loose in possession on the manager, it's not tactics or shape that, that's on the player.

It's another good result for the manager who doesn't seem to be afforded as many errors as his predecessor.

Just wish he'd be less cautious in certain games but he got most things spot on tonight.

Was surprised Kent lasted the full 90 as I thought he looked knackered the last 15-20 mins.

Absolutely spot on tonight for me and he’s an actual credit to the club. Another chunk of change tonight which is huge

I just like how fluid he is. Sometimes it may not come off. I wasn’t alone scratching my head last week. But he has balls the size of grapefruits.

The right subs. He could have said bring off Tillman as he started to tire and was out of position. But moving him back in and matondo on ended up getting the reward with the header at the end.

I’m still convinced to this day if he wasn’t managing us dortmund run over the top of us second half at Ibrox.

He’s a very very clever manager and just exudes a calmness that I think the players respect and like.

On to next week. Huge task ahead as they are a right good team but hoping the knowledge of PSV from the staff may stand us in good stead.
I think he'll go on to be one of the great managers of a generation. I'm convinced by it. He's done wonders for us and I said in another thread he is a class act. Rangers class.

I like that, nice positive post.

That’s the arena you are in I guess. Did think one near the end their number 11 a top striker takes that on the left first time
Just wish he'd be less cautious in certain games but he got most things spot on tonight.

Was surprised Kent lasted the full 90 as I thought he looked knackered the last 15-20 mins.
ridiculous off the ball sprinting at times to get back and defend.

When Sands looked to have been going off, I was questioning why he hadn't taken him off. Again, he's made the right changes and it's paid off.

He's got far more right than wrong. Obviously the team are drilled well enough to change it up when needs be and that's something we've needed for a long time.
He should have been subbed at ht for looking Shakey and being on a yellow. Got away with it.

Apart from that he was spot on

That was a very bold starting eleven, particularly in midfield, and he got it very right. He has the potential of being a really good Rangers manger, in his character as well and so on. Hopefully he gets this team playing even better as the season goes on.

We need to be up tempo all the time. I get it’s not easy v 10 at the back with six hammer throwers but everything has to be done with urgency. Not harping back but Gerrard called it creating chaos. That’s what we need in the SPFL.

Tonight, credit to Gio, that game alone is worth about £8-9M with gate receipts tonight, next game, prize money and TV money v PSV. Hopefully the big cash prize is even closer this time next Tuesday.
Quick throws, quick free kicks, keep the ball moving at all times.

See with throws, none of this waiting till the FB gets up, closest player plays it quick and forward (where possible) dont let them settle.

A word for Gio, adaptable. Yes he has made a few mistakes, but its not always about what you do the opposition have a say in it as well. He learns from them as well, he has a team that have faith in him and he has faith in them.

I think even when the results don’t go our way (last week, the Europa league final,etc) you can still see the logic in what he’s trying to do.
Good turnaround as I was seriously doubting him when our league form went to shit after Christmas.

Good turnaround as I was seriously doubting him when our league form went to shit after Christmas.
Me too.

I was so fucking annoyed we let tbe East End Gimps take the league. We tbrew it away with that 6 to 8 week spell after the break and allowing those cunts to win at Ibrox.

Still rankles with me. But fair play, after last week's horror show, we've turned it around.

He still throws in the odd howler of a team selection, our three worst performances, last week, the chamber of Secrets and Pittodrie last year were on him.
There's a moon which is in dire need of some shite being hurled at, I think you're just the man for the job.

"GIO, GIO... GIOVANNI, GIOVANNI... GIOVANNI van BRONCKHORST!!" :shh: B-D:shh:

Reactions: SDR
If we get to the CL group stages we will already be ahead of the east end gimps, money wise we reach the groups we invest January and that terrifies them, Gio has them on the ropes two more rounds, play safe we are looking good.

I've said it from the day he was appointed: he's a significant upgrade on Steven Gerrard & company. Some on here (including at least one Admin) seem not to have realized it. Gio doesn't throw his players under the bus (SG did that regularly, especially in his first season). He can make extremely effective tactical changes during a game (not sure SG / Beale ever did that). And (I couldn't have said this until this past week or two) it looks like he knows how to recruit players. Lawrence - outstanding. Tillman - I suspect he's still not fully fit, but he looks very promising. Matondo - jury still out, for me, but I'll give it time. Yilmaz - looks good, and just signing the young guy may have delivered a required kick up Borna's backside (and have provided a replacement if Borna isn't up to it).

I'm glad, for Gio, that he now has his own chant at Ibrox.

Last edited:
Gio is a top class manager... Unfortunately those who don't believe in him will always be fucking idiots who don't have a clue and too stubborn to admit they are fucking idiots who don't have a clue.... We live in a world with fucking idiots who don't have a clue sadly.
^^^^^^

And a few of them are on FF, sadly.

Tactically best manager we've had in years and I think the players would admit that. Not as much a commanding presence as Gerrard, but has his number when it comes to tactical nous imo.

Tactically best manager we've had in years and I think the players would admit that. Not as much a commanding presence as Gerrard, but has his number when it comes to tactical nous imo.
Won a premier league (unlike SG). Won the CL (and the only player in that Barcelona team that played every game). Captain his country in a world cup final (unlike SG). Not too shabby, I'd say.

Won a premier league (unlike SG). Won the CL (and the only player in that Barcelona team that played every game). Captain his country in a world cup final (unlike SG). Not too shabby, I'd say.
Your spot on tbh mate, maybe giving Gerrard bit more credit than he's due. But my main point still stands a think gio is best manager we've had tactically in recent times.

Reactions: SDR
I'm not sure there's a manager out there who could have done better in Europe with this squad (so far). If he gets to the Champions League group stage, it'll be a huge achievement and could allow us to bring in a couple more quality players.

He still has a bit to learn domestically where I think we should be dominating every match from the off - but he offered us a slight improvement there too last season when he came in, so hopefully he continues on an upwards trajectory.

Next step - get Davies, Kent, Morelos, Yilmaz, Tillman, Matondo & Lawrence some more minutes ahead of a couple of big matches against PSV where we'll probably need them all.

A great night for us and GVB but he either gets it really right like tonight, or really wrong like last week

Some decisions are baffling

Back