Aaron Hickey: Bayern Munich, Bologna & Aston Villa chasing Hearts teenager

Shelf Corp are due a third of any fee they get, IMO aside from the cup final I haven’t seen him stand out particularly.

This laddie will be going nowhere. A wee boy playing a mans game. Hearts marketing him as they are skint. The championship awaits son.....

He’s never done it against us, but he was only 17 and apparently in 4 appearances against us he only played his natural position once?

Twice at RB so up against Barisic and Kent, once at CB so against Morelos, not exactly easy for a 17 year old! Presumably he has something he’s just not shown against us.

If any truth in the rumours then any of these teams would be an unbelievable move for him. In the few occasions ive seen him can't say i've been impressed.

Prob a plant for the poets to sign him in a few weeks and show it as some sort of coup
That’s possible defo Celtic fan family .
Was told last year he was switching to a major agency and it was angled at major clubs and Tim’s were watching developments .
Seems to me this was all to get him a move which will be accelerated by the happenings. You would think .

Last edited:
mentally challengeds asking hearts to be kept informed. I hope they told them to get fúcked

All I remember about this guy is that we always got joy against hearts down his side if the pitch. Have no idea how hes talked about as the next superstar. Bang average for me.

like Andy Robertson Eh?
I'd put on more money than I can safely afford to lose that Hicky won't have half the career of Robertson. But if it's true that these teams are in for him they must be seeing something I and others aren't.But I l'm pretty confident that you won't see them in many sentences together comparing them in the future.

Bayern Munich, Bologna and Aston Villa? Just covering all angles there. 3 totally different teams with different ambitions.

Would be like linking a player with us and Raith Rovers

I don't see why it's beyond the realms of possibility. Most of these European clubs will be scouting in every league and someone who's starting/playing regularly at 17 is going to flag up for most of them as someone to keep an eye on. He might be nowhere near good enough in the long run but the fact that he's broken into the team and featured that often at his age is impressive.

Prob a plant for the poets to sign him in a few weeks and show it as some sort of coup

They bought him as an academy player 3/4 years ago and let him go back to hearts as he wasn’t up to their standards.

They hold a 30% sell in clause as the payment for him going back, so hearts would need to try and get decent money if they to keep anything worthwhile.

Bayern Munich, my fucking hairy farter. :))

Scottish players are doing relatively well in England and Robertson/Tierney are pretty high profile just now. Fraser at Bournemouth would be a good signing for most teams in that league and Bundesliga teams seem to be making a conscious effort to bring in younger British players right now.

I won't rip on the kid as I want to see as many youths excel as possible.
I'd just say that I can see him making a decent career in Scotland or League 1 / lower Championship England unless he majorly improves which is entirely possible later in his career - see Fleck.
Maybe we should not rip on him but hope youths in this country start stepping up - mainly our own of course but others too.

This story is for one purpose only.

It's so when Celtic sign him they can pretend that they were preferred to the likes of Bayern, who were never interested in the first place

I genuinely wouldn't swap him for Patterson.

If we sign someone with a bit of pace or directness for the right hand side, or put Kent in there, they'll have an absolute field day against the likes of Bolingoli, Taylor or Hickey.

At that age just consistently earning your place is the sign of a good player. Could go far in the game but still a lot to develop and not guaranteed. Needs to find a bigger team but also one where he can play regular meaningful games

He's awful. Positioning sense is non-existent.

Has the technical ability of a block of cheese.
Come on. He’s 17. He does have technical ability and is properly two-footed. I’m not convinced he’s a full back, but too early to tell. The story is probably a lot of pish, but I do hope he ends up going abroad and does well. Why wouldn’t anyone?

Would be some move for him if he ends up at Bologna. He’s versatile in that he can play both left and right back. Seen some ability glimpses... but he always seems to have a poor game when he plays us.

I hope it works out for him, Scottish football needs as many Young Scottish players playing in the top leagues as possible.

Would be some move for him if he ends up at Bologna. He’s versatile in that he can play both left and right back. Seen some ability glimpses... but he always seems to have a poor game when he plays us.

I hope it works out for him, Scottish football needs as many Young Scottish players playing in the top leagues as possible.

So what was it with Hearts that caused us so many problems at Tynecastle?

I do agree though that it would be a great move for him and getting more Scottish players at the top level is a good thing.

I hope 5 years from now we are not curing ourselves for not making a move for this kid.

He looked good technically so there’s definitely something there to work with. Positional sense and physicality will improve over time given he’s still a kid. Wouldn’t be surprised if he goes on to have a good career but there’s certainly a long way to go.

I don't see why it's beyond the realms of possibility. Most of these European clubs will be scouting in every league and someone who's starting/playing regularly at 17 is going to flag up for most of them as someone to keep an eye on. He might be nowhere near good enough in the long run but the fact that he's broken into the team and featured that often at his age is impressive.
It’s beyond the realms of possibility because he’s just a very poor player. His positional sense is nonexistent, he offers nothing going forward, defensively he was the weakest link in a terrible Hearts team.

Anytime I've seen the boy play I haven't been overly impressed. Think his performances have suffered from the weight of expectation on his young shoulders, especially in a struggling Hearts team.

However if we're to believe there's EPL and European teams sniffing around him then good luck to the boy. If he's gonna be good then and he doesnt come to us then be can go anywhere as long as he doesn't go to the Kiddy Fiddlers.

Would be good for him to move on, he's already played a full season in the SPFL so a 3/4 season in the championship for him would be pointless. Hearts will get a good fee for him, so suits both parties.

For what it's worth, I think he will be a decent player, although he's certainly never going to be a modern full back. Really depends how he develops physically, he could end up playing anywhere across the back, or in central midfield as it stands.

Many writing him off after a couple of bad performances against us, it must be remembered that h'es a 17 year old, playing in the worst team in the league last season. I think he would show up a lot better in a decent side that is capable of dominating games.

It’s beyond the realms of possibility because he’s just a very poor player. His positional sense is nonexistent, he offers nothing going forward, defensively he was the weakest link in a terrible Hearts team.

And Bayern choosing to send a scout to work that out for themselves is beyond the realms of possibility? Also as many have pointed out he's 18 and they may be expecting him to develop on those aspects of his game but are impressed with some other technical skills at a young age.

Last edited:
German giants Bayern Munich are set to hand Hearts left back Aaron Hickey a VIP tour of their facilities.

The 18-year-old is at the heart of a transfer tug of war as he enters the final year of his Tynecastle contract.

Serie A side Bologna have already outlined their plans to develop the full-back's career. As Sportsmail revealed in June, however, Bundesliga champions Bayern are also keen.

Former Celtic youngster Liam Morrison is already part of the club's academy set-up.

And Scotland under-19 international Hickey is now set to take up an invitation to fly to Bavaria to see the set-up for himself this weekend.

Aston Villa and Celtic also retain an interest and, while Hearts have yet to receive a formal offer for the coveted teenager, Bologna's recruitment policy technical director Walter Sabatini hinted at a move for Hickey when he said: 'It's no secret we are looking for a full back and a centre midfielder because the team needs to be reinforced

'From an economic point of view, we feel there is better value in the market outside Italy. If you want a tip about our next signing, I can tell you he will be a young player from abroad.

'We want a player who is comfortable attacking and is also a goal threat. We have improved and expanded our level of scouting and are looking at different markets. Our aim is to keep our best players and expand the squad with good young players for next season.'

The Scotland under-19 full-back also features on a list of options for Aston Villa after they survived the drop from the English Premier League. And on Tuesday night former Hearts boss Craig Levein claimed Celtic tried to buy Hickey 'five or six times.'

'Celtic tried to buy him back half-a-dozen times and that just got knocked back,' Levein told BBC Radio Scotland.

‘Celtic tried to buy him back while he was in the first team, I think it was five or six times.'

Levein, who was also Hearts' director of football, added: 'He's got really good defensive qualities. He likes defending, which is a rare thing these days.

'He might end up going back into the midfield area. I think he'd be a fantastic holding midfield player with his great awareness of danger and his ability to get out of tight situations with the ball at his feet.'

If he’s going into his final year then we should be all over him. Young promising Scottish player who we can potentially get on a free? No brainer for me.

Seems like he's been linked with moves like this for the past 3 years. Probably still be getting described as having great potential when he turns 31 playing for Alloa. I don't see it with him at all. Any time we've played them he's looked every inch the weak link in the Hearts defence.
Who was that geezer that played for Dundee Utd and signed for Benfica? All hype no substance, this reminds me of him.

Who was that geezer that played for Dundee Utd and signed for Benfica? All hype no substance, this reminds me of him.
Ryan Gauld? I think it was Sporting he signed for, but I think he's playing now in the Second Division in Portugal.

Always felt he had been thrown in over his head by Hearts. Anytime we played them he got thrown about and looked as though he clearly wasn’t ready for the first team.

Good luck to him if these rumours are true might just save his career leaving Hearts

If he signs for Bayern he will be into their B side. Think their regular LB has just left for Willem II.

Every time I have seen him he has looked like what he is, a little boy lost.

There is no chance he goes anywhere bar the Tims or L1 in England

Back