A word to the detractors...

Bangersbc

FF seems swarmed with gleeful lurkers this morning. Either that or disappointment has stripped some of all of their senses.

Stories of individuals players not pulling thier weight, to the crowd energy, to the wholes team performance being a let down.

Let me remind you:

- we were not the fancied team in this game for a reason.
- we have had to endure far more knockout football than our opponents had this year.
- our players kept us in this game in roasting hot consitions, having got us to a final that none of us had any right to expect and against all odds.
- had Tav's freekick or Kent's late chance gone in, there would be literally no crisitism of the team at all today. Quote the opposite. It would rightly have gone down as our greatest ever achievement.
- after 120 minutes, both teams had shown enough to win the trophey. Penalties is effectively a coin toss.
- the penalties were excellent quality from both teams. Bar the obvious one, theyw ere really top quality. But their Japanese boy had massive luck going in off the post. Millimeters from advantage us at the time. Had that gone wide we would likely have seen a very different story at the end of the night. And even had we won on penalties, no-one would have dared criticise the boys the next morning for bring home a cup.

My point: our boys did everything needed to bring that trophy home.

it may have gone home with another team, but this was literally by the finest of margins.

Whilst we are all naturally disappointed by having come so close, we should all be immensely proud of our boys.the Frankfurt players were no more deserving of the trophy than our lads, and they will be hurting more than us.

Let us not forget also. Our boys picked up European medals last night. Runners up perhaps, but more than we could ever have dreamed of over the last few years. And we will look back on this campaign soon with immense joy and pride. No team can come closer to silverware than we did last night (without lifting it yourself).

So to the detractors and blamers. Stop making a full of yourself today. We were millimeters from glory. The only "disgrace" is your reaction.

FF seems swarmed with gleeful lurkers this morning. Either that or disappointment has stripped some of all of their senses.

Stories of individuals players not pulling thier weight, to the crowd energy, to the wholes team performance being a let down.

Let me remind you:

- we have had to endure far more knockout football than our opponents had this year.
- our players kept us in this game in roasting hot consitions, having got us to a final that none of us had any right to expect and against all odds.
- had Tav's freekick or Kent's late chance gone in, there would be literally no crisitism of the team at all today. Quote the opposite. It would rightly have gone down as our greatest ever achievement.
- after 120 minutes, both teams had shown enough to win the trophey. Penalties is effectively a coin toss.
- the penalties were excellent quality from both teams. Bar the obvious one, theyw ere really top quality. But their Japanese boy had massive luck going in off the post. Millimeters from advantage us at the time. Had that gone wide we would likely have seen a very different story at the end of the night. And even had we won on penalties, no-one would have dared criticise the boys the next morning for bring home a cup.

it may have gone home with another team, but this was literally by the finest of margins.

Whilst we are all naturally disappointed by having come so close, we should all be immensely proud of our boys.the Frankfurt players were no more deserving of the trophy than our lads, and they will be hurting more than us.

Let us not forget also. Our boys picked up European medals last night. Runners up perhaps, but more than we could ever have dreamed of over the last few years. And we will look back on this campaign soon with immense joy and pride. No team can come closer to silverware than we did last night (without lifting it yourself).

So to the detractors and blamers. Stop making a full of yourself today. We were millimeters from glory. The only "disgrace" is your reaction.
100 percent correct. Lurkers on here being exposed today.

People are upset, but need to grow up a bit!

Some of the utter drivel written on here is unreal.

We did amazing getting to the final, it was a 50/50 lottery, we were severely hampered by Morelos/Roofe situation and still made it, still made a game of it, and missed with a poor penalty.
We move on. Remember it fondly and hope we live to see another.

Agree with all of that mate. See as much as this hurts, we need to back the players and Gio massively on Saturday and help them over the line. They gave us nights that won’t be forgotten in that run, let’s send them off to the summer and pastures new for a lot of them on a high

Let me remind you:

Bang on!!

Let me remind you:

Great post.

I am absolutely gutted, more lurking today as don’t have the energy to end up arguing with other bears over some of the posts that are coming up , especially ones critical of those who left as soon as was over, There is two sides to that argument with the stories of lack of water & was a quick back to transport for most (even if game finished at regular time)

The biggest tragedy for me is after 3 or 4 years together this squad is likely about to be pulled apart by comings and goings and it's a tough note to end on.

We needed 7 or 8 players to be an 8 out of 10.

What we got was 8 or 9 players on a 4 out of 10.

Only Bassey gets passmarks.

Is that really good enough or acceptable??

Unfortunately people think criticism is justified to make themselves feel better. But at the end of the day it doesn’t change anything, there’s always fine margins in games of that magnitude…

I’m heartbroken but I’m not looking for someone to blame, be it a player, manager or for some crazy reason, fans!?!?

It’s done, we should be grateful we even got as far as we did - it’s sickening to lose but it’s some achievement to get there considering the money ploughed into other leagues.

It will take me a long time to get over this but unlike domestic football I don’t expect us to win every game we play, we go again on Saturday and hopefully get a trophy in a week the players and fans deserve something in!

I’ve noticed on BBC Sport they are out in force down-voting the positive stuff said about Rangers. Really sad people.

Can't wait for rangers to bring out a theatre show,various books,a wall at Ibrox,a suite named after seville....
I mean we are hurting but the idea of celebrating a loss like this is mind blowing. They are a special (in) breed.

Is the fan award still a thing. If we can get that, theyd be destroyed as badly as if we had won the actual tournament

Let me remind you:

Brilliant post.
The players emptied the tank on that pitch to bring it home.
But you will always get the moaners unfortunately.
T.Y.V.M. to everyone on that pitch tonight, it just wasn't to be.
Yes I'm hurting who wouldn't be, but to stick the boot into these guys, go and have a hard look at yourselves.

Brilliant post.
The players emptied the tank on that pitch to bring it home.
But you will always get the moaners unfortunately.
T.Y.V.M. to everyone on that pitch tonight, it just wasn't to be.
Yes I'm hurting who wouldn't be, but to stick the boot into these guys, go and have a hard look at yourselves.

We were the better team in some aspects and I don’t blame any of the players, they done their best.

Two points though.

Frankfurt fans were levels above our fans, and that is just how it was.

Our missed penalty was really, really poor.

It hurts badly but I try to think back to qualifying out the groups, where every step after that was a bonus. For Leipzig away all I wanted was for us to keep it tight enough to have a chance. For Leipzig at home all I wanted was to qualify - and was rewarded with the best night at Ibrox in my 63 years.
I may be lucky enough to see us in a Euro final again, I may not. But I won't forget this Euro run any time soon. And on Saturday I hope we put all this pain and blame behind us and give the team the thanks they deserve.
And hope the team give us the cup we deserve.

This team has taken me and my daughter on a journey we'll never ever forget. Thursday nights at Ibrox. Coming from behind v Braga and RB.
That semi final night will live with me till the day I die. The atmosphere will never be beaten. The emotion when Lundstram scored and at the final whistle.
A mad cap 48 hours to travel to Seville via Manchester and Gibraltar and home again. A trip of ferries, cars, planes and taxis.A trip on which my parents joined us.
The build up to game in the fanzones and under the bridge. The feeling g when Aribo scored and then the feeling when Ramsey didn't. A roller-coaster for which I'd pay handsomely again to get on. A different ending next time of course but for all that goes with it...sign me up!!
Thank you to Gio and the lads for an experience of a life time. You done us proud.
We will bounce back form this.We are Rangers

We were never behind in 120 minutes of European final football, against a team unbeaten in this year's competition, including Barcelona and West Ham. We finished the stronger side in extra time, with two chances to win saved by their goalkeeper. All of this in 30+ degrees and high humidity.

For me, I plan to remember this final as a creditable draw against a fine opponent, and no amount of armchair critic whining is going to diminish that for me. This run has been exceptional

I mean we are hurting but the idea of celebrating a loss like this is mind blowing. They are a special (in) breed.

Is the fan award still a thing. If we can get that, theyd be destroyed as badly as if we had won the actual tournament
Oh aye I forgot about that even to this day the 19th Century Terrorists still go on about that like they won the fucking tournament fucking soap dodging bastsrds

This team has taken me and my daughter on a journey we'll never ever forget. Thursday nights at Ibrox. Coming from behind v Braga and RB.
That semi final night will live with me till the day I die. The atmosphere will never be beaten. The emotion when Lundstram scored and at the final whistle.
A mad cap 48 hours to travel to Seville via Manchester and Gibraltar and home again. A trip of ferries, cars, planes and taxis.A trip on which my parents joined us.
The build up to game in the fanzones and under the bridge. The feeling g when Aribo scored and then the feeling when Ramsey didn't. A roller-coaster for which I'd pay handsomely again to get on. A different ending next time of course but for all that goes with it...sign me up!!
Thank you to Gio and the lads for an experience of a life time. You done us proud.
We will bounce back form this.We are Rangers
Absolutely spot on brother.NO SURRENDER!

This needs to be a sticky!

Great post
I wouldn’t disagree with that at all. One defensive lapse, one more composed finish, one decent penalty or further outstretched hand.

Fine, fine margins. No blame on the players for me, they have given us wonderful memories over the course of this European campaign.

Let me remind you:

Let me remind you:

Let me remind you:

What a post mate.

I have bookmarked this to reflect further on it and pass it onto good Bears.

I'm devastated, like most of us are. The players, manager & staff will be more so and I couldn't be more proud of what they have given us this season and the journey they have taken us on in Europe.

Being a Ranger is about backing them to the death, in the good times and the bad.

The past decade is testament to that.

We have a Scottish Cup Final to play for on Saturday. Something we haven't won since the 08/09 season & what a run that was with another European final & the league.

If you're not willing to back them on Saturday for the entirety of that game, pass on your tickets to Bears who will be loud and proud for the duration.

No Surrender!

Kent's goal goes in and we're likely going on to win the trophy. Kamada's penalty an inch or so to the left and the penalty shoot out is a different story perhaps. A game of fine margins, and unfortunately it didn't go our way last night. We didn't play our best and too many critical players were off it, and even though Frankfurt are a good team and very good on the ball, if we were at our usual levels I believe we'd have won it.

This team is practically running on fumes at the moment with no recognised striker and having to rely on players like Wright and Sakala, who are in my opinion out of their depth at this level. 120 minutes plus penalties in that heat. They took us all the way and made us dream. Wasn't to be, but I am so proud of this group of players.

Well said the narrative is being set by some that Frankfurt were by far the better team when they were not.we had spells in the game where we controlled it.obly one team looked like winning it in extra time and that was us.we were pushing for the winner

Great post. Today’s a different disappointment to ‘08 - then, we knew we were outclassed, and we just accepted that. Last night was different, as we could have won it right at the end, and were the better team towards the end of the game - this makes the disappointment more pronounced, but also makes the pride stronger - we went to a European final, and got involved in a right good scrap, losing by the finest of margins.

Looking online, much of the feedback from neutral fans was that it was a great final, in the sense that it was two ‘old-school’ teams who really wanted it, with great (but not top-level) players battling each other & the elements. I get the sense that the neutral fan is rather sick of the Man City type teams with their hyper-stars, appearing in all the finals, and them lacking the intensity of last night’s game. I’m proud of how we handled ourselves last night, and that we’re still a club with a heart, rather than a franchise with a Saudi/American owner.

I’m proud to be a Rangers fan today - we’ve made a lot of friends over this campaign.

Well said the narrative is being set by some that Frankfurt were by far the better team when they were not.we had spells in the game where we controlled it.obly one team looked like winning it in extra time and that was us.we were pushing for the winner
Rangers made them look ordinary. As we have all through the campaign

I actually thought we played decent in many ways, we were struggling badly to find any rhythm at all for the entire game, but we managed to find it finally in ET and came so so close

Let me remind you:

In a sea of shite, your post is a tampon of sanity

People forget Frankfurt were on their own “journey”, they too were desperate to get back to former glory and had sunk everything into this tournament.
We lost a penalty shoot out
We lost to a very good side with an excellent record in the competition .
We played our part in a pretty good final.
We contributed to the competition at every level.

Disappointed? Of course.
Proud of the Players, Fans and Club? Definitely.

Last edited:

Let me remind you:

Coming away without the trophy is hard to take but the game itself actually ended up in a draw. As the op says, when it gets to the penalty stage it becomes a lottery.

Let me remind you:

Great post mate. Spot on. I agree some of the nonsense being spouted is from fans of the abusers or people who have lost their minds.

Some of them at work are decent enough not to rub salt in our wounds but there are others enjoying gleefully sticking the boot in with their gloaty comments. :mad:

63 years old and that was one of the longest and toughest days of my life
We came so very close but the Germans are past masters at penalties.
Gio had lots of problems with missing or half fit players. Fine margins
Got interviewed by French TV after the game. Stressed my disappointment but pride in my team and congrats to Frankfurt.

The amount of folk on social media who were desperate for there to be trouble in Seville, never mind desperate for us to lose, just sums up this small-minded parochial wee shitehole.

Let me remind you:

Could not agree more, a very proud if dissapointed bear this morning - this will make us stronger no question.

Everyone else have your bitter non-bears trying to run it in this morning? I had a hibee tell me to get it round me as I arrived at work this morning.

1. D!ck move.
2. The irony!

They really do hate us more than they love their own club. The prospect of us winning only our 2nd major trophy in 10 years in a competition they weren't even in was really boiling their p!as for some reason. Small small people in this world.

Everyone else have your bitter non-bears trying to run it in this morning? I had a hibee tell me to get it round me as I arrived at work this morning.

1. D!ck move.
2. The irony!

They really do hate us more than they love their own club. The prospect of us winning only our 2nd major trophy in 10 years in a competition they weren't even in was really boiling their p!as for some reason. Small small people in this world.

You just described about 92.6% of Scottish Clubs.

Sad and pathetic bunch of bastards.

Back